: IS this the right stuff NIKON?

04CTSVFLA
08-13-06, 08:17 PM
http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/ee/10/88_1_b.JPG

nikon
08-13-06, 09:26 PM
thats it....spray very thin, dont get cocky like me and fudge everything up.

nyyankeehater
08-13-06, 10:46 PM
thats it....spray very thin, dont get cocky like me and fudge everything up.

Thin is the key, but damn the stuff looks awesome! I just finished my tails and am working on my center tail, ran out... When I get more I will probably touch up some of the side corners/edges on the tails. I too got a little cocky and had the stuff run on me (I should have listened to Robert!). I wound up doing a wet sand (1000 grit) and then a polishing compound with 2 coats.

The results are amazing and worth the effort. I got mine from Speedunleashed.com for $8.95, but they just rose the price to $11.95.

04CTSVFLA
08-13-06, 10:49 PM
how do i avoid this? "had the stuff run on me"

nyyankeehater
08-13-06, 11:11 PM
how do i avoid this? "had the stuff run on me"

Several thin coats. If you try to apply it heavy it will run on the sides. You will also want an extra layer on the sides to cover the corners and edges a little better. Really think about the wet sand/polishing compound as an option, when I used the polishing compound I used the big mothers polishing ball and it worked really well. If I can pull this off, anyone can.

Chef
08-13-06, 11:27 PM
Pics?

nyyankeehater
08-13-06, 11:30 PM
Pics?

As soon as I finish the center.... oh ya... and WW's sides... be about a week.

nikon
08-13-06, 11:48 PM
As soon as I finish the center.... oh ya... and WW's sides... be about a week.

oh you gotta help me out on the center, I havent taken it off yet...but, how are you getting around the crest?? does it come off? or are you masking around it, I too have only done my tails then ran out and am awaiting more to do the center...lemme know really been buggin me.

nyyankeehater
08-14-06, 07:11 AM
oh you gotta help me out on the center, I havent taken it off yet...but, how are you getting around the crest?? does it come off? or are you masking around it, I too have only done my tails then ran out and am awaiting more to do the center...lemme know really been buggin me.

I was afraid I would f up my lights so I bought spares off ebay for pretty cheap ($48 total for the tails, $38 for the center). They were a mess and I had to do a bit of work to clean them up the the wet sand and polish mentioned above.

I have not pulled the bezel apart yet. From what I have read, this is not too complicated. The crest comes off the light assembly easily. I used a heat gun (hair dryer would work also) to heat it and then I used a thin utility knife to gently pry up. You need to keep the tape on the emblem if you can or you will need to replace it.

Now, we wait.

dqw1
08-14-06, 09:29 AM
Anyone going for a total blackout effect? I think I'll leave the headlights alone. I might get stopped. I'll do everything else except for the brake light. Should have it done the 1st week on September.

rand49er
08-14-06, 10:10 AM
Lazy ques: I haven't looked hard at the car yet, but can this be applied on the inside? ... can the headlight/tails be disassembled? I have clear bra material protecting the headlights and don't want to spray on top of it. :duh:

nikon
08-14-06, 11:17 AM
I was afraid I would f up my lights so I bought spares off ebay for pretty cheap ($48 total for the tails, $38 for the center). They were a mess and I had to do a bit of work to clean them up the the wet sand and polish mentioned above.

I have not pulled the bezel apart yet. From what I have read, this is not too complicated. The crest comes off the light assembly easily. I used a heat gun (hair dryer would work also) to heat it and then I used a thin utility knife to gently pry up. You need to keep the tape on the emblem if you can or you will need to replace it.

Now, we wait.

man, I was afraid it'd be glued on, ok Ill try and salvage the tape...thx for the heads up, at least I know what Im getting into now.

nyyankeehater
08-14-06, 10:05 PM
man, I was afraid it'd be glued on, ok Ill try and salvage the tape...thx for the heads up, at least I know what Im getting into now.

Just take your time, be paitent... good luck!

nikon
08-14-06, 10:16 PM
Just take your time, be paitent... good luck!

oh, I know I can do it, was just hoping it'd be easy...oh well, a new emblem cant be that expensive, if it is...Ill get a cts loaner, and well you know :lildevil: