: radiator or head gasket????????

big_bitty
08-07-06, 08:25 PM
to start off, hi i am brian, yes i am new to the forum, but not to cars, i am looking at purchasing a 93 eldorado with the 4.6 n* in it, the problem is when i test drove it it overheated after 3 miles. i would have guessed it to be a sticky thermostat, but with the stat out it still gets warm, the radiator gets hotter on one side than the other 2, it pushes out the cap like a head gasket though, which should i be looking into, the gasket or the radiator????? oh yeah it has 106k on it

CadillacSTS42005
08-07-06, 09:29 PM
either way RUN. if its overheated after only 3 miles its probably overheated many times in which case theres probably already damage to the head gaskets and if thats the case your looking at about 3-5k for them to be replaced.

zonie77
08-07-06, 10:22 PM
If it's really, really, really cheap...and you can do the head gaskets yourself, it may be worth considering. The head gaskets are a MAJOR job. Probably 50-60 hours at home. Nothing that a decent mechanic can't do at home, just a lot of stuff to do. Shops charge $3000 and up.

Look at the tech tips section...N* head gasket repair and you'll get an idea what's involved.

How much are they asking for it?

Ranger
08-07-06, 10:53 PM
There are many posibilities to consider before the head gasket, but if it is overheating in 3 miles, I'd walk. To many fish in the sea.

big_bitty
08-07-06, 11:34 PM
its 2k and the only thing keeping it off of the excellent list is the drivers side seat

mountain14er
08-08-06, 12:04 AM
Instead of messing around too long, spend the $80 or whatever and have a mechanic check it, making sure he checks the compression and does a block test to see if there are combustions gases in the coolant. Also use an infrared thermometer to get real readings off the radiator to see just how big the temperature difference is. And really, if you buy it for two grand and then have to do head gaskets, it won't seem like a deal at all (believe me I know).

big_bitty
08-08-06, 12:08 AM
seeing how i have a certified mechanic for an uncle, i can forget the $80 fee for the check, and if it is the headgaskets, i do plan on doing them myself, but the car will be bought for less!! this i already know, but it is a n* eldorado and i think it will be well worth it

zonie77
08-08-06, 01:29 AM
As I said, check out what's involved and take your time. Plenty of guys on the forums have done them.

big_bitty
08-08-06, 03:55 PM
i gave up on the eldorado, but the same guy has a 91 seville with the 4.9 that i am considering now

CadillacSTS42005
08-08-06, 08:04 PM
whyd you give up?

if your goin seville get a 92-97 they are much better designed and the 92 recieved MANY awards

big_bitty
09-17-06, 09:38 PM
back with the eldorado, i am getting it in 2 weeks, but like i posted earlier, it was alot cheaper than 2k, like half!!!!!!!!! so yes i will be tearing down a caddy in the near future

zonie77
09-17-06, 09:55 PM
You have a couple of weeks to get ready. The head gasket repair thread in tech tips gives you a list of tools and some parts. There were a couple of threads that listed all the parts and the part numbers.

I suggest changing a lot of the gaskets as they are 10 yrs old and even though they are reuseable they are not as flexible as new. You're saving potential problems to throw mostly new gaskets in.

big_bitty
09-17-06, 10:10 PM
actually i found another n* with 100k on it and the drivers side seat to make it excellent condition for 1k!!!!!!!!!! so yes i am tearing into the eldorado, but with another new motor!!

white97deville
09-18-06, 12:58 AM
actually i found another n* with 100k on it and the drivers side seat to make it excellent condition for 1k!!!!!!!!!! so yes i am tearing into the eldorado, but with another new motor!!

You still may wish to consider new gaskets/Timeserting/Headgaskets before installing the new (with 100,000 miles) engine. It is a lot of work to have to do again.

zonie77
09-18-06, 01:54 AM
If it's an engine with 100,000 miles it's not "new".

White97deville's advice is right on...do the timeserts whichever engine you use. Too big a chance of a 8+ yr old aluminum engine having gasket problems.

big_bitty
09-18-06, 08:20 PM

i understand your point, but where in that phrase ^^^^ did i say "new"???????

big_bitty
09-18-06, 08:22 PM
nevermind, i now see it, <<<<<<<<< dumb ass

zonie77
09-19-06, 11:52 AM
No problem... I tend to use the "new to me" form of new a lot.

Another thing that happens is responding to someone and another post gets in between. You can accidentally insult someone because they think you answered them and you were answering a different post.

big_bitty
09-19-06, 11:50 PM
what would the chances of me getting this eldo, fixing it to keep and something else go wrong? i dont mind to work on cars, but when i am doing it all the time (to the point it is a money pit) i dont like it, see what i am saying?????

zonie77
09-20-06, 12:27 AM
If I could give you an accurate answer to that I could be rich!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows? Sometimes a nice clean car will become a lemon. Sometimes you fix a major problem and you have a great car and no more problems for years. You pay your money and takes your chances.

I don't think you'll get hurt on this one. Assuming you get a used timesert kit and resell it you should have $500 or so in the engine. Your in the car for $1500 and a couple weeks work. Not likely to lose much on it. It should be worth over $3000.

white97deville
09-20-06, 12:58 AM
Zonie summed it all up nicely. You never know what you will find as you go about the business of replacing your headgaskets/engine and surely you will find a few small things but you already know that when you buy a used car needing some work. Just try to address all of the problems at the same time because it is much easier to work on this car without the engine/cradle in it.