: 2007 Lexus LS 460

Lord Cadillac
08-07-06, 08:48 PM
This new Lexus flagship will feature a 4.6-liter V8 engine with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

More... (http://g.msn.com/1CPRSSLIVE/947)

davesdeville
08-08-06, 05:28 AM
8 speeds is effing useless.

Devil_concours
08-08-06, 09:13 AM
8 speeds is effing useless.

pepople probably said the samething about 6 spd back in the days but look at us now. 8 speed is awesome as long as they can keep the weight down

davesdeville
08-09-06, 05:11 AM
Let me fix that. Anything more than 4 or 5 speeds is useless. If you make any kind of torque.

Devil_concours
08-09-06, 09:10 AM
Let me fix that. Anything more than 4 or 5 speeds is useless. If you make any kind of torque.

it helps out with fuel economy tremendously with extra gear.

90Brougham350
08-09-06, 04:37 PM
Good God! This isn't just a car, it's a miracle machine! An $80,000 Japanese Maybach! Wake up Cadillac.........

davesdeville
08-10-06, 06:05 AM
it helps out with fuel economy tremendously with extra gear.

Not necissarily. More gears isn't important. Proper gearing is what is important.

Lord Cadillac
08-10-06, 10:19 AM
Regardless of everything, get in a Lexus LS430 and Drive It - and you'll realize that just about everything else on the road is inferior...

"The LS 460 climate control system measures not only the interior air temperature, but through sensors in the seats, the body temperature for the occupants to create the optimum environment."

The LS430 has oscillating air conditioning and heating vents. I'd driven one around for a short time - and at one point I'd taken it to the dealership as the vents didn't seem to be oscillating all the way back and forth. After close examination, they told me it was because the vents actually stay in the range of whichever side is needing the hotter or cooler air. So what looked to me like the vents getting stuck was simply the car "knowing" to keep the vents in one specific area.

And before you say the dealership was just BSing me - I tested their theory with the air conditioner on. With the temperature on very low, the vents did stick to whichever side of the car needed more cooler air. When I raised the temperature, the vents began to fully oscillate from left to right again...

Sure, that's one silly feature that's not very important (to you - but it is to me and many others) - but all these silly little features add up.

Another example is the sound-deadening material they use inside the car. Did you know that the coating over all the wood grain has a special chemical that deadens sound? Like I said, all these little interesting things add-up to make the Lexus LS, the Lexus LS.. I can go on and on and on about the amazing things this car does. I wish Cadillac would buy one, study it, and start impressing me this way...

dp102288
08-10-06, 10:28 AM
I think with more speed transmissions, there should be more than one gear with ratios less than 1. Like 2 or 3 overdrive gears, but with lower ratios so the car would be at less rpms at highway speeds.

Wait, is that what they are doing here?

fast66
08-10-06, 12:15 PM
I gotta buy 2 of these and ship them back home, I gotta get a gold ls460l and a white ls460 for 2 diff uncles.

fast66
08-10-06, 12:19 PM
anyone know the exact date these things come out? They keep calling me for prices and dates but I just wanna stall them for a while cause Im too lazy to go down to a lexus dealer.

Zorb750
08-11-06, 05:15 AM
The Mercedes C220 CDI on the European market measures not only the intensity but the direction of the sun into the inside of the car, which it takes into account when determining location to send air from, direction to send it to, and temperature to make it.

PAULSTSMAN1
08-11-06, 08:05 AM

This is Bob Lutz thinking, so as long as this kind of thinking prevails, Cadillac will only make 2nd rate cars. The Lexus LS460, is the best Luxury Car made.

Jesda
08-12-06, 03:43 AM
The LS460 is quite interesting, but I think the S-class will retain the crown as "best" in terms of luxury.

Lord Cadillac
08-15-06, 11:55 AM
...from familycar.com:

There are many thoughtful touches inside and outside to make life easy, from the power seat belt height adjusters to the duplicate power seat controls for the passenger seat that are within easy reach of the driver. The driver can easily pre-position the passenger seat so that if the last passenger had the seat reclined, the next passenger won't fall back unexpectedly when entering. Small touches, but nice to have.

Another optional feature that elicited wows when the LS460 was announced last January was a system that would allow the car to actually park itself. You simply pull up to a parking space and place the Intelligent Park Assist system into self-park mode. After that, all you have to do is keep your foot lightly on the brake pedal. The car will do the rest, automatically steering into the space for a perfect park each time.

All long wheelbase models will include power rear door closers, so the rear seat passenger shouldn't have to reach out in an undignified manner to close the door.

* Six titanium cone speakers will be arranged across the dash
* a woofer will be located in each front door
* three speakers will be in each rear door
* four satellite speakers will be in the rear roof pillars
* a woofer will be located in the rear package shelf.

Standing start to 60 miles per hour is a blistering 5.4 seconds, which beats many high end performance sedans. The LS460 will get 19 mpg for city driving and 27 mpg on the highway. With eight forward speeds, you could spread the ratios out to have a lower first gear for improved off-the-line acceleration, and a higher top gear for better fuel economy on the highway.

The LS600h L is expected to be the quietest car ever made. It is so quiet that engineers had to go back to the drawing board to redesign all the electric motors and switches because they were becoming noticeable for the first time.

Lexus will also make available a new Advanced Pre-Collision System as an option for all LS models. This system is so advanced, it will even detect pedestrians. Two small cameras mounted at the front of the car, in conjunction with millimeter-wave radar, are sensitive enough to detect not just large metal obstructions such as cars but also smaller nonmetallic objects, such as humans.

A third camera, mounted on the steering column, monitors the driverís face. If the camera sees that the driver is looking away for a few seconds or more, and something is in the car's path, then it alerts the driver first with a warning chime and a flashing light. If that doesn't get the driver to react, the system can begin to gently apply the brakes on its own. The system will also reprogram the steering ratio to quicken the steering response. While all of this is happening, the system automatically cinches up the passenger restraints and prepares the brake system to respond with full force when activated by the driver in anticipation of a possible impact.

