: Water Pump replacement on a 96 deville

Fred Wyman
08-13-06, 05:23 PM
I need to replace the water pump on a 96 deville, and am considering doing it myself. However, I am also wondering what a reasonable price should be if I had a shop do it. I have seen water pumps for sale for about $50 on ebay and am wondering if they are any good.
If I decide to do it what is the best manual to purchase. I have looked at the alldata site, but am wondering if there is anything better?
Thanks in advance.

caddydaddy
08-13-06, 05:46 PM
My best advice is to buy a NEW waterpump! I had a bad experience with a rebuilt that cost me $700 later!
Alldata should be good for doing a replacement. It's really not too hard. I think most people pay near $300 at a dealer to have it done.

denscor
08-13-06, 08:51 PM
RockAuto has A/C Delco new pumps for 35.89 Check them out!!!

ACDELCO Part # 252707
PUMP KIT,WAT VIN Y; OE# 7490007 {#88926221}More Info (http://198.208.187.182/internet/PartImage.jsp?mfgname=ACDELCO&prodlinecd=25&acpartnbr=252-707)$35.89$0.00$35.89

Ranger
08-13-06, 09:43 PM
The best and only manual to have is the FSM (Factory Service Manual) by Helm Inc. Check Ebay. If none available then go to http://www.helminc.com. Pricey but worth it. Also be advised that you'll need a special pump socket. Cheap Stamped steel ones can be had from Lysle for $15 - $20. I've heard some people say they slip, others have had good luck with them. Better machined one from Snap-On or Kentmore will run about $80. Here is a pic of one I made so you know what you are looking for.
Grandolfo (http://www.geocities.com/grandolfo/)
Also be advised that it is a cam lock, not screwed in. 1/8 - 1/4 turn clockwise to loosen it and counter clockwise to install. Note the position of the lugs when you remove it. It only fits in one way.

unruley247
08-14-06, 10:48 PM
I replace my waterpump earlier this year with a autozone pump and rented tool. Everything been good sofar

white97deville
08-15-06, 09:52 PM
I replace my waterpump earlier this year with a autozone pump and rented tool. Everything been good sofar

This made me chuckle...when I went to AZ to buy one of the wp sockets the guy behind the counter told me there was no such thing and that he had just changed the water pump in his Deville and it was a total &%#^@. I just listened to his story and got on the auction site and bought one.

denscor
08-16-06, 07:24 AM
autozone rents the tool its something new most employees have no clue its there! lol lol

white97deville
08-16-06, 08:15 PM
autozone rents the tool its something new most employees have no clue its there! lol lol

At the time that I needed it I went to 2 AZ's, NAPA's regional warehouse store, and an O'Reilley's. No one I talked to anywhere had a clue about the tool. I was starting to think this might be a fictional tool myself. LOL. From reading on here I knew better and started checking online.

Got the waterpump from Napa for $56 and got a SnapOn wp tool on Ebay for $35.

denscor
08-16-06, 08:50 PM
I seen it on the pad and ask they still acted like I was crazy and it was the manager!! So I gave him the part number, he was surprised to find out they had it! Told me it just came out! I laughed!

anti-northstar
08-16-06, 10:01 PM
Changing a water pump on a Northstar is not too difficult. The main thing is that you do need the special tool that costs about $20-$30 at an auto parts. A breakover bar with a 1/2 inch drive, along with this tool is what I suggest. A shop manual is not a bad thing to have with this procedure. Follow carefully what this manual says. It should be one of the easiest water pumps you have ever changed.

zzscott
08-18-06, 01:43 AM
Just be *very* careful of the brittle camshaft if you have to pull off the drive pulley - many $$$ and a month of work taught me the hard way to not "persuade" the pulley with a hammer...