: Starting Irregularities

rheagrimm
08-15-06, 01:12 PM
I'm new to this forum and I did a search but I didn't find much on the subject. If anyone can shed a little light on this it would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2006 CTS-V and sometimes it's a little hard to start. When I crank it she will run for a second and then immediatly die like it wasn't getting enough gas to keep it running. If I turn the key off and then recrank it, it will generally start right up and keep running. Neither time would I touch the gas pedal. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for this because it happens intermittently when it is hot or cold. Is this normal? This is the first Cadillac I have ever owned and the first GM car I've had since my 1999 Corvette so I'm not up to date on GM cars. Back in the old days with carburators and mechanical fuel pumps this was common but with electronic fuel injection it doesn't seem like it should happen.:confused:

Poopie D
08-15-06, 02:01 PM
That is not normal at all for the V. I had a similar problem with my Envoy...the dealership just updated the computer programming and it was fine after that.

Could be something else...but I would start with a PCM update....

The Tony Show
08-15-06, 02:25 PM
Mine sometimes cranks a few extra times before it starts, but I've never had it stall after starting. Sounds like something is amiss.

P-Funk
08-15-06, 02:27 PM
I haven't had anything like that. I've had trouble starting mine (weak turnover) but once it starts, it stays on.

ctsvett
08-15-06, 11:35 PM
Ok, I have had that happen a few times.... You know what it was?

"cockpit error"

It freaked me out, but Bottom line the key after springing back from the "start" position was going back to the "acc" postion NOT the "on" position and the car would sputter out. Take a look when it does that to see if it is the key position.

Very easy to control, just dont let go so fast and dont press on the key release button.

just a thought.

Reed

rheagrimm
08-16-06, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I will check out what ctsvett said and do a little more troubleshooting. I thought too it may be substandard gasoline. If all else fails I guess I can take it back to the dealer.

rheagrimm
08-18-06, 10:38 AM

"cockpit error"

It freaked me out, but Bottom line the key after springing back from the "start" position was going back to the "acc" postion NOT the "on" position and the car would sputter out. Take a look when it does that to see if it is the key position.

Very easy to control, just dont let go so fast and dont press on the key release button.

just a thought.

Reed

It seems your advice was right on the money. Boy, these V's have some pretty sensitive ignition switches.:thumbsup:

keeksv
08-18-06, 11:55 AM

"cockpit error"

just a thought.

Reed

Mine has done various permutations of this on occasion, too. Glad they didn't have to tear apart your steering console.

VELOSE
08-18-06, 12:07 PM
I thought it was my superchips software for the Maggie causing the V to start sluggishly in the mornings. Actually, at first I thought it was my spark plugs. I changed them to a colder plug from NGK since many with Maggied V's recommend them. At the same time I had some MSD plug wires installed. That didn't help it from starting like a slug but it did give me peace of mind with the maggie. Now after reading this thread, I guess it's a GM thing instead.