90Brougham350
08-15-06, 05:34 PM
Well........um........yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing anything like this from Cadillac for a while. As in, 4 or 5 decades. This sounds more extensive and luxurious than an S-class. I'm quite anxious to see one. I'm also wondering if it really gets 29 mpg highway. If it does, and I'm sure it will be in the mid-20's at least, this will really be a dream-machine.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-15-06, 09:06 PM
Well it looks as though the S Class may be u-surped by the LS460 as the king of the luxury sedan..

Lord Cadillac
08-16-06, 01:57 AM
And what amazes me most is all this is from a company who's top of the line car was this just 20 years ago:

Jesda
08-16-06, 03:34 AM
And what amazes me most is all this is from a company who's top of the line car was this just 20 years ago:

No, that wasnt even close to the best Toyota could make back then. You forgot the indulgently luxurious Toyota Century.

Blackout
08-16-06, 05:23 AM
Toyota Supra or Cressida FTW!

davesdeville
08-20-06, 08:28 AM
This is Bob Lutz thinking, so as long as this kind of thinking prevails, Cadillac will only make 2nd rate cars. The Lexus LS460, is the best Luxury Car made.

If by "second rate" you mean "doesn't have stuff thats useless but that rich people like to brag about" then you might be correct.

Blackout
08-20-06, 08:56 AM
If by "second rate" you mean "doesn't have stuff thats useless but that rich people like to brag about" then you might be correct.Thats what the rich want in a luxury car. They want as many gizmo's and gadgets as they can have to make them feel wealthy and stuff to brag about. Cadillac's are nice enough cars but they ain't a Maybach. That is luxury!

Lord Cadillac
08-20-06, 09:02 AM
If by "second rate" you mean "doesn't have stuff thats useless but that rich people like to brag about" then you might be correct.

Thats what the rich want in a luxury car. They want as many gizmo's and gadgets as they can have to make them feel wealthy and stuff to brag about. Cadillac's are nice enough cars but they ain't a Maybach. That is luxury!

Exactly. It may seem useless to you since the CEO of the company you work for will never get into your vehicle, but if I can give MY boss a reclining rear leather seat with massage and whatever other nonsense is available.....

90Brougham350
08-20-06, 09:05 AM

It's all in the details my friend, it's the close attention that Japanese engineers spend so much time on, the little things that make all the differences and ultimately separate this LS460 from anything Cadillac is doing.

RedGalant2k1
08-20-06, 09:51 AM

Well than become a wealthy person and build your own super basic luxury sedan. Meanwhile Lexus will endulge people in fabulous accoutrements that have and always will make people buy it in droves.

The Lexus LS460 is a fantastic car, the extras, the build, the service, the company are all top notch.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-20-06, 12:57 PM
It's all in the details my friend, it's the close attention that Japanese engineers spend so much time on, the little things that make all the differences and ultimately separate this LS460 from anything Cadillac is doing.

Exactly!!!! +10 for Brian!

Blackout
08-20-06, 01:23 PM
My grandfather bought a new GS430 and the dealership invited him to their dealership after they had closed and my grandfather met the owner of the dealership and they setup a private little party with wine and cheese. All of the management staff was on hand and the owner of the dealership handed my grandfather the keys and he was on his way. It's stuff like that that would make a person want to do business with them again and again which he has. He bought my grandmom a LX300 and then traded that in and got her a new LX330.

Blackout
08-20-06, 01:27 PM
It's all in the details my friend, it's the close attention that Japanese engineers spend so much time on, the little things that make all the differences and ultimately separate this LS460 from anything Cadillac is doing.Exactly. While Cadillac is more into making their cars fast Lexus is looking into making the world's most quite interior for a car. I dunno about you davesdeville but I think that screams luxury more then having a Corvette engine under the hood

Lord Cadillac
08-20-06, 02:01 PM

This is what some people understand and some just "won't"...

Jesda
08-20-06, 06:00 PM
The IS convertible and IS coupe need to hit the market NOW to sustain Lexus's sales position, because BMW and Cadillac are #2 and #3, and their success rests on the 3-series and CTS, both of which are highly profitable and emphasize sport over luxury.

As marvelous as I believe the LS460 will be, its unimportant in terms of sales competition and the bottom line. The supersedan is meant to be a low-volume halo product for showcasing technology. Seldom do sales become anything fiscally meaningful, as their purpose is to build credibility for the brand.

[MB is now #4, and you can guess where MB's customers went after their quality decline.]

The most noteworthy change in the luxury market is the sudden importance of ENTRY luxury and SPORT luxury. Back in 1990, Lexus and Infiniti arrived with full size sedans as their primary products, but with the passing of time, a more youthful, more aspirational public went for cars like the 3-series, CTS, and G35. The Lexus IS never gained much steam, but sales are slowly growing with the latest generation. Infiniti's rebirth came from the $30,000 G35, not from the opulent '02 Q45, which was a massive sales failure.

Young people are less likely than their parents to prolong their joy or make sacrifices, which means they will spend NOW for as much luxury as they can possibly have. And naturally, being young, they'll want some sport with their luxury. As a result, cars like the DTS, LS, and S-class become less important and less relevant.

Perhaps, once my hair is gray and my bowels lose their ability to hold my stool in, I'll change my mind and lose interest in cars like the CTS and XLR. When that happens, I'll let you know, and you can take my new Lexus for a spin.

