: S060 and P039

jss
08-14-06, 06:05 PM
Gentlemen,

My beloved 94 Seville (177k miles) is throwing both of these codes. I was wondering if anyone else has had these and what they might have done to fix them.

The S060 is "Left Front Position Sensor Fault" (it comes and goes). Does this simply mean that sensor is bad? Can anyone help me identify that sensor? I've looked up the sensor on http://www.cadillac-parts-dealer.com/parts.htm, and it will cost me either a testicle or my firstborn (I'm leaning heavily toward my firstborn). So I don't want to buy it unless it really is bad.

The P039 is "Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem" and is scaring the living daylights out of me; (the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on when this code is thrown). Someone please tell me that this one is no big deal.

Thanks, Jeff

eldorado1
08-15-06, 11:44 AM
P039 means your torque converter lockup clutch is slipping or not engaging at all. Could be anything from a solenoid, to an o-ring, or a faulty brake switch... to something bad like the clutch itself.

Most likely it's the solenoid. If that's the case you don't need to worry about it. You'll get a couple mpg worse mileage, but no damage because of it.

1stL
08-16-06, 12:53 AM
Click on the word search and a drop down box will appear. Type in PO39 and then click go and you will find several threads about this code. I'm sure this will work for the other code as well. My 94 Eldorado with 141K showing threw this code twice since I've owned it. The first time it happened I was cruising in fourth, started up a steep hill and when it downshifted and/or disengaged the torque converter the check engine light came on. I checked for codes and found PO39. I read up on it here and didnít feel it was something to be overly concerned with. It did it one more time before I learned what was causing itóthe engine was bogging down and wanting the transmission to down shift. Instead of depressing the accelerator more or manually shifting it into 3, I allowed the system to do it by itself and the sensors didnít like what they saw and threw a code. It also leaves the torque converter disengaged until you shut the car off and restart itóat this point the check engine light should be off, but you will have code PO39 stored in history. Driving with the torque converter disengaged also reduces fuel mileage. GM designed a new PROM that is programmed to take care of this; Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com) sells them for $57 plus shipping. Click on electrical then scroll down to engine control module PROM. At this mileage I doubt Iíll put one in. Iím aware of what triggers this condition and over think the computer by manually downshifting to 3 when the conditions call for more power i.e. starting up a grade at 40-45 mph. Our Mark 8ís PCM wasnít very quick to allow down shifts either. Our Q45 would shift into high gear as quickly as possible, but would downshift very efficiently. When I learned to manually shift the Q my wife didnít like for me to drive it by myself any more as I tend to drive faster when alone. When I would shift it manually it was a totally different car J! A big goal of automakers is fuel mileage and avoidance of the gas-guzzler taxóget it in high gear and keep it there as long as possible.

jss
08-31-06, 11:31 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for the info. I searched for the P039 and got a lot of information. For giggles and grins I tried to induce the code as described in one of the threads; accelerating up a long incline lightly enough as not to drop out of overdrive. And bingo, the code is thrown every time! I'll order the EEPROM and be done with it.

I also searched the site for S060 and didn't find any useful information. Maybe I'll just fork out the dough for the sensor and replace it??? Haven't decided yet.

This last week she started throwing another code when the engine is started; "P019 Shorted Fuel Pump Circuit"

I don't know what that means and can't find any useful information on it on this site or from a Google search. In November '05, I replaced the fuel pump; she was getting noisy and I decided to replace her before she left me stranded.

Any ideas as to what P019 means?

jss
10-01-06, 08:44 AM
Gentlemen,

I finally got around to ordering and replacing the EEPROM on the PCM as prescribed for the P039 (Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem). Lo and behold I can no longer get her to throw that code no matter how hard I try.

After replacing the EEPROM there is an oddity that I can't explain. The P019 (Shorted Fuel Pump Circuit) is also gone. I suspect that is more likely because I disconnected the battery than anything else. We'll see if it comes back.