: Damaged boot between intake & tb... need advice

08-09-06, 10:26 PM
I just discovered a bad vacuum leak in the rubber boot between the intake and the throttle body on my '01 STS. Does anyone have a part number for this boot? And now for the bad question... How do I replace it? It appears that I need to remove the throttle body... do I need to also remove the intake?

I believe the boot was damaged when the local Cadillac dealer rebuilt my engine because of excessive oil consumption at 99k miles. The 100k mile extended warranty that I purchase was definitely worth it.

08-10-06, 07:51 AM
They have a tendency to crack underneath, unless you see visible damage that would indicate they broke it, it's probably just age that killed it.

It's called a "Plenum" and I don't have the part number handy.
You can easily remove the intake manifold and just take the 3 bolts out that hold the plenum through the throttle body, no need to remove the throttle, just the 3 bolts, and then lift the intake up and replace the plenum.
It's a pretty easy job really.

08-10-06, 08:17 PM
Thanks, I'll call the dealer and get the plenum ordered.

08-11-06, 06:13 AM
We keep them in stock, I suspect they'll have one too.
I think I forgot to mention... replace all 8 of the intake seals too!
That design should have the 8 little square seals that go in the intake.
The ones in there may not seal very well after you reinstall the intake.
Clean the mounting surfaces and don't let the debris fall down into the intake ports. Best ways to prevent that are to either use compressed air and blow away all the dust and grime before you start, or use a vacuum when you get the intake off and clean off the stuff from the heads.