: DENSO or AC Delco Spark Plugs for a Northstar?

ibarria
08-14-06, 12:19 PM
I have a 2000 Deville and I am changing the plugs, I was surprised to find the Denso brand as factory installed plugs. My car has 90K miles and I am doing a Major tune-up. Filters oils plugs, even the Thermostat, any suggestions?
I live in Austin Texas and autozone and partsamerica have Denso and Ac Delco brand, but I dont knot which one to get, also, would you recommed ac delco for the thermostate and the filters?
anysuggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gerardo.

JimHare
08-14-06, 12:51 PM
Everything I've seen here (and elsewhere) seems confirming the thought BUY ONLY GENUINE AC DELCO parts for the Caddy - no other brands are tested and certified to the rigorous standards.

ibarria
08-14-06, 12:58 PM
But denso were installed from factory, should I buy the same (Denso) or change to AcDelco

and thanks fro the reply.

eldorado1
08-14-06, 01:15 PM
It really doesn't matter. Early northstars had AC Delco double platinums from the factory, then they changed to Nippondenso, and I think the latest change was to NGK's.

Buy whatever you want, as long as it's one of the above brands, you'll be fine.

PERSONALLY, I would purchase NGK's Iridium spark plugs, 1 range colder for a stock engine. If you plan on doing any racing or performance mods, 2 ranges colder. You will need to keep up on the WOT's, because you'll have a higher chance of fouling the plugs if you don't.

ibarria
08-15-06, 09:32 AM
I just finished Installing the new spark plugs, It is weird, that the Denso plugs are just the same as the Acdelco, same blue stripe and both of them have the letters made in japan and xxxxx about 5 or x's, I think they are the same, So I just installed them yesterday at 11:00 PM I was Done, I changed the thermostat, cabin air filter, PCV and I will put a new Fuel filter today, by the way, the inside of the cap of the thermostate was very rusted, my brother used the car about 6 months without the Dexcool coolant, he just used water and it looks pretty bad from the inside, so I will run a Preston Cleaner today and tomorrow I will pour 2 gallons of ac delco dexcool coolant, by the way.. it costs 21 dollars a gallon :S kinda expensive..

Ger

'00 Cadillac Deville-sedan.

Blown Z
08-15-06, 10:15 AM
Would the NGK Iridiums 1 range colder be fine for a stock 2001 Northstar?

JimD
08-15-06, 11:24 AM
.... the inside of the cap of the thermostate was very rusted, my brother used the car about 6 months without the Dexcool coolant, he just used water and it looks pretty bad from the inside, so I will run a Preston Cleaner today and tomorrow I will pour 2 gallons of ac delco dexcool coolant, by the way.. it costs 21 dollars a gallon :S kinda expensive..

Ger

Couple of things don't add up here. Ninety percent of your cooling system is aluminum and another 5% is rubber. Where is the 'rust' coming from? Or is it really something else?

Who uses straight water? There is a chance the engine has reached temperatures that would vaporize straight water even under 15 pounds pressure.

Dex-Cool is produced by ChevronTexaco's Havoline brand and is $8.00 per gallon at Wal-Mart. Add a gallon of $0.97 distilled water and you have 2 gallons of 50/50 mixture anti-freeze for less than $10.00.

Add a couple of tubes of Bars Leaks Golden Seal powdered material just as insurance against nuisance leaks.

And remove that Prestone cleaner as soon as you can.

eldorado1
08-15-06, 11:34 AM
he just used water and it looks pretty bad from the inside

Pray for no damage... that's all I can say. Hopefully you caught it soon enough.

Would the NGK Iridiums 1 range colder be fine for a stock 2001 Northstar?

They'll be fine if you actually drive it. If you putt-putt around town, never open it up, and/or never let it reach operating temp because of short drives.... I would stick with a stock heat range.

You won't gain any power from spark plugs, despite what the Bosh +4 people say. However, a thin electrode (like those found on the iridiums) make it easier for a spark to jump the gap. That means less misfires and smoother running.

For those of you with emissions requirements, it will lower emissions as well.

ibarria
08-16-06, 08:27 AM
It is actually not rust.. it is most like, humm at first it is sticky orange colored, and when it dries turns white, kinda hard to explain, I will buy the preston dexcool from walmart ($9), and one more question, do I have to add that couple of tubes of Bars Leaks Golden Seal powdered material in a 2000?

Thank you.

Gerardo.