Blackout
08-20-06, 11:07 PM
The IS convertible and IS coupe need to hit the market NOW to sustain Lexus's sales position, because BMW and Cadillac are #2 and #3, and their success rests on the 3-series and CTS, both of which are highly profitable and emphasize sport over luxury.Cadillac only has one convertible and that costs $70k which is their only coupe as well so the IS will not be in the same class as the XLR so they wouldn't be direct competitors and if you want to think of it like that then the IS Vert and coupe will destroy the XLR sales without hesitation

Jesda
08-20-06, 11:58 PM
Cadillac only has one convertible and that costs $70k which is their only coupe as well so the IS will not be in the same class as the XLR so they wouldn't be direct competitors and if you want to think of it like that then the IS Vert and coupe will destroy the XLR sales without hesitation

I wasnt comparing the IS to the XLR. But if the CTS platform spawned a topless two-door, it would be hot.

PAULSTSMAN1
08-21-06, 11:31 PM
Exactly. It may seem useless to you since the CEO of the company you work for will never get into your vehicle, but if I can give MY boss a reclining rear leather seat with massage and whatever other nonsense is available.....

Not simply message, but his choice of 4 diverse disciplines of massage, while in a climate controlled noise canceling environment. Simply exquisite!

Lord Cadillac
08-22-06, 12:26 PM
Not simply message, but his choice of 4 diverse disciplines of massage, while in a climate controlled noise canceling environment. Simply exquisite!
I hear ya..

I can appreciate driving a "driver's" car.. I've had 'em in the past. It's fun driving a car that can outhandle others. But what makes me more interested in the soft-riders is the fact that, well, I'm guessing about 99.9% of drivers will even drive their cars like "The Transporter" or James Bond... So what's the use? I'd rather enjoy the amenities that I can appreciate 100% of the time than those that I can't (without getting a ticket).

davesdeville
08-28-06, 04:48 AM
Don't get me wrong I like my amenities. I want heated and cooled massaging seats, because I like having my rear toasted on a cold winter day, I like having it cooled on a hot summer day, and massaged after a long day. I can actually use and appreciate those features.

But an 8spd transmission is something that isn't going to benefit me in any real way, other than me being able to brag about it.

Lord Cadillac
08-28-06, 06:35 AM
Lexus claims that the 8 speed transmission is beneficial with the new engine but I agree it's probably not something very important.

dp102288
08-28-06, 09:18 AM
^^ Agree. If the tranny can't keep the rpms at less than 1200 at 80 mph, then they are not utilizing all those gears anyway.

My ESC is at 2000 rpms at 80, and this car has twice as many gears!

90Brougham350
08-28-06, 10:29 AM
It's not just about the number of gears for bragging rights, think about it this way. Would Lexus do something just for bragging rights? Probably not, after all, it's Lexus. There's a reason this thing will be able to get at least 25 mpg on the highway, probably more. The Lexus might not NEED 8 speeds, but if it keeps the engine at that perfect rpm at the perfect time for great performance and great mileage, it's the perfect feature.

lowscola
08-28-06, 01:32 PM
The New LS is raising the bar to unprecedented levels. They have a model that parallel parks it self!

Plus they will be offering a hybrid model - The LS 460h L which will have 12cyl. performance ( 460 HP ) with 8cyl. fuel economy.... AWD at that.

My small write up and pics on my web page:

Maddox Computer Systems - Low Scola - Automotive (http://www.maddoxcomputersystems.com/lowscola/auto/auto1.html)

RedGalant2k1
08-28-06, 10:35 PM
The New LS is raising the bar to unprecedented levels. They have a model that parallel parks it self!

Plus they will be offering a hybrid model - The LS 460h L which will have 12cyl. performance ( 460 HP ) with 8cyl. fuel economy.... AWD at that.

My small write up and pics on my web page:

Maddox Computer Systems - Low Scola - Automotive (http://www.maddoxcomputersystems.com/lowscola/auto/auto1.html)

Lexus, nor Toyota has ever used a V12 powerplant. The Lexus LS 460L and Lexus LS 600h L is no different.

Btw, it runs an 8spd transmission for better acceleration through 1st through 3rd and 4th through 8th are for economy. It is said that this 8spd transmission has less moving parts and is 10% lighter than its 6spd predecessor. Maybe Cadillac should think ahead a little bit more and they'd be much farther along in the market place.

Blackout
08-29-06, 09:41 AM
Lexus, nor Toyota has ever used a V12 powerplant. He didn't say it was a 12 cylinder. He said it would offer 12 cylinder like performance while getting a V8's gas mileage. If thats the case then thats not a bad deal at all

It is said that this 8spd transmission has less moving parts and is 10% lighter than its 6spd predecessor.If thats true then I guess the guys hating on the 8 speed would be eating their words.

PAULSTSMAN1
08-29-06, 11:05 AM
He didn't say it was a 12 cylinder. He said it would offer 12 cylinder like performance while getting a V8's gas mileage. If thats the case then thats not a bad deal at all

If thats true then I guess the guys hating on the 8 speed would be eating their words.

I anxiously await the EPA RATING, with 8 speeds what will the economy be like? The new L version may be the Fleetwood of Lexus. This is what can be done when a Company pursues perfection, anyone listening?

Lord Cadillac
08-29-06, 01:30 PM
The Lexus LS 460L WILL be the Fleetwood Brougham of Lexus.. This is why I created that "Cadillac/second rate" post. Cadillac needs to start thinking on their toes and being the first to do this and that or they're going to be looking up to cars that people consider boring...

Jesda
09-02-06, 12:19 PM
The Lexus LS 460L WILL be the Fleetwood Brougham of Lexus.. This is why I created that "Cadillac/second rate" post. Cadillac needs to start thinking on their toes and being the first to do this and that or they're going to be looking up to cars that people consider boring...

Boring and beautiful cars can be built by GM, but they ought to be called Buicks. Don't tarnish the Cadillac name with derivative drivel.

PAULSTSMAN1
09-04-06, 02:05 PM

The Los Angeles Times August 30, 2006 quotes that the Lexus LS 460L has a 380 HP 4.6 engine (same size as the Northstar) with 8 speed auto transmission has EPA rating of 19 MPG city/29MPG hwy. That sounds pretty good to me! My Northstar is 16MPG city/25MPG hwy, and 320HP in the newer model.

