: my first mod

the little STS
02-13-04, 07:05 AM
i bought a k&n drop in wat kinda power can i expect???

Anthony Cipriano
02-13-04, 12:14 PM
i bought a k&n drop in wat kinda power can i expect???

Expect explosive power that you probably wont be able to handle without extensive training. Actually, expect zero to none. The OEM paper filter element flows fine and is more than adequate for the Northstar engine. Of course, after having spent $50 on an air filter it is certainly going to feel faster - but it really isn't. You'll get a nice placebo affect, though.

the little STS
02-13-04, 12:24 PM
thanx for the bring down

Aurora By Olds
02-13-04, 01:13 PM
If you're going to do a K&N, do a good cold air intake with cone filter. Make sure it has an effective heat shield too, that's the most important part. I don't know what kind of power increase you can see out of a cold air w/cone, but I have heard dyno's of 5 - 10hp. Whether they're true or not, I dont know, but IMO, the throaty sound you get at WOT is priceless...

Anthony Cipriano
02-13-04, 03:17 PM
thanx for the bring down

Sorry, dude but you asked! Just think how many new, clean paper filters you could have bought for the price of that one K&N.

the little STS
02-13-04, 04:27 PM
watever it just sounds cool im runnin a k&n lolololol so ya but for now its coool

the little STS
02-13-04, 11:42 PM
i have been driving all night the k&n feels alot better considering my paper filter was black and dusty

beemer2k
02-14-04, 12:57 AM
I haven't personally tested whether a cone filter is better than the stock airbox, but Bruce Nunnally (or at least someone on his website) has. He performed an experiment and determined that the stock airbox with a drop in K&N performs better than a cone filter. The speed difference is, apparently, between 1 and 2 tenths in the 0-60. ;)

elwesso
02-14-04, 02:51 PM
Anthony is right... K/N wont get you anything... Except more noise, but there is a resonator you can remove for free if you want more noise..... And more dirt in your engine..... But hell, you probably dont care about longevity!!!

You might get 1hp, but its been said it takes about 10-20 for you to really notice anything.....

for $50, you could have gotten a new filter every year for 5 years, GETTING RIPPED OFF at $10/filter.... I bought one for my grandparents FWB for $5 at advance... That means youd have filters for 10 years.....

To each there own... People like you keep these companies in business... :rolleyes:

Nottacop
04-23-04, 07:11 PM
What is the part # for the K&N drop in filter?

ShadowLvr400
04-23-04, 09:52 PM
Ok, Anthony's Mr bringdown on power mods, but, something that will make you feel better. With proper care, you should never have to replace that filter. It's relatively easy, and the filter cleaning kit is pretty cheap, lasts for a few cleanings.

Nottacop
04-23-04, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have a # for the K&N air filter. I bought one but it was too small. I need the # for one that will fit a 96 STS. Thanks in advance.:worship:

Anthony Cipriano
04-23-04, 10:51 PM
K&N filters don't make more power in a Northstar by just dropping in the K&N replacement panel. And, so what if they last forever. For what they cost you can buy clean paper filters forever and never have to buy the cleaning kit or go through the pain of cleaning it. Besides, when they are cleaned they need to be reoiled and you have to buy the special oil, too. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif And, if you put too much oil on the filter it will ruin the MAF sensor on 96 and later Northstars. Spend the time, money and energy on things that'll make the car faster and quit trying to make more power. That's not the key to making the car faster.

Allante North *
04-23-04, 11:35 PM
K&N filters don't make more power in a Northstar by just dropping in the K&N replacement panel. And, so what if they last forever. For what they cost you can buy clean paper filters forever and never have to buy the cleaning kit or go through the pain of cleaning it. Besides, when they are cleaned they need to be reoiled and you have to buy the special oil, too. :rolleyes2 And, if you put too much oil on the filter it will ruin the MAF sensor on 96 and later Northstars. Spend the time, money and energy on things that'll make the car faster and quit trying to make more power. That's not the key to making the car faster.

Well said! Now be kind and suggest some ways we can spend some money and energy to make these things faster if you PLEASE. I can't drive 55, and 70+ might get me a ticket anywhere but the track. At least tell us how to get to 70 ASAP if you please. Any tranny mods that you know of that will help? Thanks in advance and keep those honest and most helpful North* tips comming.

OlManRivah
04-24-04, 12:10 AM
I guess Mods might be OK for the Young and Foolish, lol!

I took a trip from Richmond to Gettysburg last week in my '97 Eldo and passed anybody I wanted to, great at stop lights (love to whip those Beamers) and got 27.8 mpg for the round trip.

Gotta luv it......:worship: !

Pimpin_Whity
04-24-04, 12:19 AM
I guess Mods might be OK for the Young and Foolish, lol!

I took a trip from Richmond to Gettysburg last week in my '97 Eldo and passed anybody I wanted to, great at stop lights (love to whip those Beamers) and got 27.8 mpg for the round trip.

Gotta luv it......:worship: !i feel you, especially on the bimmers. those kids (i'm 17 :rolleyes2 ) think they driving a ferrari when sitting in their 330Ci :drinker

elwesso
04-24-04, 11:28 AM
K&N filters don't make more power in a Northstar by just dropping in the K&N replacement panel. And, so what if they last forever. For what they cost you can buy clean paper filters forever and never have to buy the cleaning kit or go through the pain of cleaning it. Besides, when they are cleaned they need to be reoiled and you have to buy the special oil, too. :rolleyes2 And, if you put too much oil on the filter it will ruin the MAF sensor on 96 and later Northstars. Spend the time, money and energy on things that'll make the car faster and quit trying to make more power. That's not the key to making the car faster.

I couldnt have said it better..... WELL SAID!!!!!

HEED THIS ADVICE PEOPLE: If you had to pick one thing to believe, this is it!