JimD
08-16-06, 08:58 AM
You don't have to add anything. The Bars Leaks is cheap insurance; in fact what you thought was rust "could be" the same material as Bars Leaks that was added with the factory fill and it just dropped out of solution.

GM stopped putting the material in the factory fill at some point because drivers were seeing what you saw and thought there was a problem. But I don't remember the exact year.

STS-in-Nottingham
08-16-06, 11:00 AM
The orange coloured liquid is in fact Dexcool.
As JimD stated, all you need to do is add the Bars Leak (coolant suppliment).

Then again,it may be a good idea to do a complete coolant change, if your brother was having to top up with water,this means the Dexcool has become over diluted and is no longer 50/50.

Do a search on the subject, there's tons of info on this site.

Ranger
08-16-06, 09:34 PM
I just finished Installing the new spark plugs, It is weird, that the Denso plugs are just the same as the Acdelco, same blue stripe and both of them have the letters made in japan and xxxxx about 5 or x's, I think they are the same, So I just installed them yesterday at 11:00 PM I was Done, I changed the thermostat, cabin air filter, PCV and I will put a new Fuel filter today, by the way, the inside of the cap of the thermostate was very rusted, my brother used the car about 6 months without the Dexcool coolant, he just used water and it looks pretty bad from the inside, so I will run a Preston Cleaner today and tomorrow I will pour 2 gallons of ac delco dexcool coolant, by the way.. it costs 21 dollars a gallon :S kinda expensive..

Ger

Step 1. Place hands firmly around brothers neck.
Step 2. Shake violently.
Step 3. Drain and replace with 50/50 Dex/distilled water.

ibarria
08-17-06, 07:59 AM
hahaah #1 I already did
#2 Done.

Today, finally I will puor a gallon of dexcool, since I am just getting a nut alike piece of plastic from under the radiator to get some of the water out, I already flushed and filled with clean drinkable water the radiator 3 times, so now I know that there will be fresh water in the block and heater core, today i will go to the autoparts looking for the bars leak, and puor 1 of the 2 gallons of Prestone dexcool that I bought for this vehicle.
Thank you very much for all your replys.

Gerardo.

JimD
08-17-06, 08:20 AM
So.... why was it necessay for your brother (the one wearing the neck brace) to add water to the coolant reservoir?

Where was the coolant leaking or being lost?

ibarria
08-17-06, 11:31 PM
Yeap. there was a leak right in the place where the thermostate is, it was not that big, but he needed to add almost a gallon every 3 days to keep up with the leak, so after 2 - 3 months, there was only water in the system.
By the way, I was so scared today, I flushed the system for the last time before adding the coolant, and then I poured the coolant, only 1 gallon was enoguh to bring it to the level, but after driving it for 5 minutes with the weather at 107 (in Austin TX) there was a messege in the dash (ENGINE HOT, AC OFF) It scared the crap out of me, I parked it and let it idle for about 3 minutes until it was at the middle (The gauge) then when it cooled I had to add another gallon, this one was 50-50 water dexcool. so now there is about 70%dexcool and 30% destilled water.
just wanted to share my day.

greetings.

Gerardo.

JimD
08-18-06, 04:47 AM
Keep an eye on the level in the reservoir. You want about two inches of air space when the engine is cold.

You might find that your "heavy" mixture of antifreeze does not conduct heat as well as the desired 50/50 mix. Easy enough to adjust by draining and refilling a few times with a 50/50 mix.

Ranger
08-18-06, 10:08 AM
At this point I think I would invest in a refractometer to get the mixture correct.

ibarria
08-18-06, 04:57 PM
I just bought the bars leaks, $1.99 at pep-boys, but, is it safe to pour this in a 2000 deville?
it says Radiator stop leak and conditioner .

thanks.

JimD
08-18-06, 06:21 PM
Do not put any liquid Bar's Leaks products in there.

Use the Bar's Leaks Golden Seal radiator stop leak powder (product G12BP on the bottom left hand corner of the package) which is usually available at Wal-Mart or the same material in a package of big old tablets.

And put the powder or tablet in a hose, NOT the reservoir.

Ranger
08-18-06, 06:36 PM
The tabs product code is HDC.

ibarria
08-18-06, 09:37 PM
I'll post pictures .

ibarria
08-18-06, 09:38 PM
aww shoot, too big :S let me try.. sorry folks.

ibarria
08-18-06, 09:41 PM
Ill post pictures.

ibarria
08-19-06, 12:06 AM
Is this the one?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k215/ibarriaibarria/Picture004.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k215/ibarriaibarria/Picture001.jpg

And one last question, in my dashboard, the Check cooland keeps coming up, actually, it never dissapeared.. what can it be? the coolant sensor maybe?
cause it is actually a little higher than the level..

greetings...

