: Event Data Recorders (EDR's)

v-ape
08-15-06, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure if the V has one or not, but I assume it does. Is there any way to pull the data off of these to a personal laptop? I know that they sell similar devices to record all this info from your car for track use, but if we already have one, why not just pull the data off ourselves?

I just read an article in Time about a kid (17) who was racing a benz driven by another kid (19) and slammed in to a jeep killing the 2 occupants. The police looked at the EDR and determined that the vette was travelling at 139mph before impact and charged the teens with murder.

I dont know that I like Big Brother watching my driving habits, but I would like to look at them myself.

CIWS
08-15-06, 03:53 PM
I believe they can pull the last 30 seconds of the car's info, but I'm not 100% sure.

ChicagoCTS32
08-15-06, 04:27 PM
ewill3rd posted something about this a little while ago, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

I don't think it stores detailed information like you're looking for. I read about something called a "scanbox" that plugs into your odbII port that was only about $150.

heavymetals
08-15-06, 04:57 PM
link:Event Data Recorder Applications for Highway and Traffic Safety: Bibliography (http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/edr-site/bibliography.html)

JonCR96Z
08-16-06, 01:14 AM
I thought it was tied in the the SRS controller (Air Bag). So, when the Air Bags deployed it records the data. Maybe one of the reasons why you have to replace it in the event that you have a accident that blows airbags. I believe that if it was in the ECM (OBDII port), then someone would have designed a way to turn it off.

Jon