: Sunroof With A Mind Of Its Own

Holmes815
08-13-06, 11:30 AM
I don't mean to be redundant (I did search threads and couldn't find anything) but my sunroof appears to be opening by itself. Yesterday at when I came back from running an errand I noticed it was slightly open but the switch was in the closed position. Later last night as I go to open the drover window the sunroof opens byb itself and the closes. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!!! Has anyone else had this issue or something similar???? I'm guessing a bad sunroof switch; any information would be much appreciated, thanks

Jamie

kanned
08-13-06, 03:10 PM
My sunroof also has a mind of it's own. Usualy when its closing. It'll stop halfway and reopen, or if I'm closing the windows all the way it'll also stop and re-open. It's a PITA...

Holmes815
08-13-06, 04:48 PM
I was talking to a friend with a 3 series and he said this happens to his sunroof when driving with it open for a while; apparently the auto sense can get F-d if debris gets caught in the track. I guess we'll have to wait and see because it has been working fine since I cleaned the car today.

thebigjimsho
08-13-06, 05:28 PM
Nope, it's a TSB. I've had my switch replaced under warranty, as have many others here. In fact, switch #2 acted funny last week.:mad:

rand49er
08-13-06, 07:35 PM
I was talking to a friend with a 3 series and he said this happens to his sunroof when driving with it open for a while; apparently the auto sense can get F-d if debris gets caught in the track. I guess we'll have to wait and see because it has been working fine since I cleaned the car today.No problems here, but I'll bet this would be no fun in January! :chill:

kali_cts03
08-23-06, 04:16 AM
I also had problems with the sunroof on my 03 CTS, it took the dealership 5 tries to get it to fix correctly..... at the end they pretty much had to replace everything.... since then seems to be working fine.... :eek:

CancerJCC
09-28-11, 06:34 PM
Nope, it's a TSB. I've had my switch replaced under warranty, as have many others here. In fact, switch #2 acted funny last week.:mad:

:bump:

In some digging I'm finding little more than the VIN thread where everybody had theirs replaced under warranty. So for those of us "Second owners" has anyone successfully cleaned the contacts within their switch? Is it the actual switch going bad or more crazy grounding offsets. (I swear mine acts craziest when I shift into reverse). Any other information out there for the non dealer using V owner? :)

OneFast V
09-29-11, 12:16 AM
:bump:

In some digging I'm finding little more than the VIN thread where everybody had theirs replaced under warranty. So for those of us "Second owners" has anyone successfully cleaned the contacts within their switch? Is it the actual switch going bad or more crazy grounding offsets. (I swear mine acts craziest when I shift into reverse). Any other information out there for the non dealer using V owner? :)

Try resetting it (in FAQ), may or may not help, but a suggestion. I had the same problem, just recently placed my alternator and cleaned all the contacts on the connector and no more crazy sunroof as of yet

odla
09-29-11, 08:00 AM
yup its the switch. I had mine replaced too.

ctsv154
09-29-11, 11:29 AM
If you just take it apart and clean it, it will work just fine again.

CancerJCC
09-29-11, 05:37 PM
Try resetting it (in FAQ), may or may not help, but a suggestion. I had the same problem, just recently placed my alternator and cleaned all the contacts on the connector and no more crazy sunroof as of yet

yup its the switch. I had mine replaced too.

If you just take it apart and clean it, it will work just fine again.

Reset and clean. Thanks for the responses guys!

WesH8398
10-01-11, 04:31 PM
Funny, I didn't think others would have experienced the same thing as me, but apparently its somewhat common. My sunroof doesn't open on it's own, but it does go screwy when it's closing and I'm messing with the windows at the same time.
What switch are you guys referring to? The knob that we turn to operate the sunroof? Or a relay or something elsewhere?

thebigjimsho
10-01-11, 07:25 PM
Sunroof knob.

CancerJCC
10-03-11, 08:43 PM
Funny, I didn't think others would have experienced the same thing as me, but apparently its somewhat common. My sunroof doesn't open on it's own, but it does go screwy when it's closing and I'm messing with the windows at the same time.
What switch are you guys referring to? The knob that we turn to operate the sunroof? Or a relay or something elsewhere?

Thats when mine does it too. Almost like its the dang grounding offsets again! (Load from windows etc causes the craziness).