: coolant leak - is this a bad fix?

Dubya
02-13-04, 12:13 AM
ive got a coolant leak. its been super cold, so i havn't really looked into it, but it seems to be comming from a connector on, or the radiator itself. i do make sure i have a extra supply in the overflow, so i don't run out. but i was at checkers, getting a fuel filter and the old guy there said they make somthing to put in your anti-freeze that stops leaks. can't remember what he called it, but anyone have any good or bad comments about this kind of stuff? a little skeptical...if it stops leaks, will it clogg stuff?

thanks

Anthony Cipriano
02-13-04, 01:21 PM
ive got a coolant leak. its been super cold, so i havn't really looked into it, but it seems to be comming from a connector on, or the radiator itself. i do make sure i have a extra supply in the overflow, so i don't run out. but i was at checkers, getting a fuel filter and the old guy there said they make somthing to put in your anti-freeze that stops leaks. can't remember what he called it, but anyone have any good or bad comments about this kind of stuff? a little skeptical...if it stops leaks, will it clogg stuff?

thanks

Read through the forum on all the posts about "coolant supplement". That's what he was talking about. Yes, it works and it will not clog heater cores or radiators if the correct material is used and used properly.

Use the GM coolant supplement pellets or the BarsLeaks "golden seal" brand powder in the clear tube - same stuff. 6 of the GM pellets or two tubes of the BarsLeaks "golden seal". Don't use any other sealer or any sort of "liquid aluminum" sealer or anything other than the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder or the GM pellets.

Install the sealer into one of the radiator hoses only. Don't put it into the pressurized surge tank. It must go directly into the radiator hose to be effective.

Anthony Cipriano
02-13-04, 01:23 PM
Go to the search feature and type in "coolant supplement" and read. That should answer all your questions.

Dubya
02-13-04, 05:42 PM
hey thanks, thats awesome news

i picked this stuff up at NAPA

http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

the one marked "HDC". in your other post, you said use 6 of GM's, or 12 of bar's leaks, because gm's are bigger. are these one's the size of gm's?? because there pretty big, 2.1 oz total, or 10grams a piece. there about the size of a bottle cap. btw, its a 4.0l "northstar" if it matters for how much to use (probably not)

thanks again

Anthony Cipriano
02-13-04, 11:32 PM
hey thanks, thats awesome news

i picked this stuff up at NAPA

http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

the one marked "HDC". in your other post, you said use 6 of GM's, or 12 of bar's leaks, because gm's are bigger. are these one's the size of gm's?? because there pretty big, 2.1 oz total, or 10grams a piece. there about the size of a bottle cap. btw, its a 4.0l "northstar" if it matters for how much to use (probably not)

thanks again

I would use 6 of the HDC pellets shown. Bars was marketing a much smaller pellet for awhile. the ones you got look like the same size as the GM pellets normally are.

eldoradoforsale
02-14-04, 06:53 PM
Mr. Anthony Cipriano:

I have been reading your advice on the coolant leak fix with the barleak. I am attempting it on my 1995 Eldorado.

I have a question. What about the small hose that enters just below the cap where you fill the coolant? Where does the other end of it below?

I noticed the other end out loose, and I am not sure if I knocked it out of somewhere accidentally.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony Cipriano
02-14-04, 11:06 PM
Mr. Anthony Cipriano:

I have been reading your advice on the coolant leak fix with the barleak. I am attempting it on my 1995 Eldorado.

I have a question. What about the small hose that enters just below the cap where you fill the coolant? Where does the other end of it below?

I noticed the other end out loose, and I am not sure if I knocked it out of somewhere accidentally.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Make sure that you put the BarsLeaks product or the GM coolant supplement pellets into the large radiator hose. Disconnect it at the radiator end or the engine end and put the material in the hose directly.

The small hose that you are describing has no connection on the other end. The fitting immediately beneath the pressure cap is simply an overflow port and the hose that is on it is there just to direct any overflow toward the ground. The hose just tucks down alongside the pressurized surge tank.

Do not put the coolant supplement/sealer into the pressurized surge tank. It will not be effective as it will not get dispersed through the system properly.

anothercaddiowner
02-21-04, 09:11 PM
The Northstar engine is designed such that an internal coolant leak into the oil is highly unlikely, even with a failed gasket. Only in the most catostropic gasket failures can coolant get into the oil and by then that is the least of the concerns!!! So the need for the supplement is dramaticlly reduced or eliminated on the Northstar of all years. The sealer is still recommended for insurance of good cooling system integrity against any external leaks. It is a very effective product (if the correct stuff is used correctly) and will even help protect against leakage of coolant into the combustion chamber if a head gasket does start to get weak or fail. Any Northstar with high miles/age can start to suffer from gasket fatigue and corrosion and even on newer and low mileage engines some casting porosity can open up over time leading to a leak or seepage that is harmless and cured by the coolant supplement. I still recommend it's use but it has been discontinued at the factory on the newer engines.

BTW.....the coolant supplement is just a sealer. It is the product of the company that markets under the BarsLeaks brand and is made up of ground up ginger root and walnut shells.... The supplement or sealer has nothing to do with controlling the pH of the coolant, corrosion inhibitors or anything like that. It will not "protect" gaskets from corrosion or failure. It is just a sealant. The tiny fibers of the sealant collect in a leak path and swell when exposed to air on the "leak" side thus plugging the leak. The fibers get chopped up over time by the water pump vanes and become less and less effective thus the supplement needs to be replaced/replenished with time. This is also the source of the "mud" or sludge sometimes observed in the tanks of radiators in high mileage engines. The supplement is just carried in suspension in the coolant. It does not dissolve the way salt dissolves in water. That is why the supplement needs to be added to a radiator hose or radiator tank where it can be exposed to the bulk flow of the coolant rather than be poured into the pressurized surge tank of a Northstar or the coolant recovery bottle.

engine coolant supplement sealant GM P/N 3634621