Ger.

JimD
08-19-06, 06:19 AM
Yes. Put the contents of two of those tubes in one of the hoses.

If the coolant level is within two inches of the top of the reservoir, the level sensor in the reservoir has failed OR the chassis connector on the bottom is not seated properly.

STS 310
08-22-06, 10:09 PM
If you happen to use the GM supplement tablets, DO NOT CRUSH, but add whole to the LOWER radiator hose.

I crushed the tabs added to the top hose (it was easier and I was lazy).

Fouled the T-stat all to hell and the rest settled in the left side radiator tank. Over heated in 15 minutes. My radiator guy laughed at my not heeding to the information on my forums board and added, "thats what you get for being lazy and not letting me do it! He's a friend so I had to take the chastising and insult).

ibarria
08-23-06, 12:06 AM
Are the GM supplement tablets better than the bars leak's? and how much do they cost?

STS 310
08-23-06, 12:38 AM
I dont know if they are better, its just what I use as many others do. The tablets are a vegetable based conditioner.

I picked some up at the Chevy stealer for about $7.00. I believe that the Bars is slightly lower by a few bucks.

Ranger
08-23-06, 11:01 AM
Are the GM supplement tablets better than the bars leak's? and how much do they cost?
Barsleaks makes the tabs for GM. They are one in the same. Cost is only a few bucks. They are made of crushed ginger root.

GreenMachine
08-26-06, 11:53 PM
picture of my coolant/oil change day products:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/BigEd2006/98deville/coolant-oil-change004.jpg
(FRAM filter promply was returned after reading bad stories about them)

I used quickfill since I basically blew all the contents of dexcool out of my system and simple refilled, all in all I ended up replaceing nearly all of it.

on the plugs I have a question, does AC Delco outsource and then rebadge the plugs? Or make the plugs themselves? I'm curious because I'm not really a fan of putting in parts made elsewhere when I can get plugs that are made in the US.

useful links:
Counterfeit Auto Parts | ACDelco (http://www.acdelco.com/parts/counterfeit/index.htm)
ACDelco’s Role Combating Counterfeit Auto Parts | ACDelco (http://www.acdelco.com/parts/counterfeit/acdelco-role.htm)

ibarria
08-27-06, 09:47 AM
Yeah, that is true machine, it is always better to buy domestic, homemade huh, but both the Acdelco and the Denso looked just the same, like twins, and both said MADE IN JAPAN :P
BTW how miles have u put in your caddy? I noticed you are using high milage oil...

greetings..

Gerardo.

GreenMachine
08-27-06, 01:30 PM
Just under 92,000 I believe.

Was haveing some comsumption issues towards the end of the last oil change so I decided to give it a try, and it didn't use much except for some on my trip to kentucky. (nothing I would consider out of the ordinary for the Northstar, especially since I put my foot down a few times)

Then I had some misfire and knocking problems and my number 6 cylinder was fouling plugs (VERY moist with oil), one of the rear had a nasty carbon track, replaced my plugs with the AC Delco's 2 days ago, which didn't say where they were made, but the package showed somewhere in Michigan if I recall. That period of time it ate some oil but seems to be back on track now and no more fouling or consumption.

This oils seems to have really cleaned the engine out, might even drop down the standard oil next time and every couple changes run it for the conditioners, at the very least the additive pack is stronger so it should last longer :)

I noticed much improvement in power above the 2000RPM mark with the switch to Castrol High Mileage oil from Kendall blend, I might try the Kendall High Mileage blend if its cheaper next time around which is appraoching, the oil is getting dark/darker and I think I'm around 30-40 percent left in the oil life indicator.

Pictures of the old plugs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/BigEd2006/98deville/SparkPlugs005s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/BigEd2006/98deville/SparkPlugs001s.jpg

Oh and ranger if you havne't figured it out by now, yes I am on the other forum EGreen and here GreenMachine :)

Ranger
08-27-06, 04:17 PM
Actually I hadn't. These threads all seem to blend together after a while.

BTW, keep an eye on that carbon tracked plug. I have heard it said that if you don't change the wire as well, it will track again because the tracking is in the plug wire cap as well.

GreenMachine
08-27-06, 06:29 PM
^yeah I heard that too, I blew it out with some compressed air to hopefully clean it out some.