: New Chrysler Town & Country - opinions

GOTTSPD
08-08-06, 02:47 PM
Hi.

My wife wants a miniature van. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif Funny, 1 year ago (note, my daughter will be 1 year old on Thursday), my wife swore up and down that she'd never drive/own a minivan and now she wants one.

I'm perfectly okay with her getting one. They are big, slow, safe and super comfy to drive. Moreover, if you get a loaded up one, you can get tons o' toys inside. That said, I'm pretty set on getting the Chrysler Town & Country Limited. Consumer Reports said reliability was good, JD Power said it was the highest ranked in initial quality. The T&C Ltd. comes loaded. We're actually looking at a 2005 pre-owned one that has nav, sunroof, leather/suede heated, power, memory seats, rear dvd player, stow and go seating (middle and rear seats flip flop into the floor to turn the T&C into a plushly carpeted cargo van, the back seats can flip over for tailgating, power sliding doors, power rear door/hatch, 3 zone automatic climate control; cd/dvd changer, etc.......

I think we all know that Chrysler products were wildly unreliable in the 90's, but does anyone have any FIRST HAND experience with their new mini-vans?

I can get this thing (again a 2005) w/ 26K miles (it's in perfect cosmetic condition - checked it out last night, but couldn't drive it as dealership was closed) and it'd be under $23K (sticker on it would have been $37K or so). I figure it'd be worth getting an extended warranty on it too.

I played with the stow and go seating before and it's pretty slick.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Michael

EcSTSatic
08-08-06, 04:05 PM
If towing isn't a concern, the T&C is a good choice. Have you considered a wagon? I think they call them something else now because of the stigma associated with the term "station wagon".
They get much better mileage and handle better than minivans

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/4132004163120.jpg

GOTTSPD
08-08-06, 04:35 PM
We looked at a few and a few SUVs, but they really don't add enough carrying capacity for us. We've got nothing to tow. Well, we could tow my sports car, but I've never felt the need...

Elvis
08-08-06, 04:53 PM
The old quote was that behind the wheel of two-thirds of the minivans you see on the road is a person who swore they'd never own one.

I have to admit, I was tempted. But I decided to hang on to my testicles for a few more years.

GOTTSPD
08-08-06, 04:59 PM
;)

Well, my wife is the one will be driving it 95% of the time. I'll only drive it when there's a need. Otherwise, the CTS-V or my sports car will keep me entertained.

Destroyer
08-08-06, 10:20 PM
{username} loves them

pimpin88
08-08-06, 10:35 PM
{username} loves them

cmon {username}, you do know that you are just going to confuse even more people now. lol :highfive:

EcSTSatic
08-08-06, 10:39 PM
cmon {username}, you do know that you are just going to confuse even more people now. lol :highfive:

:hmm: I don't get it. Is this more of that Zoints crap? I think I'm going to delete my Zoints profile

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-09-06, 12:45 AM
If it has ANYTHING to do with Zoints, I'm deleting mine ASAP.

c5 rv
08-09-06, 09:00 AM
I had a 1990 Dodge minivan, and I think I'm one of the few people that never had a problem with it. As much as people put down minivans, they are very handy vehicles: low step-in height & load floor, plenty of passenger & cargo room, and fairly safe.

My sister and her husband are retired, travel a lot, and drive a Ford Windstar. They took a look at my SRX and both said it was very nice, but it would never hold all the stuff they travel with.

One of my co-workers is fighting his wife to keep her from ditching her Corolla and getting another minivan. They used to have a 1990s Plymouth with its share of mechanical problems, but they kept it about 10 years and 200K miles. Despite all the kids being grown and her husband nearing retirement, she misses having the cargo and passenger flexibility.

The one thing I've heard about the current Chrysler minivans is that the stow-and-go seats are uncomfortable for adults to sit in.

GOTTSPD
08-09-06, 12:02 PM
I sat in a grand caravan w/ the stow and go seats and found them to be fine. Though, I'm not really comparing them to anything.

DILLIGAF
08-09-06, 07:07 PM
Shoot me in the head for this,please.My sis has a Honda Odyssey,don't sit or drive one of these before you buy a domestic.I believe they are just as safe if not safer than the chrysler too.The power,the sound and video,the brakes,the doors,the quietness are all TITS.

GOTTSPD
08-09-06, 11:52 PM
We bought the T&C tonight! Got a good deal and added a warranty for bumper to bumper for 7/70. It drives very well, has incredible features and is laid out well. I'm hopeful that it'll prove to be reliable for us. I'm happy about the whole scene. It was kinda fun to hop back into my 410HP CTS-V after driving a 4000+lb 205HP van!

Jesda
08-10-06, 03:34 AM
I hate the disconnected and lifeless way the new Caravans drive, but love the cleverness of the whole package.

Caddy Man
08-10-06, 06:19 PM
Shoot me in the head for this,please.My sis has a Honda Odyssey,don't sit or drive one of these before you buy a domestic.I believe they are just as safe if not safer than the chrysler too.The power,the sound and video,the brakes,the doors,the quietness are all TITS.

I sat in the new odysseys and mannn are those nice! Now, I have nothing against domestics, but for those people taht say domestic quality is the same as japanese...i say to them...YEAH RIGHT.

Jesda
08-10-06, 06:26 PM
I sat in the new odysseys and mannn are those nice! Now, I have nothing against domestics, but for those people taht say domestic quality is the same as japanese...i say them them...YEAH RIGHT.

And they're slightly entertaining to drive. Nice engine, great interior too. A little overpriced though when you take Chrysler discounts into consideration.

DILLIGAF
08-10-06, 06:46 PM
And they're slightly entertaining to drive. Nice engine, great interior too. A little overpriced though when you take Chrysler discounts into consideration.
You know its funny,right now you can buy almost any domestic for the same price as 5 years ago.Were they over priced then or under priced now?I'm not talking about high end stuff,just DD's nothing fancy.My 97 ford PU was 26,000 dollars,loaded,(A )plan price for employees.Today with rebates, incentives,employee pricing=better truck same money.It's almost cheaper to buy new now than slightly used?

EcSTSatic
08-11-06, 08:33 AM
It all depends on what your needs are. A van is definitely not a "personal" vehicle. So you have to ask what do you need it to do.

I can't rationalize getting rid of my Aerostar. It has a 4.0 V6 and it's RWD. A FWD van can't match the Aero's workhorse capabilities. It's my daily driver, home remodel hauler, and sailboat tow vehicle.:thumbsup:

c5 rv
08-11-06, 11:55 AM
I had an Aerostar, too. We bought a used one when three of my kids suddenly moved in and our largest car was a Mazda 626. Ugly as sin, but very useful.