: guess what guys. time to get screwed. . . .again

pimpin88
08-07-06, 01:42 PM
My Way News - Major Alaskan Oil Field Shutting Down (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060807/D8JBAG9G0.html)

:rant2: :mad: :helpless: :nono: :bomb: :ripped:
this is just ridiculous. and of course the other oil companies are going to see this and raise their prices for some bs reason.

good thing im fixing up my geo. i cant take it anymore.:alchi: especially while im in school and not working. maybe my friends and i will figure out some genius system while we are at kettering (gmi).

:gun2: :gungrin: :gun: oil companies :brutal: :blasted: :mob:

Elvis
08-07-06, 02:32 PM
They say it's 8% of our daily consumption. That's a huge hit. I can understand a spike in prices this time, but I can guarantee you that it will take over a month for the prices to go back down after they patch the leak.

One day within the past couple weeks the oil prices spiked based on the long-term hurricane forecast. Something that didn't even exist yet.

UGOTIT
08-07-06, 03:53 PM
The gas prices are 3.09 here in Michigan ,it's getting old paying these prices!

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
08-07-06, 04:13 PM
Prices in the UK are much higher than the USA, as you probably know.

But what I hate is some event (eg this) causes prices to spike by say 10% and then after a while they drop maybe 6%. Then within a few months they're back up for no reason. And of course, there's no outcry that time because we've been paying that before so it's not as much as a shock...

95RON over here (your regular pump gas) is about $5.50 per US gallon
97/98RON (the good stuff which is what my cars get) is $5.90 per US gallon.

UGOTIT
08-07-06, 04:28 PM
Dang.....I will not complain about our prices anymore,thats crazy.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
08-07-06, 04:38 PM
Well, one thing us UK peeps don't realise when we complain your gas is so much cheaper than ours is that we tend to cover 12,000 miles a year. You guys I'm sure do much more. Having said that our traffic tends to be heavier as the roads are crowded so we do get worse mileage.
Some people do as much as maybe 24,000 but that's normally work related, some people do as little as 5,000 (sometimes only 3,000!).

I do 12,000 a year so it costs me around $350 in gas a month in the STS and the IROC. If I drove your average european car (ie Ford Focus or similar) it would cost around $200 a month, if I had a diesel Focus maybe $155.

I was just curious if you guys saw prices going up due to events like this and then only dropping *some* of the gain after the event is over, and then mysteriously creeping up for no real reason?

Elvis
08-07-06, 05:12 PM
I remember bitching about $1.29.

I remember my father bitching about .59

pimpin88
08-07-06, 05:45 PM
They say it's 8% of our daily consumption. That's a huge hit. I can understand a spike in prices this time, but I can guarantee you that it will take over a month for the prices to go back down after they patch the leak.

One day within the past couple weeks the oil prices spiked based on the long-term hurricane forecast. Something that didn't even exist yet.

see, the problem is that the prices wont go down even after production is back to normal. ive seen 3.19 to 3.25 here in flint, and it sucks when i go to fill up my roadmaster and i have an empty tank. at 3.25 it costs me over 80 dollars. and its bad right now because i dont have a job. once i start my co-op im going to be driving 100 miles per day. so hopefully i can get my geo going before then. otherwise its gonna be like 100 dollars per week for gas. JUST for going to work!

kali_cts03
08-07-06, 07:12 PM
Out here in SoCal it's around $3.30 as of right now....

I know what you're saying about the UK and Europe in general, but public transportation is so much better there, I lived in Europe for a bunch of years so I remember the prices back then were big as well, especially to what people make, but public trans is what I used all the time :mad: .... And most people there use public transportaion not like in the states here..... BTW, public tranportaion in SoCal is a joke so there is no other way but to drive everyday.... for me it's over 60 miles to and from work each day..... I know others have it worse, but figured I share mine as well! :bigroll:

Caddyshack100
08-07-06, 09:04 PM
Public transit in Europe is for certain better than over here in N. America, BUT it is not a panacea. Europe is way smaller than N. America and people over here will not stand for bunching people together the way the cities do in Europe. I am not knocking the European way of doing things, but some things European do not work very well over here. Public Transit is one of them. I too have a long drive only its over 100 miles and I plan on moving further from work to over 130 miles. I would rather pay 5.00 a gallon and be stuck in traffic for hours, rather than take a bus or subway. The only reason that gas is expensive in Europe is that they tax the hell out of it, here in Ontario gas is 120 a liter, 47 percent of that is tax. Remove the outrageous taxes on fuel and public transit does not come close. Even in the States, ask how much tax is on the fuel and then see that the real cost is not that bad.

SpeedyArizona
08-07-06, 09:13 PM
Most stations are hoovering around $2.98. The one thing that amazes me is when someone drives out of their way to save 1 or 2 cents...

CaddyCrisis
08-07-06, 09:18 PM
Think a gallon of gas is expensive? - ebaumsworld.com (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/gasischeap.html)

Check this out!

Rolex
08-07-06, 09:29 PM
Last week in San Diego gas was as high as $3.49 a gallon [of regular]. I hope not to see prices that high here in AR, but with crude going up $10 a barrell today I say it is inevitable. This is going to put a hurt on us all.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
08-08-06, 03:59 AM
Public transport here is more plantiful than in the US, but it doesn't go everywhere and it's not reliable and frankly, can be downright unpleasant.

I work in London so public transport here is about as plentiful as it gets.
However, during rushour on teh subway everyone is standing and packed in real close. Generally with your face in some guys armpit.
It costs $10 for a return ticket that is a 16 mile round trip.

In the STS, in rush hour traffic (think New York or LA) I get 16mpg (that's UK gallons) and that costs me a litte over $8.

Over here tax represnets 80% of the fuel cost and the enviromentalists want the goverment to increase it to force people out of their cars. They also want the annual road tax fee (which is power vehicle) raised from just over $300 to over $3,200 for gas guzzlers. And a gas guzzler over here is a much more general term than over there. People consider a 2.0L car here to be juicy... A 3.8L V6 is considered absolutely massive over here.

Elvis
08-08-06, 09:49 AM
This is another case of the oil companies testing the market to see what the ceiling is.

Gas prices in the U.S. have been extremely low for the past 15 years. Now the oil companies have several excuses to bring the cost back in line with what the consumer price index has done over the same period of time.

But nobody will ever be able to convince me that their production, refining and delivery costs have gone up that much. The oil companies' profits should remain in line with what they've been over the same period of time, with a very moderate increase every year. Instead, they've been setting records for the past 18 months.

BP knew this pipeline was suspect, and they've probably known it for more than a couple of years. They haven't tested it since 1992. Their last quarterly earnings set a record for them, so they decided to spend a little money checking out the pipeline. Lo and behold they found what they were looking for--another reason to limit supply and jack up prices.

Ordinarily I'm a free-market conservative. But this is gouging, plain and simple. I'm not being hurt by it that much because I don't drive but about 800 miles per month.

It's time for the government to step in. We need a reduction in the per-gallon gas tax, and the difference needs to be paid by the oil companies out of those multi-billion dollar RECORD profits they're showing. This is ridiculous.

I'm crossing over to the dark side.

ewill3rd
08-08-06, 12:14 PM
The reason gas prices are so high (or so I hear) is a supply and demand issue. Many of you have stated it in your posts above. If you drive 100-200 miles a day then you have to buy gas, no matter what it costs. No one seems to factor the price of gas into the equation of driving to work because it's been a small factor in the past. Seems to me it gets more important all the time. I know it's not feasible for everyone but for me... I work 4 miles from my house and limit my trips. I have never done the math but it seems to me the cost of driving a long way to work (gas, tires, oil changes, etc.) makes up easily for any increase in wages that you get by working someplace the wages are better.
We have a couple guys that live many miles from here and sit in traffic every day, sometimes I think they could bag groceries at the corner market by their house and end up with the same amount of money at the end of the month.

Just something to think about.