: Considering Purchase of 04/05 CTS-V

kilrbz
08-15-06, 10:04 AM
Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing an '04 or '05 CTS-V, so I figured I'd stop by here and get educated by the experts first. I've been reading about all the diff issues people have been having and now I'm thinking maybe its not such a good idea. Is the problem really as pervasive as it seems - more of a when than if proposition? I don't intend to drag race or autocross the car. I understand thats not really what its for. But I don't want to be best friends with the service writer at my local Caddy dealer either.

Thanks in advance for any input.

04CTSVforMe
08-15-06, 10:38 AM
I have no problems with the rea-end or drivetrain noise. It is exactly what I would expect from a Z06 drivetrain, and frankly it performs, acts, and breaks about as much as the Z06's I've seen and been in.

I don't drag or race mine, either and I totally love it all around. Look at the survey results and you'll see that realistically, not THAT many people have the troubles that could dissuade a potential V owner reading these boards.

Disclaimer: I do not deny that there are problems or could be improvements of said drivetrain issues. I just don't think they are outside of my expectations. I believe a big part of that is I moved into the CTS-V from a Camaro SS which exhibited some of the "problem" traits, and it is not unexpected from my previous LS-x drivetrain experience.

Get a V! You'll smile everytime you drive it! :highfive:

naiculnila
08-15-06, 11:22 AM
I'm defenitly BFFF (best friend for ever) with my service advisor.
In fact he has become the friend you would cross the street for to avoid.

But like the post above said....

Most people don't have issues, but if you are one of the unlucky few, GOOD LUCK!

My LemonLaw suit is just months away....awaiting in anticipation!

Holmes815
08-15-06, 11:55 AM
GET ONE; that's all I can say. I've had mine for about 2 and a 1/2 months and it was by far the best decision I ever made in buying anything in my life. If you love to drive you will love this car. There are diff problems and that was someting I took into consideration (I was on this forum for about 7 months before I purchased my V) and for the most part a large majority of people here don't have major problems with there diff. There are some surveys around here somewhere that I would recommend checking out that definitely put things into perspective (Some one drop the link please!!) Anyway this car as has been said before has faults which are greatly outweighed by it's positive factors. Classy, Sporty, and Fast.........Enough Said!!!!:thumbsup:

Holmes815
08-15-06, 11:59 AM
P.S. I don't work for GM !!!

kilrbz
08-15-06, 01:59 PM
OK. I did a search on the forum and found the surveys. Overall seems pretty positive, though there are a few nightmares out there. I did a Carfax on the one I was looking at. Good thing I didn't waste a trip. It was bought back by the manufacturer, then sold at auction to the current dealer.

So now the next question: What kind of warranty can I expect if I buy one with say, 15,000 miles on it? And why aren't any of them "Cadillac Certified"? That's what initially raised a red flag.

Thanks again.

Koooop
08-15-06, 02:26 PM
If you want a Cadillac Certified car I think you'd have to buy a used one at a Cadillac agency. Otherwise these cars have a great 4/50,000 warranty which can be extended by GM (my guess is around $2,000) I believe that would make the warranty the same as a Cadillac Certified car.

Get one, these cars are a bargain used and a loads of fun to drive.

I don't plan on extending my warranty, I think I'll take my chances since the car seems pretty reliable.

P-Funk
08-15-06, 02:31 PM
I love my '06 V. I'd say that you should definitely get one.

BigFred
08-15-06, 02:36 PM
I've only seen a couple certified, but they are out there. I think there was one on ebay from Sewell that was certified recently. Leasing may not be your thing, but there are great deals on leasing a new 06. $2,600 from GMAC for a lease plus getting the dealer to come down a few thousand to clear out the 06's. Then you would get the 4 year warranty.

rand49er
08-15-06, 03:06 PM
Had a dif replaced here at about 26k, but I'll bet it could easily have gone to 100-150k ... it (the replacement) was offered, and I took advantage of the offer. :bouncy:

Hey, kilrbz, have you driven one? ... a V, that is?

kilrbz
08-15-06, 04:37 PM
This is good input everyone, thanks. I have not found any certified Vs within 200 miles of my location. If I could find one, I'd grab it. My local dealer has 2 '04s, but they're asking about $4-5k more than dealers closer to the city.

rand49er, no, I have not driven a V yet. I'm afraid if I do, I might lost my ability to think about this decision rationally. Therefore, I want to be as educated as possible going in.

I've had really bad luck with my '03 Maxima (engine and electical issues) and my last American car ('97 Mustang Cobra) had 8 separate items fixed under warranty, from power windows, to bushings, to a tranny rebuild within the first 28k miles. So I'm no stranger to problems, I just don't want to lay out over $30k and end up with big repair bills on top of that.

V-Sting
08-15-06, 07:12 PM
My 2005 is for sale, and very clean, all stock, 18k, Platinum w sunroof, LoJack.
ZERO issues with the car, and dealer replaced the radiator when the TSB came out.
No rear end noise at all.
Im in WA state though, so a road trip might be in the cards.
I need a truck now and am not interested in collecting cars, insurance payments,...etc.

ross@farrfamily.net.

diamondj
08-15-06, 09:47 PM
I looked around for a year and found a 04 with 12,000 miles, certified to 100k or 6 years from in service date, paid 33,500. How can you go wrong? Is the drivetrain a bit noisy? yes, but not more than any stick car I have owned in the past. Any fast car will break parts, that is a fact. My rear end is fine, although I only have 16,000 miles on it. Is this car a blast to drive? totally!

kilrbz
08-16-06, 10:20 AM
OK, so I'm going to go look at a couple Vs tonight. I've got the wife on board with the purchase, the only caveat being that she thinks it should be black.

Also checked AutoTrader.com and found a total of 16 certified Vs available in the entire U.S. The closest to me was around 700 miles away. I'm going to go to a Cadillac dealer for the purchase, so I'm going to push them to certify the car. We'll see what happens.

kilrbz
08-16-06, 10:22 AM
V-Sting - sorry man, WA is too far away. And the wife insists on black. Thanks for the offer though.

Silver Dollar
08-16-06, 11:03 AM
Is she going to wash it?

I've had two black cars. Never again.

Actually I said never again after the first one. They look great in the show room. Best looking color by far.

But maintaining them that way.....DAMN!

04CTSVforMe
08-16-06, 11:58 AM
Tip on selling the wife...on the idea of buying a V, that is...

we sat in a black V w/ black interior and she (& our friends) did not care at all for it. The Black exterior with the Tan interior pretty much sold them all. It makes it look more open, light, and airy. The tan suede looks and feels VERY nice & soft too. I understand it is also the fastest color combination...:highfive:

JMHO

Kadonny
08-16-06, 01:37 PM
Tip on selling the wife...on the idea of buying a V, that is...

we sat in a black V w/ black interior and she (& our friends) did not care at all for it. The Black exterior with the Tan interior pretty much sold them all. It makes it look more open, light, and airy. The tan suede looks and feels VERY nice & soft too. I understand it is also the fastest color combination...:highfive:

JMHO

I love black. The last 4 vehicles I had were black before I opted for the SG.

The suede is very soft and comfy (psssssst, it's not real suede, but who cares) and you will enjoy the car. I never cared much for the light color interiors because of dirt my kids have a knack for collecting.

And you are wrong, that is not the fastest color combo, sorry to break the news to ya.

P-Funk
08-16-06, 02:39 PM
You can't beat black exterior with black interior. Nothing looks better (as long as it is clean).