: I started smoking again... (official RECIPE thread!)

Elvis
08-08-06, 02:33 PM
But I didn't fall off the wagon!

http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/4531/smoker004qh3.jpg

We're talking serious southern cooking here!

First recipe:

Smoked pork loin.

Soak hickory chips or chunks in water for about 30 minutes.

Thaw and cut excess fat from the loin.

Rub entire loin in olive oil, then with 1/2 of a packet of zesty italian salad dressing mix. (You can use just about any seasoning mix you want. I just couldn't think of anything else to use at the time.)

Let loin sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes, which should be more than enough time to pre-heat the smoker.

Put the hickory chips in the box and let smoker preheat to about 240 degrees.

Put the loin in the smoker. Wait about 45 minutes.

Re-fill the wood box with more hickory chips, this time it doesn't matter if they're wet or dry.

Check back in about an hour. Maybe flip it, but it probably won't matter.

Keep cooking until meat temperature reaches about 155. Then remove the loin, wrap in aluminum foil, let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Total cooking time will vary. It was 99 degrees on my patio Sunday so it went pretty fast. Total project took about 3 hours start to finish, including prep time. Cooking time was about 2.5 hours.

A lot of sitting around and drinking was involved.

Enjoy!

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the pork loin. It didn't last very long, we devoured it.

Next week I'm smoking ducks.

gdwriter
08-08-06, 02:39 PM
So that international meet, we're having that at Elvis' house, right?

Damn, I'm hungry again, and I just ate lunch.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

slk230mb
08-08-06, 02:54 PM
Good work, the base looks good.

Rolex
08-08-06, 03:15 PM
You had me in lecture mode when I read the title! :D I've been curious how the gas and electric powered smokers fair when compared to a coal fired or wood fired unit. I'd like a full report with pics and smell-a-vision at your earliest convienence. :thumbsup:

Elvis
08-08-06, 04:03 PM
Thanks, I threw the base together from some old scraps I found laying around. My total investment is $0.00.

Two 2x4"s, four 1x4"s, 16 nails, 4 casters, primer, stove paint, and rope. I gave it three coats of primer and topped it off with the bbq/stove spraypaint. It should be sealed well enough to last a few years.

The casters came off an old desk chair that a fat guy who used to work for me broke. I always said I was going to fix it. After about 12 years I figured it was time to let it go.

http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/1350/smoker002oj0.jpg

I need to anchor the smoker to the cart somehow, and I want to build a shelf over the tank. I'll tinker with it some more on Saturday.

I'm working my way up to a big pork shoulder or butt. Might even do a turkey, but my father usually takes care of that.

I've had smoked beef tenderloin that was outstanding. I'm waiting to do that until I have a little more experience. That stuff can get expensive.

I hereby declare (with my Super Moderator powers) that henceforth this is the official "recipe thread".

Any ideas you guys have, bring 'em on!

Elvis
08-08-06, 04:12 PM
You had me in lecture mode when I read the title! :D I've been curious how the gas and electric powered smokers fair when compared to a coal fired or wood fired unit. I'd like a full report with pics and smell-a-vision at your earliest convienence. :thumbsup:

My father had a charcoal smoker. It seemed like it was more work for him to regulate the temperature. He switched to this unit a couple years ago and swears by it. Best bang for the buck--the Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain Smoker.

My father-in-law has a "Big Green Egg" and he used it to completely ruin our Thanksgiving turkey in 1999. Poor little thing had its wings completely singed off. I'm sure his alcohol intake that began at 9:30am had something to do with it.

I honestly can't say that the flavor is any better with charcoal than it is with propane. Certainly not any worse with propane.

My first effort didn't generate enough smoke. Part of it is that everything I've read and all the advice I've received is based on hickory CHUNKS, rather than the chips I used. They burned out faster, so I probably needed to re-fill the little box more than I did. I'm sure I'll do better next time, but there was just enough hickory flavor that you knew without a doubt the loin had been smoked.

There wasn't a whole lot of smell with a pork loin. I think if I had used a more fatty piece of meat and more wood the smell would've been great. I'll work on that and get back with you. :highfive:

EDBSO
08-08-06, 06:33 PM
Using it on Sunday???

Can I borrow.

Honest I will return it as soon as the propane runs out. http://forums.aaca.org/images/icons/laugh.gif

Elvis
08-08-06, 06:55 PM
That could take a while...

Elvis
08-12-06, 09:22 PM
Sunday Smoking, August 13th, 2006

In the extra fridge we have a 3-lb. beef brisket, marinading in a solution of red wine, olive oil, and several select spices designed to both tenderize and bring out the best of the flavor. There's also a special dry rub I'll apply about an hour before putting it on the smoker.

The brisket is the same cut of meat that they make corned beef and pastrami from. This is sort of what I'm trying to accomplish.

We also have two large duck breasts slowly thawing, tomorrow morning they'll be soaked in milk for four hours, then rubbed in salt and pepper. We'll then stuff them with apple and onion chunks.

The brisket could spend as many as six hours smoking at about 225 degrees, until the internal temperature reaches 190.

The ducks will probably only take 90 minutes, tops.

Jesda
08-13-06, 06:20 AM
Im extending my vacation. OFF TO SPAIN!

Elvis
08-13-06, 10:13 AM
I'm not really in Spain. I'm much closer. ;)

Elvis
08-13-06, 09:31 PM
Today was truly a learning experience.

The brisket turned out okay, I tried to follow the instructions, but if I had followed them to the letter I would have made myself some nice shoe leather or jerky.

It cooked for 3.5 hours, I basted it about every 45 minutes, flipped it four times, and I kept the heat as low as I could. I probably could've cut it off at 3 hours or a little less.

Pretty tasty, nonetheless. Good sandwiches for lunch this week. Froze about 1/3 of it for later.

Total cost=$9.45 for about 3 lbs of meat. That's a bargain considering how many meals that is. The beauty of a smoker is that you can take a lousy cut of meat and turn it into something that tastes really good.

The ducks were a mistake. It turned out that those weren't complete ducks, instead there were 14 breasts in those two bags. I only needed to thaw one of them.

This time I just had to wing it--pardon the pun. So I just grilled them. After nibbling on that spicy brisket, the natural flavor of the ducks was completely lost on me.

Live and learn, which was the entire point of this exercise. Total cost of ducks = $0.00. A good friend of mine loves to shoot them, hates to eat them. I love to eat them but have no desire to sit out in the cold waiting for them to fly over. Nor do I enjoy killing pretty animals. Armadillos are one thing, birds quite another.

I also grilled three chicken breasts, a minute steak, and an ear of corn for my wife. They turned out perfect. She'll be eating chicken all week now. She's on a low-carb diet, plenty of proteins, lots of grapefruit juice. It works.

I'm taking next weekend off, too many social engagements. But I may have a Friday nite fish fry. My neighbor brought me a mess of crappie a few weeks ago. They're damn good in the fryer.

Elvis
08-23-06, 05:23 PM
I did some more smoking over the weekend.

Thought I'd share a pic of my wife enjoying herself...

Florian
08-23-06, 08:50 PM
WOW, you sure SHE isnt Elvis???? Heard he was still around..

F