: Wiper Blades - What do you like

codewize
08-09-06, 08:06 AM
This has always been a problem for me. I get new blades, I've tried all different brands and a few months later they're crap. OEM wiper blades seem to hold up pretty well I think.

My DTS, the wipers were awesome when I got it then all of a sudden both side were streaking like crazy. I've cleaned the glass and the blades thoroughly to no avail.

I just want to replace the inserts because I feel that no after market blade assembly works as well or lasts as long. What do you use and why.

slk230mb
08-09-06, 08:52 AM
I use PIAA blades with the silicon on them. The water beads away and there is no streaking.

91 s-10baja
08-09-06, 05:09 PM
I use PIAA blades with the silicon on them. The water beads away and there is no streaking.

Have you tried the 'teflon' blades? If so how do you compare them to the silicon units? I have used the teflon ones that claim garanteed no chatter, and have been VERY happy w/ them.

91 Chevrolet S-10 Baja
04 Cadillac CTS

My 1991 Chevrolet S-10 BAJA (http://mysite.verizon.net/res0ftj3/id6.html)
My 2004 Cadillac CTS (http://mysite.verizon.net/res0ftj3/id5.html)

91 s-10baja
08-09-06, 05:11 PM
My DTS, the wipers were awesome when I got it then all of a sudden both side were streaking like crazy. I've cleaned the glass and the blades thoroughly to no avail.

Try clay bar on your window using windex, this will work wonders to get all that road grime off, for a better than new window. If that doesn't assist new blades.

RedGalant2k1
08-09-06, 08:36 PM
Always used ANCO with great results.

codewize
08-09-06, 09:24 PM
Ok maybe I should ask, how long do your blades last. Do you do anything to them as far as maintenance?

cadillacdrvr8692
08-09-06, 10:02 PM
they may be overrated but are rain-x blades any good ..if im gonna pay the 10 bucks a blade THEY SHOULD BE WORTH IT!!!

RedGalant2k1
08-09-06, 10:18 PM
Ok maybe I should ask, how long do your blades last. Do you do anything to them as far as maintenance?

I usually replace them every 12-18 months, or whenever they start streaking.

No maintenence necessary. I'd also recommend using Rain-X Washer Solvent.

caddydaddy
08-10-06, 08:28 PM
they may be overrated but are rain-x blades any good ..if im gonna pay the 10 bucks a blade THEY SHOULD BE WORTH IT!!!

Rain X were the worst blades I had ever used! I put them on my STS, and the first rain I drove through, they would streak like you wouldn't believe, couldn't clean for crap, and squeaked like crazy. I even tried cleaning the blades, with no luck. I even wrote them a letter explaining my great dissapointment, and the bastards never responed!
I bought Anco blades, and they were cheaper and work great!

Jesda
08-11-06, 03:27 AM
Buy the super cheap brand at Wal Mart. They last 6-10 months, but at $1.50-$2, who the hell cares if you have to replace them more often?

Murphyg
09-12-06, 05:34 PM
Have never liked teflon myself.
Dont think Ive ever tried silicone.
Didnt like the Rain-x either.
Am gonna try the clay bar on the windshield this winter. Never thought of doing that with my factory blades. Used it over my head lamps and cleaned them off quite well.

For now Im leavin my factory wipers till they crap out.
But when I do replace them it will be with Reflex wipers.
I put them on my 93 and was quite happy with them.
Also put them on the wifes Bonneville as well as the mother in laws Grand Prix.

Ended up having to replace 2 on the Grand Prix,(same side both times), but was no big deal seein as they are gauranteed for a year. Just brought them back to Canadian Tire and they gave new ones no questions asked.

It wasnt even a wiper problem. Turned out the jag at Canadian tire sold her the wrong size. Apparently one is shorter than the other for the Grand Prix. She got both the same size.

Since then no problems. They work great.
I recomended them to a guy at work and he had nothing but problems on his truck.
Dont remember the year but do know that his windshield is practically flat and didnt work well.
But are still working on the other vehicles in his familly.

Either than that Id recomend the Reflex.
Just keep the reciept and any problems they're replaced for free within a year.

MashBill
09-25-06, 02:07 PM
I've been using the new Bosch Icon blades for the last 2 months. So far, they are the best blades I have ever used. I'm curious to see how they fair this winter.

behind-bars
10-11-06, 12:14 AM
Buy the super cheap brand at Wal Mart. They last 6-10 months, but at $1.50-$2, who the hell cares if you have to replace them more often?

Ugh...

Maybe your luck is better then mine. I bought pylon blades (pretty sure thats the right name) from wal-mart a few months back, installed them but never needed them till today. (Texas drought)

Going 55 mph on a 2 lane road and hear a pop only to see the little plastic clip to hold them to the arm broke and they were just being drug across at a bad angle. Luckily I came up on a gas station since both sides of the road were ditches, go into the sation and clipped it back on. That lasted a few miles then the driver side poped of again. was close to wal-mart so I stopped and bought a new one. Replaced it in the parking lot in the middle of a downpour, The new one lasted about 5 minutes before it broke in just the same way. I would stop atleast 4 more times in the next 10 miles to fix them. The passanger side didnt break until I got home and was looking at them trying to figure out what went wrong.

I know they were the right size, and you really cant put them on incorrectly so I know I am not at fault. I was just upset that I went through 3 wiper blades in a matter of hours (before and after class), arrived at school drenched head to toe. I Only have packaging to return one of them, the others may get mailed back if wal-mart denies a return without package, even though postage would outweigh the cost of them.

Think I spend a few $$ more for a better brand like anco. Being able to see is worth a few $$ to me.

dp102288
10-11-06, 08:24 AM
I have the cheap brand from autozone. Works very well and they are kinda old (over 10 months).

Benzilla
10-11-06, 04:08 PM
Cheap Wal*Mart ones work fine for me, then again I really try not to drive in the rain, so they don't get used that much.

behind-bars
10-11-06, 10:26 PM
Cheap Wal*Mart ones work fine for me, then again I really try not to drive in the rain, so they don't get used that much.

Not sure what went wrong with my cheap wal-mart ones, All I know is I was soaking wet when I got where I was going, a 15 min drive turned into 45 min with a nice stop over at wal-mart to get a new one.

I bought 2 new ones today at autozone, Anco, their better ones. They are solid metal with no plastic, they had plastic ones that were a few $ cheaper but I opted for metal.

They ran 7.99ea, but in the future I should be able to just get new blades for them instead of a whole new arm like I did this time.

Hope it rains soon so I can put them to the test

thu
10-12-06, 10:21 PM
I buy the cheap ones like Jesda does. However, I don't buy the entire blade, I buy only the refills. The blades that come with my STS is a special aerodynamic one that holds the rubber to the windshield. I'm sure it costs lots of $$$, so I just replace the rubbery part. Real cheap and easy.

The rubber part on the stock blades are locked in, but with a couple of swipes of a box knife, it comes right out and you can insert a replacement.

behind-bars
10-12-06, 10:48 PM
I buy the cheap ones like Jesda does. However, I don't buy the entire blade, I buy only the refills. The blades that come with my STS is a special aerodynamic one that holds the rubber to the windshield. I'm sure it costs lots of $$$, so I just replace the rubbery part. Real cheap and easy.

The rubber part on the stock blades are locked in, but with a couple of swipes of a box knife, it comes right out and you can insert a replacement.

Hmm, Not sure how that works on my 93. that was my original plan, I bought cheap refills but couldnt get the stock blades off. In the future I can buy refills though so the expense isnt as bad when you consider that. Unfortunately I tossed the ones that had been on their for several years, otherwise I'd try and get just the blade off. I dont know what sort of wiper blades were on it, I wouldnt think they were all original at that age.

gary88
10-15-06, 08:42 PM
My car came with Bosch blades on it, and they work really great. I put a little RainX on a rag and clean the blades with it, and it works wonders.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-18-06, 09:14 PM
ive tried every brand and every type of blade on insert on my car , changed the arms , the bushings everything ....i gave up and said "this car came with shit wipers" ...i just dont drive it in the rain

behind-bars
10-18-06, 10:17 PM
ive tried every brand and every type of blade on insert on my car , changed the arms , the bushings everything ....i gave up and said "this car came with shit wipers" ...i just dont drive it in the rain

What sort of issues did you have?

Im pretty pleased with my new ones (aanco) sp?, Just replaced the whole arms. They are not silent, but not real loud and they do a pretty nice job.

As long as I can see though Im not real picky :)

Zorb750
10-23-06, 12:22 AM

Silicone! Silicon is hard.

JRau
10-23-06, 07:30 PM
I go with the Anco blade refills, and I buy 'em at Walmart. Taste great, less filling... I mean WORKS great, less COSTLY. :alchi:

JRau

dp102288
10-24-06, 10:07 AM
^^ take it easy buddy! :D

Wiseguy2
10-25-06, 03:08 AM
I like the PIAAs myself, great blades. But the trick I have found is to clean the windshield every so often with Bon-Ami.

behind-bars
10-25-06, 02:23 PM
I like the PIAAs myself, great blades. But the trick I have found is to clean the windshield every so often with Bon-Ami.

Is bon-ami real avrasive? I would be afraid of little scratches if it were. what benefits have you seen from it?

behind-bars
10-25-06, 02:33 PM
Is bon-ami real avrasive? I would be afraid of little scratches if it were. what benefits have you seen from it?

Never mind

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/qandawindshield

says its fine to use, as did many other sites. I just assosicated the bon-ami with a scouring or brillo pad, which would scratch.

Do you ever clean the inside glass with it? My interior cleaner leaves a haze on all inside glass, I wonder how good bon ami would clean that, windex is streaky.

EDIT
Apparently it is not a good idea to bon ami the inside according to these people (http://www.hintsandtips.com/ShowPost/72/hat.aspx), they say it may have a film inside that could scratch

nigelb
10-26-06, 05:19 AM
i am using Bosch blades, the set that has the spoiler device for extra downforce on the drivers side.
Bosch are one of the only aftermarket wipers that don't squeek.
i change them at least once a year.
our annual government test inspects the condition of the blades and operation along with the washers.

Dadillac
10-27-06, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know if the PIAA silicone blades will fit the stock wiper arms on my '02 Seville? The mounting design is the same, but I am not sure if the width is correct.

Don