Zorb750
09-07-06, 03:54 PM
Lexus, nor Toyota has ever used a V12 powerplant. The Lexus LS 460L and Lexus LS 600h L is no different.

Bullshit. Look up the Toyota Century. Full sized, 12 cylinder, rear wheel drive.

xxcaddytech
09-09-06, 04:29 AM
just my 2cents lexus builds an incredible car. cadillac finally builds an incredible car in 05 --sts-- BUT the ugly 05 ls430 is still worth $40k+ today. i bought my 05sts v8 awd for $28k. my 95 ls400 (better looking than the 430 imho)has 175k miles and is still worth $7-8k whats a 95 caddy with the same milage worth? $1-2k maybe? sad because i love caddy's... i was a caddy master tech for 6yrs and a tech on them for 12. made great money. $100k+ a yr so do the lexus techs--nothings perfect--- but lexus fixes there problems not mask them --official gm warrenty policy-- if the customer does not have a complaint about it don't fix it.-- and that is what i heard for 12 yrs before i got out of the car buisness.. gm is reaping what the seeds they planted and sending customers to lexus.. i will buy a ls460 in a couple yrs as the overall quality will be better. and i won't take a financial bath when i sell it...but i still love my sts and caddies! ps. fwiw i'm 38years old. write one check for every car i buy and will buy many more cars (hopefully)! ! !

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-10-06, 11:25 PM
What do you guys think of the exterior design of the new LS460? I think it's boring...looks like a Camry. Doesn't have the upright, formal, handsome somewhat arrogant look of the 1st gen LS, especially the 97-00 models.
The new LS460 carries that new Lexus design language, in other words, they're speaking german, so basically, they're following this new trend among other automakers where everything looks like the new Bangle BMWs. Lexus shouldn't look like BMW's, especially the 5 Series! Lexuses should look like mini Mercedes Benzes, but not the new "wannabe BMW" Mercedes models, but the much more formal '90s W140 and W126 models...squarish, upright, formal, elegant and timeless.

1998-00 Lexus LS400, one of the best looking luxury sedans ever, and japan's finest looking car ever.
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2000/Lexus/1647/006432-E.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2000/Lexus/1647/006485-E.jpg

2006 LS460, it looks like a damn 545i!
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0601_naias_02+2007_lexus_ls460+front_left_view.jpg
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0601_naias_03+2007_lexus_ls460+rear_side_view.jpg

Just for comparison, here's the new 5 series and the new Camry..
http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/D485C3AD-796D-4533-84AD-C97036B5F75F/0/0655_06.jpg
http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/2007/camry/gallery/exterior/photo_7.jpg

Jesda
09-10-06, 11:57 PM
Derivative knockoff styling. A Lexus tradition.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-11-06, 12:11 AM
Derivative knockoff styling. A Lexus tradition.

It's not just Lexus, it's all of the asian car brands, but that's probably a good thing, because we've seen what happens when they try and come up with their own designs.

Lord Cadillac
09-11-06, 12:19 AM
Boring and beautiful cars can be built by GM, but they ought to be called Buicks. Don't tarnish the Cadillac name with derivative drivel.

Remember those martians from the movie Mars Attacks? That wierd sound they make? Well make believe I'm doing that sound at you. Gaak! Gaak! Gaak! :p

Lord Cadillac
09-11-06, 12:28 AM
The Camry looks like a 5 - and is similar in size. The LS460 looks like the 7 - and is similar in size... I liked the 98-2000 LS400 as well.. Very nice design - but still a Mercedes copy.. Not that it bothered me...

What do you guys think of the exterior design of the new LS460? I think it's boring...looks like a Camry. Doesn't have the upright, formal, handsome somewhat arrogant look of the 1st gen LS, especially the 97-00 models.
The new LS460 carries that new Lexus design language, in other words, they're speaking german, so basically, they're following this new trend among other automakers where everything looks like the new Bangle BMWs. Lexus shouldn't look like BMW's, especially the 5 Series! Lexuses should look like mini Mercedes Benzes, but not the new "wannabe BMW" Mercedes models, but the much more formal '90s W140 and W126 models...squarish, upright, formal, elegant and timeless.

1998-00 Lexus LS400, one of the best looking luxury sedans ever, and japan's finest looking car ever.
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2000/Lexus/1647/006432-E.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2000/Lexus/1647/006485-E.jpg

2006 LS460, it looks like a damn 545i!
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0601_naias_02+2007_lexus_ls460+front_left_view.jpg
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0601_naias_03+2007_lexus_ls460+rear_side_view.jpg

Just for comparison, here's the new 5 series and the new Camry..
http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/D485C3AD-796D-4533-84AD-C97036B5F75F/0/0655_06.jpg
http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/2007/camry/gallery/exterior/photo_7.jpg

xxcaddytech
09-11-06, 04:58 PM
It's not just Lexus, it's all of the asian car brands, but that's probably a good thing, because we've seen what happens when they try and come up with their own designs.

lmao rofl ! ! :yeah: the truth is spoken!
fwiw....:histeric: i always thought the 92-04 sts and eldo look like ford cougars/t-birds:histeric: :histeric:

omarg
12-20-06, 06:49 PM
well i drove this car at "taste of lexus" event. The car was incredible. The was not one vibraion. The car handled superbly but didn't FEEL as good as the 7-series. You gotta give props to lexus, they make boring but perfect machines. My 93 and 94 LS400 are perfect even with 200k+ on the odo. If i could get caddy attitude and style with lexus reliability and build quality... That new 4.6l v8 is awesome. Makes 60 more horses than the caddy and get better gas mileage, its faster, quieter, and probably will be just as bulletproof as the 1uz-fe

dp102288
12-20-06, 10:04 PM
^^ How did the 8 speed trans feel? I am dying to punch one of those to see what 8 speeds can really do.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
12-22-06, 09:23 PM
^^ How did the 8 speed trans feel? I am dying to punch one of those to see what 8 speeds can really do.Whaddya mean, what 8 speeds can really do? Ill tell ya now what it can do, SHIFT! And itll do that alot! Holy overkill, batman!

AznPrydeRegalRyde
12-22-06, 09:35 PM
It's not just Lexus, it's all of the asian car brands, but that's probably a good thing, because we've seen what happens when they try and come up with their own designs. Asian designed vehicles are some of the ugliest designs ever, not just automotive, but generally. There are some chinese trucks that are hilarious, they are so ugly. You almost ask 'are they for real'?

AznPrydeRegalRyde
12-22-06, 09:42 PM
My grandfather bought a new GS430 and the dealership invited him to their dealership after they had closed and my grandfather met the owner of the dealership and they setup a private little party with wine and cheese. All of the management staff was on hand and the owner of the dealership handed my grandfather the keys and he was on his way. It's stuff like that that would make a person want to do business with them again and again which he has. He bought my grandmom a LX300 and then traded that in and got her a new LX330.My mother had a similar experience. She ordered online a new IS350. But she traded in her e500 (due to electrical problems) about 2 weeks before the IS arrived. So they gave her a GS300 for free for 2 weeks plus let her test drive a couple of the new models! And when the IS finally arrived, they gave her a giftbasket, and the owner personally came and shook her hand. Had her come to his office, gave her this nice gift basket, it was really special treatment! When I bought my cadillac, I didnt even get window cleaner. I ordered it, it arrived, someone called 4 days after it showed up, and the salesman hurried me out of his office because he had customers!

If Lexuss had offered a stick in the IS350, I might be driving one now.

90Brougham350
12-22-06, 09:57 PM
Whaddya mean, what 8 speeds can really do? Ill tell ya now what it can do, SHIFT! And itll do that alot! Holy overkill, batman!

I wonder if they'll be having problems with the engine not breaking in like Mercedes is having right now because the engine never sees any RPM's high enough to seat the rings. 8 gears sounds like a recipe for a $7000 rebuild some day.

dp102288
12-22-06, 10:19 PM
^^ Yeah I remember Danbuc saying the M-Bs are having that problem. Factory fix is to run it in low gear for a few hours.

Whaddya mean, what 8 speeds can really do? Ill tell ya now what it can do, SHIFT! And itll do that alot! Holy overkill, batman!

I would like to feel how they geared the trans and how well it shifts. Then I would like to see rpm in top gear at ~80 mph.

90Brougham350
12-22-06, 11:45 PM
I just don't see the need for 8 gears. Does anyone know the ratios for this tranny yet? I mean, if there's a .3 difference between every gear, what's the point?

Blackout
12-23-06, 02:51 PM
My mother had a similar experience. She ordered online a new IS350. But she traded in her e500 (due to electrical problems) about 2 weeks before the IS arrived. So they gave her a GS300 for free for 2 weeks plus let her test drive a couple of the new models! And when the IS finally arrived, they gave her a giftbasket, and the owner personally came and shook her hand. Had her come to his office, gave her this nice gift basket, it was really special treatment! When I bought my cadillac, I didnt even get window cleaner. I ordered it, it arrived, someone called 4 days after it showed up, and the salesman hurried me out of his office because he had customers!

If Lexuss had offered a stick in the IS350, I might be driving one now.My grandpop had a similar experience. He had a RX300 for my grandmom then he got her the RX330 then he ordered his GS430 and they had in come in after hours with a few others people who were there to pick up their cars and they had wine and cheeses with the owner of the dealership then they walked them into their garage area and they had everyone's cars sitting there waiting for them and the owner personally handed the keys over to each owner and then they all left. Now that's customer service!

dp102288
12-23-06, 10:10 PM
^^ Wow. That's is a great way to treat customers. And I thought free coffee was a good thing...

AznPrydeRegalRyde
12-23-06, 10:19 PM
^^ Yeah I remember Danbuc saying the M-Bs are having that problem. Factory fix is to run it in low gear for a few hours.

I would like to feel how they geared the trans and how well it shifts. Then I would like to see rpm in top gear at ~80 mph.Thats crazy! Theres always a downside to overkill ;)

Honestly tho, Id love to drive it, dp1022....IT would be nice to know what it got at 80 mph, and how much gears it downshifted when you floored it.

My biggest concern with it being lighter would be, is it still strong enough? But then again, how often is an LS430 going to use all its power?

dp102288
12-24-06, 10:48 AM
^^ Good point on the last line...I never saw any Lexus (beside that fugly IS3xx) going faster than 60 mph. Seems like a waste for all that.

About "it" being lighter, you mean the car in general, or the trans?

darrelld
12-26-06, 09:16 PM
This new Lexus flagship will feature a 4.6-liter V8 engine with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

More... (http://g.msn.com/1CPRSSLIVE/947)

I checked one of these out while getting my IS350's 10,000 mile service. Very nice ride. Lexus service is second to none and any minor problem is addressed immediately.

Do you still have your RX?

Lord Cadillac
12-27-06, 01:43 AM
Yes, we still have the RX300. I think my wife is going to drive it until it hits 100,000 miles and the warranty is through.. If I'm not mistaken, Slywun's wife has an RX300 with 250,000 miles on it and it still runs perfect...

darrelld
12-27-06, 07:29 AM
Yes, we still have the RX300. I think my wife is going to drive it until it hits 100,000 miles and the warranty is through.. If I'm not mistaken, Slywun's wife has an RX300 with 250,000 miles on it and it still runs perfect...

Have you taken an LS 460 for a test drive? I know its not a sports sedan but I am curious how it handles.

dp102288
12-27-06, 12:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Slywun's wife has an RX300 with 250,000 miles on it and it still runs perfect...

Wow. That is pretty damn good. My uncle had an RX300. He really liked that car. Since he got rid of it, he told me he wished he could of kept it because of the good handling & ride, and the almost non-existant maintence costs.

Jesda
12-27-06, 07:43 PM
Lexus reminds me of Saturn. Despite mediocre, dull products, top-notch customer service keeps them going. Dealer service is a major spot where GM needs to really make Cadillac and Buick more competitive.

dp102288
12-27-06, 10:30 PM
^^ Saturn service is good? I don't know anyone with a Saturn so I am not being sarcastic.

I can vouch for Lexus dealerships being great...that's where we got my Eldo from! Nice, comfy, waiting rooms (tv, couches, magazines, newspapers). Yummy coffee and cakes. An activity room for kids, even the counter girl was a draw...

The Cadillac dealership near me is very bland. No real waiting room, no entertainment, no one to really "greet" you. I actually don't like going to that place.

faster
12-30-06, 02:49 PM
Brasington Cadillac here in G'ville has never failed to do its best for me or my dad as long as you ask them to (we have purchased 3 Cadillacs from them). I agree dealerships today including Brasington do not appear very customer oriented and will not go out of their way for you unless you ask (big mistake).

There is no reason to have eight gear choices in a vehicle that tows anything less than 20K lbs. I would not tolerate the annoyance of the inscesant shifting and transmission hunting for gears and I won't believe you don't feel it. Transmission programming in today's cars is attrocious, they are constantly hunting and you have to wait for them to decide what they want to do before the car responds. I would rather drive my antique 67 Sedan Deville or 72 Buick GS than any of my newer cars. I have owned Lincoln Town cars and Buick Park Avenues and now drive a 95 Flwd and 04 Deville. The 67 and 72 produce much smoother and superior pulling power from high gear roll ons in traffic. My GS will pull all but extremely few cars on the road today (easy high 12's and the Caddy ran 16.0). Those old cars are in high gear between 15-20 MPH and just pull effortlessly. Cars today do not produce real torque anymore especially below 3000+ RPM, hence the need for the trans hunting and the fuel mileage of those boats in traffic is not that much worse than todays full size cars considering what those things weigh, the volume of air they move through the those big blocks and throw in the non-lock up converters. I am seriously considering selling off the newer vehicles and driving my old cars just for the fun and look at me factors. Plus my wife never got stuck somewhere because the fault key safety left her stranded in a parking lot all alone one day. The electric power windows or seats or trunk opener or vacuum locks have not failed on that 30 year old car yet. I will however concede the superior "mechanical" drivetrain reliability and longevity of todays vehicles easily going 200K miles with just minimum maintenence. The safety features are a necessity, antilocks and air bags save lives. I will also concede todays cars handle much better but how many people are really capable of driving cars to those limits anyway? Very few, most seriouly overreact resulting in rollovers and going into oncoming traffic. The older cars were more forgiving to driver error. Get on any super highway and watch how many are driving 80+ MPH. They are lulled into feeling in control but are actually way over their head in the event of an emergency driving situation.

Personally, I have been racing for 30+ years and don't need or like anti locks. I'd still rather drive the old iron, I am really showing my age here aren't I?

Mikey

dp102288
12-30-06, 09:23 PM
^^ You make a compelling arguement in favor of older cars, while still pointing out there flaws compared to modern cars. Great post! :thumbsup:

Jesda
01-03-07, 02:10 AM
Anyone see the latest issue of Car and Driver? Their judging criteria, as usual, were pretty screwy, but the data was unmistakable. The LS460, despite its 8-speed transmission and new 4.6L V8, was the slowest, worst-handling car of the bunch (S-class, 7-series, XJ, A8) and had the smallest trunk. It wasn't the cheapest, either, nor the most stylish.

The written review praised the LS for one thing: Rear passenger comfort and convenience.

I suppose, then, that Lexus has relegated its top-shelf sedan to being a top-end taxi -- a limousine for folks who can't afford a Rolls Royce. I'll post the data when I get a chance.

At least the Fleetwood Brougham had beauty, power, and grace.

Jesda
01-03-07, 02:50 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12081/2006-jaguar-super-v-8-vs-2007-mercedes-benz-s550-vs-2006-audi-a8l-quattro-vs-2007-lexus-ls460l-vs-2006-bmw-750li.html

Lord Cadillac
01-03-07, 11:09 AM
I don't see why a true luxury vehicle needs to be the fastest or the best handling but it's definitely interesting how the LS had the worst brakes. The trunk is probably big enough... The Fleetwood Brougham was much slower, had worse brakes and surely handled much worse - but I loved it - and it wasn't all about beauty and grace - it was about the comfort for myself and my passengers...

AznPrydeRegalRyde
01-03-07, 08:39 PM
I don't see why a true luxury vehicle needs to be the fastest or the best handling but it's definitely interesting how the LS had the worst brakes. The trunk is probably big enough... The Fleetwood Brougham was much slower, had worse brakes and surely handled much worse - but I loved it - and it wasn't all about beauty and grace - it was about the comfort for myself and my passengers...While I agree with what you siad, let me play devils advocate. A car that handles poorly can be a safety hazard in the event that you need to change langs quick, or dodge the oncoming drunk driver.
But even forgetting that, theres no excuse for a car of that cost to have poor braking.

Jesda
01-03-07, 09:42 PM
I don't see why a true luxury vehicle needs to be the fastest or the best handling

Its simply what the newer generation of luxury buyers want. The only exception I can think of are luxury SUVs.

Lord Cadillac
01-03-07, 09:48 PM
While I agree with what you siad, let me play devils advocate. A car that handles poorly can be a safety hazard in the event that you need to change langs quick, or dodge the oncoming drunk driver.
But even forgetting that, theres no excuse for a car of that cost to have poor braking.

The LS460L doesn't handle poorly. It just doesn't handle as well as the stiff riding cars in it's class.. ;)

Lord Cadillac
01-03-07, 09:49 PM
Its simply what the newer generation of luxury buyers want. The only exception I can think of are luxury SUVs.

You're absolutely right.. It's a new breed out there...

