: do not ever, EVER, mess with your garage door

urbanski
08-10-06, 03:23 PM
so the wife lets our son "hang" on our garage door as it opened.

$559, 2 springs, 1 cable, and many straightened hinges later, it works again :bigroll:

do not ever EVER mess with your garage door. ACK. somebody get me another beer :thepan: :bighead:

Boombotz
08-10-06, 03:32 PM
It probably would have been cheaper to go get a new one. Well either way at least its fixed. Don't be to hard on the wife, because you know we all make mistakes.

urbanski
08-10-06, 03:38 PM
yeah...i know :)
considering i've torpedoed my car into immovable objects twice at 1K deductible per....i don't have much of a leg to stand on :p

JimHare
08-10-06, 05:03 PM
Speaking of goofy household accidents, I once got caught in one of those pull-down, spring loaded attic stairways I was putting in - I had my 'helper' start to fold it up into the attic while I tightened/straightened some of the levers and mechanisms and my legs got caught between two of the joints as it closed...after the cussing stopped, we managed to get the limbs untangled with only minimal bodily harm - but they can be deadly, so watch out!!! :eek:

DILLIGAF
08-10-06, 05:25 PM
When my kid was 14 he wrecked into my garage door with the golf cart.Yes my kid drives around the neighborhood on the golf cart with a garage remote so he won't have to walk inside.He misjudged the height of the cart one day,creamed the door.

codewize
08-10-06, 05:42 PM
That is so dangerous. I have seen those springs come off. That's a good way to get killed.

Adam
08-10-06, 06:48 PM
yeah...i know :)
considering i've torpedoed my car into immovable objects twice at 1K deductible per....i don't have much of a leg to stand on :p

GOOD HELL TWICE!!! man i thought it just happened once! haha that is a funny story though. sucks you had to pay that much... but funny nonetheless.

Elvis
08-10-06, 07:51 PM
I had to re-align mine once, and that involved re-tensioning the spring. That is one scary mofo of a job that requires special tools I didn't have.

I did it anyway, but I'm very lucky not to have seriously injured myself.

urbanski
08-10-06, 07:53 PM
yeah, see i'm so stupid i didn't know the spring was under tension, nor did i know how impossible it was for me....being a dumbass...to try to fix it :D:p :hide:

Elvis
08-10-06, 07:56 PM
nor did i know how impossible it was for me....being a dumbass...to try to fix it :D:p :hide:

Didn't stop me!

I guess that makes me an even dumber ass. :bang2:

Elvis
08-10-06, 07:59 PM
By the way,

I PASSED THE 6,000 MARK!!!

:banana: :excited: :dance: :band: :woohoo:

:showoff: :dumbbells:

:elvis3:

urbanski
08-10-06, 08:40 PM
By the way,

haha sweet :D

Stoneage_Caddy
08-11-06, 02:02 AM

$559, 2 springs, 1 cable, and many straightened hinges later, it works again :bigroll:

do not ever EVER mess with your garage door. ACK. somebody get me another beer :thepan: :bighead:

i smell a permaban in the urbanski household

DopeStar 156
08-11-06, 03:43 AM
My dad hit me with the door once..... I'll explain...

We had gone out and were now home. We usually empty the car and everyone walks inside through the door before he'll pull the truck into the garage. This was back when we had my mom's F-150. Trailing behind my mom and brother I walk under the door, little do I realize my dad hit the button again on the remote. I forget why he chose to hit it a second time, but he did. I'm exactly 6 foot tall and I think I was wearing platforms so I was standing 6' 4" at the time. So what happened was as I was walking under the door it came down on my head, felt resistance, went back up, and the freakin' light starts blinking. Some F-Bombs, and ice packs later, I felt better........

Elvis
08-11-06, 09:52 AM
Releasing the F-bombs in front of the entire family is always good wholesome fun!

I did it at Easter once in front of my grandmother and two little cousins who were under age 5. When they grew up, one got busted for shoplifting and pot possession, the other spent 3 months in a detox center.

I'm certain it was all my fault.

nickc50310
08-11-06, 10:12 AM

HOLY SHIT DUDE YOU GOT RAPED! My family is in the garagae door business. Im a state computer technician now but I worked at the family business most of my life. Replacing springs and cables is easy as pie (for a door tech). We would have charged you 200 bucks at the most for this job. I think you should go to whoever fixed it and slap them around a bit. How long was the tech there?

As far as hanging being dangerous- the main risk is the risk of falling on your behind and, of course, the risk of damage to the door. Most springs these days are torsion springs- they wrap around the torsion bar at the top of the door. If one of these breaks it makes a really loud noise. You may shat yourself when you hear it but theres no way for the spring to get loose and injure you. The only time you can really be injured by a torsion spring is when you are winding it up. The other main type of spring is the old stretch spring. THESE ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. They just attach to door and stretch when it goes down and compress when the door is up. Most good door companies will run a cable through the middle to minimize it flying all over the place if it breaks. Even with this safety it can still come free and severly injure you.

I have seen stretch springs break loose and shoot clean through a wall.

nickc50310
08-11-06, 10:15 AM
My dad hit me with the door once..... I'll explain...

We had gone out and were now home. We usually empty the car and everyone walks inside through the door before he'll pull the truck into the garage. This was back when we had my mom's F-150. Trailing behind my mom and brother I walk under the door, little do I realize my dad hit the button again on the remote. I forget why he chose to hit it a second time, but he did. I'm exactly 6 foot tall and I think I was wearing platforms so I was standing 6' 4" at the time. So what happened was as I was walking under the door it came down on my head, felt resistance, went back up, and the freakin' light starts blinking. Some F-Bombs, and ice packs later, I felt better........

I think he was trying to eliminate you for wearing platforms! :bouncy: :thepan: :alchi: :stirpot: :crybaby:

urbanski
08-11-06, 10:20 AM
HOLY SHIT DUDE YOU GOT RAPED! .

lol :p
too late now.

Also found out this AM that i wrenched my back pretty good, i can barely move :D :rolleyes: YAY!!!

urbanski
08-11-06, 10:21 AM
i smell a permaban in the urbanski household

i just gave you your second gold box...

lol i said box

EcSTSatic
08-11-06, 10:22 AM

Oops! Garage door panels don't have much lateral support. Especially the double-car doors.
There are basically two types of spring systems (http://www.clopaydoor.com/spring.asp). I'm told the torsion system is more trouble-free. My extension system has been good to me though. I did have to replace one spring after 8 years. They all have a containment cable thru the springs now so that if one breaks, it doesn't launch itself across the garage damaging your fine Caddy's paint.

LittleB
08-11-06, 02:48 PM
When my kid was 14 he wrecked into my garage door with the golf cart.Yes my kid drives around the neighborhood on the golf cart with a garage remote so he won't have to walk inside.He misjudged the height of the cart one day,creamed the door.

We have a golf cart too, and I am dying to drive it to the store haha but I am too afraid I'll get pulled over. :histeric:

By the way,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bouncy: :2thumbs::banana::cheers::woohoo::gnome: