: Yay! First ticket in the V!

ajedwardsjr
08-12-06, 01:40 PM
I was wondering when this would come. I've certainly deserved it several dozen times. Well, really, almost every day I'm in the thing I probably deserve a ticket at some point. I was really winding it out in third gear, somewhere around 78, 79, 80 mph or so, when I crested a hill and there he was. Bingo. Nailed. Nice guy, though. Only hit me with a 70 in a 50. I think I was lucky that it was Fairfax County Police, and not the Virginina State Police. Those guys always looks like they're not sure whether they're going to shoot you, mace you, or club you, but whatever it is, you won't like it. Fairfax County Police definitely want you to have a nice day. Almost apologetic to do this to me. (Ox Road, by the way, north of Silverbrook Road, if you want to drive by and see how nice you can get him to be to you. That's a pretty desolate stretch of road, there, surprised to find him. Usually they're on Fairfax County Parkway.)

Flyboy
08-12-06, 08:47 PM
Don't pay it.......go to court....no matter how nice he was.

GT04CTS-V
08-12-06, 09:50 PM
Got nailed by Virginia's finest on the Dulles toll road. It was 4:30 in the afternoon and I was on my bike. He claimed I was doing 89 in a 55. Said he paced me, bull$hit, he was 1500 feet behind me in traffic.

No choice, had to go to court, $800 for lawyer, $700 fines, thought I was going to go to jail + lose my license. Judge told me I was lucky to have a good lawyer, ended up getting probation for 1 year. Now I never exceed the speed limit in Virginia - the fricken police state :)

GT

v-ape
08-12-06, 10:44 PM
Yea, I was comin back from Front Royal area, hit 100 playing with an hooked up 93 Mustang, as I got to mile marker 54 (Manassas?) I saw 4 troopers in a 1 mile stretch of road.... I was in traffic so I was down to 66/55, they didnt mess with me. Helps that I always get in the right lane whenever possible, they were on the left and couldnt paint me that well.

They were out in VA today... thats for sure.

ajedwardsjr
08-13-06, 07:24 AM
Hey Flyboy - just curious - why do you suggest that I take this to court? I'm not really that experienced with this stuff. I really thought I would just pay the stupid thing ($100) and get it over with. I don't have any points on my license right now. I think that if I already had some points, and was bumping up against a suspension or worse, I would fight it. But, like I said, my license is clean, now.

CVP33
08-13-06, 07:45 AM
I don't believe you can just pay it. You were 20 mph over the speed limit, isn't that considered wreckless? I believe a mandatory court appearance summons should've been issued. I know I've had two back in 2004 when I first got my V. I suggest going to court as well, not necessarily to "fight", but to explain your circumstances. Both my "wreckless" tickets were reduced to "failure to observe highway sign". I didn't fight, I just calmly stated facts. The best part is that if by some miracle I can stay ticket free until November, I will actually be considered a "safe driver" and qualify for a discount of 20% on my car insurance. That will be a first for me. :highfive:

crowan
08-13-06, 09:13 AM
Yes, 20 mph over the limit is reckless driving requiring a court appearance unless there is some different provision in Fairfax County that I'm not aware of. Ususally, if an officer is really being nice, he writes the ticket for 19 mph over the limit.

Definitely got to court. It won't require an attorney although it might help if cost is not an object. First, the officer may not show up. If he does show up, talk to him before your case is called and let him know that you are there to seek waiver of the points and that you are not challenging the issuance of the ticket.

Then, when your case is called, tell the judge how you were on an open road and simply lost track of your speed and you apologize to the court for that, but that you have a clean driving record (assuming that you do) and the ticket did not involve an accident or any irresponsible or aggressive driving other than the speed itself. Then, ask that you be allowed to pay a fine but have the points waived in order to maintain you clean record.

The officer may be asked for his opinion, and if he is not pissed at you for some reason, he probably will not object. It works 90% of the time. If you hire a lawyer who specializes in traffic matters (a former Asst. Commonwealth's Atty), he will know all players and all the right buzzwords to get you the best deal and it shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred bucks to do a simple plea deal. If you are not comfortable on your feet in an intimidating environment, get the lawyer.

You were definitely lucky that it was not the Virginia State Police. They wrote up a friend of mine who was the Commander of the MPD Homicide Squad. He was responding, in his cruiser, to a triple murder in Washington, when the trooper stopped him. A judge threw the case out, but it required a trip to court by the detective. They are very difficult to deal with.

Good luck.

1fstkde
08-13-06, 11:16 AM
Don't pay it.......go to court....no matter how nice he was. i agree..got a speeding ticket about 5 months ago heading up to mammoth lakes to go skiing..about 350 miles from my house..azzwipe said he clocked me at 106 from the opposite lane..so i thought i would fight it thru the mail..got the judgement back guilty..2 points on my record and my insurance went thru the roof to 300 a month!!:eek: ...crap!! so i had the option to contest the decision and did..so now after paying $414 for the ticket another $100 in gas..i rolled the dice and prayed all the way up. got to the court house and asked to read the writed declaration the officer wrote and he bullshitted the whole thing..i was like if he says this im screwed..anyways to cut it short..HE NEVER SHOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :eek: :) :bouncy: ...NOW I CAN GET THE TWO POINTS OFF MY DRIVING RECORD, GET A REFUND FOR $414, AND CALL MY INSURANCE AND GOT BACK TO PAYING $180 A MONTH!!! THXS GOD!!! BEST DRIVE BACK!!!

Silver Dollar
08-13-06, 12:20 PM
I've only had the car for 6 weeks and have been stopped twice by troopers.

Luckly, I was in uniform both times and that usually nets you a warning.

CVP33
08-13-06, 07:01 PM
Let me also state that I always show the respect deserved. This is not a ME vs. POLICE scenario. If I'm speeding then I'm knowingly breaking the law. If I'm pulled over then frankly I've earned a ticket. I'll still be polite and I'll ask for a warning, especially if conditions are not a concern (i.e. clear road, no rain, no racing, etc.). How 'bout we start a thread with the rules of the road. I'll go first.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge/82161-rules-road.html#post776311

ewill3rd
08-14-06, 06:14 AM
I gave up speeding a long time ago.
Before I "retired" I racked up 15 moving violations of about every flavor you can think of. I don't know how many points I "earned" but it was enough to lose my license for 30 days. I got caught driving without it.... after the suspension was over and the state took their sweet time returning my license to me.
People used to call me when they got tickets and ask how much the fine would be, and I always knew.
I did 24 hours of community service, paid thousands in fines, paid massive insurance premiums, went to driving school twice and spent part of a night in jail. Probably a lot more than that but thank the Lord I don't remember.

I usually push it about 5-10 mph on the highway but try not to speed in town.

As for any type of ticket, I never did so well on my tickets until I hired an attorney.
Good luck.

ajedwardsjr
08-14-06, 06:34 AM
Wow. A lot of good advice on here. Makes me glad I posted. I have, in the past, just paid these stupid things. No more of that. These posts have really jolted me to sanity. Thanks to all!