: Swapping OEM Radio with OEM Navigation

stsjunkie
08-10-06, 02:29 PM
Has anyone swapped out the standard STS OEM radio for the optional STS OEM Navigation system? Any help or instructions would be awesome.:stirpot:

Benjamin Simon
08-13-06, 04:59 PM
We have talked about it on the Seville forum and it is really, really hard to do. Much most cost and time effective to go after market. In fact, I don't know if he ever got it totally working.

BarryNS
08-13-06, 11:33 PM
The Navigation system that comes with the STS is no great bargain. I now own the 2005 STS but also have owned the 2005 Lexus Ls430 with Navigation and prior to that I had an after market navigation installed in last of the Eldorados from Horizon Navigation. The best, most flexible one with the most features and easiest to use (even can see all the street names all the time) was the aftermarket. There is also Garmin and others.

I wouldn't let the lack of Navigation sway you from buying an STS. By the way, in the after-market unit, I could do anything with it while I was driving......most importantly find the closest gas station or restaurants by distance, while I was still driving....and without having to pull off of a non-shoulder highway to get the information.

stsjunkie
08-21-06, 06:23 PM
:want: I talked to 3 dealerships here in town and they all told me that the OEM radio can not be replaced with the OEM Navigation system. I have an 05 STS with the standard radio, bought a Cadillac Navigation off EBAY only to find out that it can't be used. :bang2: They said it has something to do with the computers installed in the car. Makes no sense as the CTS can do the swap.

Has anyone had any experience with this? It is very heartbreaking!:violin:

mikekilpatrick
08-29-06, 12:50 PM
Here is how you do it on a 2002-2004 model:

Here you go Good Luck (http://www.advantageautomotive.com/Cadillac%20Navigation%20Radio%20Instructions.htm)

thiamgo
09-07-06, 08:38 AM
I own a 05 STS with a nav system. Now that I have experience with the system I would want it to have installed EVEN IF THEY PAID ME FOR IT. The system is a DISGRACE !!!! It's a totally un-intuitive, user unfriendly device, with incomplete maps in it too. The voice command feature also sucks. Is there anybody out there where it works?
I'm at the stage that I stick my nav equipped Taiwanese PDA with German software (a $400 unit !!!) on the windshield to get directions.
Before the STS I owned a 2000 DTS. Navigation in that car was excellent. Since both systems are made by Nippon Denso, I didn't test the STS system when I bought the car. However, in view of the tendency of the Japanese to fiddle ("refine", they say) with their products and by doing so to screw up the next generation of their original designs, I should have known better.

Jesda
09-07-06, 12:59 PM
^^^There's your answer!

Go aftermarket. :)

skides1
09-07-06, 11:18 PM
This head unit swap can be done! Having Bose may make it easier but unless data buss wiring schemes have made a giant leep- You just have to find an indep stereo shop that has a gifted installer with something to prove. I don't care what anyone says-it can happen just not in a plug and play fashion. Find a small custom car audio shop on a weekday-go in about 11AM when no customers are around- and at least a talented installer can tell you if the job is too involved or labor intensive for your budget. I know of shops that would take on the job just for pics and fun.

Rocky315
09-17-06, 12:33 PM
Which aftermarket nav would be the best one ? I like the pioneer in dash screen but it says it wont fit when I tell what car I have on circuit city.com ? I really want sirius and nav in my car. Does anyone have pics of a mounted in dash aftermarket system ?

yourgmsolutions
09-20-06, 12:01 AM
Has anyone swapped out the standard STS OEM radio for the optional STS OEM Navigation system? Any help or instructions would be awesome.:stirpot:

I own a 2006 STS and car did not come with navigation. anyway, I was able to install the factory one without any problem. there are only a few things i'm still working on right now is the voice guidance. but I'm very close to get it finished. I had to buy GM plugs and made my own harnesses, so everything just like fuctory installed. no wires cut, no mess, etc. if anyone need info, you guys can get hold of me on my web page Welcome to GM Integration Product (http://www.gmintegration.com)
I also have a module, that you can watch movies while driving on the STS Nav radio
Mark

Jesda
09-20-06, 01:12 AM
GM Geek: Thank you!

STS4TOM
11-08-06, 11:11 PM
do you also have a module, that you can watch movies while driving on the STS Nav radio

There are about 100 people on this site that want it, including me

4GTABODT
12-10-06, 09:41 AM
I own a 2006 STS and car did not come with navigation. anyway, I was able to install the factory one without any problem. there are only a few things i'm still working on right now is the voice guidance. but I'm very close to get it finished. I had to buy GM plugs and made my own harnesses, so everything just like fuctory installed. no wires cut, no mess, etc. if anyone need info, you guys can get hold of me on my web page Welcome to GM Integration Product (http://www.gmintegration.com)
I also have a module, that you can watch movies while driving on the STS Nav radio
Mark

Do you sell OEM or aftermarket NAV systems? If, so I would be interested in talking to you

:cheers:

mikekilpatrick
03-29-07, 07:36 AM
To watch DVD movies while driving: Hold the Music button on the left side for a few seconds, a diagnostic screen will come up, type in code 1971 I believe, maybe it is 1791, always mix those up. Hit return and put your DVD in the head unit. INSTANT DVD watching while your drive! Only problem is that you have to input this code EVERY time the car is turned off as it resets.

Mike

Cajonkev
03-29-07, 12:44 PM
To watch DVD movies while driving: Hold the Music button on the left side for a few seconds, a diagnostic screen will come up, type in code 1971 I believe, maybe it is 1791, always mix those up. Hit return and put your DVD in the head unit. INSTANT DVD watching while your drive! Only problem is that you have to input this code EVERY time the car is turned off as it resets.

Mike

I really really REALLY want to reply to this but just can't/won't...

01devillew/05 nav
07-12-07, 07:18 AM
I'm not an STS guy I'm a deville guy,.. I'll try to help you as best I can. Is there any production break specific to the sts? Also I know of a post "I put factory NAV in an '02 STS-minor issues-" may be helpful if not tell me the production break and I'll try to help. later

Jim_V
09-18-07, 12:01 PM
Do any of these aftermarket nav systems provide full functionality of the DIC displays and steering wheel controls? I have a 2004 SRX with XM and no nav and would like to keep everything functioning with the new system.

mikekilpatrick
09-24-07, 12:14 PM
Let me Clarify this statement... DRIVERS should NEVER watch a DVD while they are driving, heck, people cannot even talk on a hands free phone without swerving between lanes. IF you use this code, it should be for the enjoyment of the PASSENGER in the front seat or in the back seat! Don't drink and drive and also never Watch and drive!

Mike

STS2K5
09-30-07, 12:57 PM
gm_geek, can you share some tips as to how you got it done?

1MadMan
04-11-08, 03:38 PM
Has anyone really done this?

CadillacSTS42005
04-15-08, 12:16 PM
im doing it as we speak on my dads 05 STS
i think it will be very easily done
i have the schematics and all

CadillacSTS42005
04-15-08, 06:54 PM
ok
thus far i have gotten the radio and pluged it in
light up but went into theftlock as predicted
will be taking the nav in car on friday to have the dealer clear the theftlock

1MadMan
04-16-08, 01:35 PM
Does it plug directly in or are the connctors different?

CadillacSTS42005
04-18-08, 08:44 AM
no its not a direct plug
its got about 5 extra plugs