90Brougham350
01-04-07, 10:37 AM
You're absolutely right.. It's a new breed out there...

Sad but true, Chad and I talk about this one often enough, how we're so much the minority with our desire for vehicles that aren't BMWs or BMW-wannabes. I think I remember someone saying, "Performance; it's the new luxury."

Lord Cadillac
01-04-07, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I feel the same way. Why does luxury have to mean performance? Can't luxury be more luxurious than high performing? It just doesn't make sense to me.. And while there are already so many high-performance luxury vehicles - do they ALL have to be that way?

No. Lexus LS460.

If you want a luxury car that performs well, than it's mainly for you (the driver) and not so much your passengers.. Who enjoys ripping around corners and excellerating past other vehicles more than the driver of the vehicle? No one. I think Lexus is going to have an entire market (though it maybe small) - all to themselves.. Who's to say they're doing anything wrong?

Once the Town Car is gone, people are going to be buying used LS430s to replace them...

Blackout
01-04-07, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way. Why does luxury have to mean performance? Can't luxury be more luxurious than high performing? It just doesn't make sense to me.. And while there are already so many high-performance luxury vehicles - do they ALL have to be that way?

No. Lexus LS460.

If you want a luxury car that performs well, than it's mainly for you (the driver) and not so much your passengers.. Who enjoys ripping around corners and excellerating past other vehicles more than the driver of the vehicle? No one. I think Lexus is going to have an entire market (though it maybe small) - all to themselves.. Who's to say they're doing anything wrong?

Once the Town Car is gone, people are going to be buying used LS430s to replace them...That's the same way I feel. Why does everything that is made today have to be a great performance vehicle at the sametime? What made the luxury car segment turn into the luxury high performance car segment for every vehicle made? If you want a high performance luxury car then buy a V series, M series, AMG series, or Lexus' new F series. If you want luxury but without the oomph then go without the performance series from these brands. When I'm sitting in the back seat of my LS460 L with my feet up and getting my massage on while watching a DVD with my wireless headphones and my seat blowing cool air up my butt while doing some home work on the wood table in the back seat the last thing on my mind is how the car performs on the skidpad or how fast it runs through the 1/4 mile.

Lord Cadillac
01-04-07, 01:18 PM
When I'm sitting in the back seat of my LS460 L with my feet up and getting my massage on while watching a DVD with my wireless headphones and my seat blowing cool air up my butt while doing some home work on the wood table in the back seat the last thing on my mind is how the car performs on the skidpad or how fast it runs through the 1/4 mile.

He gets it!

Do you want to be shaken all over the place by a stiff suspension as well? I think not... I want to feel like I'm riding on glass...

When I was test driving the BMW 750 a few months ago, I felt myself drive over a worm.

Blackout
01-04-07, 04:23 PM
He gets it!

Do you want to be shaken all over the place by a stiff suspension as well? I think not... I want to feel like I'm riding on glass...

When I was test driving the BMW 750 a few months ago, I felt myself drive over a worm.Damn. Does the 750 really have that stiff of a suspension?

Lord Cadillac
01-04-07, 04:33 PM
Damn. Does the 750 really have that stiff of a suspension?

Man, you really made me laugh.:duck:hehe.. No. :sneaky:

90Brougham350
01-04-07, 10:02 PM
It's a BMW, I wouldn't doubt it.....

Jesda
01-05-07, 01:37 AM

This is true. But the majority of people who want that from a luxury car are near death. The rest can afford a Bentley.

Lord Cadillac
01-05-07, 12:56 PM
This is true. But the majority of people who want that from a luxury car are near death. The rest can afford a Bentley.
Right again, my friend... We (us old fashioned Caddy people) are a dying breed. :(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-05-07, 10:47 PM
Sad but true, Chad and I talk about this one often enough, how we're so much the minority with our desire for vehicles that aren't BMWs or BMW-wannabes. I think I remember someone saying, "Performance; it's the new luxury."

Actually Brian, my mind has been changed a tad. After driving plenty of cars that handle like an 18 wheeler and make you feel like you're driving on glass. I've started to like the cars that can handle and still be able to ride smoothly more. I don't anymore like to feel like I'm the captain of the USS Nimitz when I'm trying to navigate (no pun intended) through busy city streets. I like cars with good steering feel, good feedback, yet I still like to ride in smooth, leather lined comfort. I want a car that's fun to drive down a nice curvy road (that road we drove down is the example in my mind) and yet is still comfortable and smooth for the 3 passengers I usually carry when I'm out with my buddies. I like cars that are fun to drive, yet comfortable for all. Some examples that come to mind are the Regal GS, GTP, STS, Aurora, Riviera, Continental. None of these cars I mentioned are like the typical american luxury cars of yesteryear. To be honest, I like looking at and riding in those more than I like driving them.

faster
01-06-07, 07:31 PM
I agree with Lord Cadillac.

[QUOTE] Right again, my friend... We (us old fashioned Caddy people) are a dying breed.

I want soft, make that very soft ride and I want soft, make that very soft seats. I don't want this Euro hard ride with the park bech hard seats. This is my land yacht and that's the way I want it. My 67 Deville is soft and so quiet that my Dad got out of it one day and when we got in his at that time new 1990 Lincoln Town Car (Signature Series) he thought something was wrong with it and that car was quiet but my Deville had less road noise.
Give me soft, big and heavy. If I want to go fast I drive my Buick Turbo or GS. Actually the GS is soft riding by todays standards. My 95 Fleetwood could be my last newer car. Our 04 DHS is okay but I can't develop and attachment for the car like I want to, it is just too generic. My wife had her way she would drive the 67 Deville. I can't get her out of my 95 Fleetwood if she is not here, it is not here.

Mikey

Lord Cadillac
02-07-07, 03:16 AM
I don't see why a true luxury vehicle needs to be the fastest or the best handling but it's definitely interesting how the LS had the worst brakes. The trunk is probably big enough... The Fleetwood Brougham was much slower, had worse brakes and surely handled much worse - but I loved it - and it wasn't all about beauty and grace - it was about the comfort for myself and my passengers...

It's kinda scary that one can mention how badly a Lexus LS460 stops from 60 miles per hour but it takes the DTS 9 feet more and even 14 feet more than a Toyota Avalon...

RJ_W
02-12-07, 08:19 AM
It's kind of scary to me that the administrator here seems to praise everything none Caddy. Oscillating vents, now there is a reason to by an import if I ever heard one. The 8 speed auto is good as long as it doesn't add too much weight, but is already a dinosaur as GM is almost ready to release a CVT capable of handling up to 550 Ft Lbs of torque, but is roughly the size of an old t-400 but weighs less. Toyota has had record recalls three straight years now, Lexus isn't imune to the 'build more in a hurry so we can be number one syndrome'.:tisk:

Blackout
02-13-07, 06:20 AM
It's kind of scary to me that the administrator here seems to praise everything none Caddy. Oscillating vents, now there is a reason to by an import if I ever heard one. The 8 speed auto is good as long as it doesn't add too much weight, but is already a dinosaur as GM is almost ready to release a CVT capable of handling up to 550 Ft Lbs of torque, but is roughly the size of an old t-400 but weighs less. Toyota has had record recalls three straight years now, Lexus isn't imune to the 'build more in a hurry so we can be number one syndrome'.:tisk:Wow! Some of you guys sound more and more stupid as time goes on here. It's amazing that Sal can actually like something other than Cadillac. And here I thought Cadillac was the only car company on earth that can make a decent car. Geez......what was I thinking!:bigroll:

Lord Cadillac
02-13-07, 06:49 AM
Really! Right, Randy. I'm what you call an "unbiased Cadillac enthusiast". I don't simply love Cadillac because I'm supposed to or because the people I grew up with loved Cadillacs. You keep playing "follow the leader" while I come up with my own opinions from my own time spent on research.

RJ_W
02-13-07, 07:51 AM
Really! Right, Randy.

Jeez what took you so long? I had to almost post a pic.:bigroll:
Good thing I emailed somebody and told them so you could figure it out.:thumbsup:
Well. I'm going to check in again in a few months, I'll try to make it harder next time.:highfive:

Lord Cadillac
02-13-07, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the email but to each his own. Have a great day...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-07, 10:08 AM
That was stupid...insulting the founder of our club by questioning his Cadillac loyalty. I can see where you're coming from Sal, I love Cadillacs too, but that doesn't mean we have to hate or ignore every other type of car out there too. I consider us pretty open minded, as I do LUV~Caddys, but I'm open to other cars out there too. Heck, my next car's gonna be a Buick! I may not always own Cadillacs, but I still love the brand and nameplate!

Blackout
02-13-07, 06:22 PM
Jeez what took you so long? I had to almost post a pic.:bigroll:
Good thing I emailed somebody and told them so you could figure it out.:thumbsup:
Well. I'm going to check in again in a few months, I'll try to make it harder next time.:highfive:Is this some sorta cryptic message because I've read it about 10 times and it made less sense every time I re-read it

EDIT: Hey Sal. I have a question for ya......how many times are ya going to change your screen name!? lol

Lord Cadillac
02-13-07, 06:37 PM
About the screen name, I don't know.. I just get itchy to change my alias every now and then. I don't know why............ :p

Blackout
02-13-07, 06:42 PM
About the screen name, I don't know.. I just get itchy to change my alias every now and then. I don't know why............ :plol. It's nice to be the boss. Come and go and do whatever you want:thumbsup:

1SICKLEX
02-15-07, 11:53 PM
About the screen name, I don't know.. I just get itchy to change my alias every now and then. I don't know why............ :p
Bows down:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:: worship:
What up Sal. I opened an invitation to Caddy owners in the SE forum.

As for the LS, it is magnificent, floored me. The first LS I can see myself in, the styling before did nothing for me.

I do also agree with some of the statements that not every car needs to ride like a 911. I think the magazine whoring does this, they continue to just push and love sporty cars and think non sporty cars are crap. This thinking has moved from Europe to our magazines even more.

Rarely has there been a comparison where they ARE NOT looking for the sportiest ride.

Lord Cadillac
02-16-07, 04:26 AM
lol. It's nice to be the boss. Come and go and do whatever you want:thumbsup:

Yeah, it IS pretty awesome. :p You want a name change or something? :D

Bows down:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:: worship:
What up Sal. I opened an invitation to Caddy owners in the SE forum.

As for the LS, it is magnificent, floored me. The first LS I can see myself in, the styling before did nothing for me.

I do also agree with some of the statements that not every car needs to ride like a 911. I think the magazine whoring does this, they continue to just push and love sporty cars and think non sporty cars are crap. This thinking has moved from Europe to our magazines even more.

Rarely has there been a comparison where they ARE NOT looking for the sportiest ride.

You're right. Sporty vehicles are nice, but there is a BIG place in my heart of the old Fleetwood Talisman and Lincoln Continental Town Car.. Those handled like ass. :)

Thank you for the link! Not sure where it is, but.. Maybe we should have a Lexus/Cadillac meet in Orlando or something...

1SICKLEX
02-17-07, 12:57 AM
Yeah, it IS pretty awesome. :p You want a name change or something? :D

You're right. Sporty vehicles are nice, but there is a BIG place in my heart of the old Fleetwood Talisman and Lincoln Continental Town Car.. Those handled like ass. :)

Thank you for the link! Not sure where it is, but.. Maybe we should have a Lexus/Cadillac meet in Orlando or something...
Your in Orlando? We have a meet on March 9/10..I may drive down from Atlanta.....

Sorry for the hijack

Lord Cadillac
02-17-07, 03:51 AM
It's okay. I'm in West Palm Beach, actually.. About 2.5 hours South of Orlando..