: Bad ( burning? ) Smell

Odin8
08-07-06, 11:47 AM
Alright, so I know from time to time I'd get a pretty bad sulphur smell from my cat, but if I stuck to a certain brand of gas I could usually get rid of it completely. Now I'm being told, from the people I'm blowing the doors off of, that when I'm WOT, my car lets out a horrible smell, as if something is burning. This can't be good. No reports of black smoke so far. Ideas? This one is worrying me...

dkozloski
08-07-06, 12:21 PM
It sounds to me like you have a "Bad Ass" car. See a proctologist or a dietician.

Odin8
08-07-06, 12:49 PM
Well shoot, I already know my car is bad ass, tell me something I don't know. :thumbsup:

I'm also hoping to put off the proctologist for another 30 or so years.

Ranger
08-07-06, 01:09 PM
Sulfer smell is also associated with a rich fuel condition. Check the FPR.

Odin8
08-07-06, 01:18 PM
FPR has already been replaced. The smell in question here isn't sulfur, but another pretty harsh smell that smells like burning...so I'm just wondering what could be burning up, or making a smell like that. I'm not getting black smoke, which would point towards burning oil, so I don't really have a clue what could be going on. Just throwing it out there and being open for ideas. Usually a burning smell isn't good, and this one is kinda bothering me.

blunted
08-07-06, 01:21 PM
It could possibly be oil dripping onto your exhaust, giving that nasty smell when you get heavy on the pedal. I've been dealing with this for over a year... hate blowing the doors off someone and then giving them the satisfaction to see the Eldo smoking/smelling like crap.

dkozloski
08-08-06, 12:09 AM
It doesn't take very much oil coming out the exhaust to make a pretty bad smell, especially if you are using a synthetic. The smell is kind of sweet but not as pronounced as antifreeze. Oil smoke from the exhaust is blue.

Odin8
08-08-06, 08:04 AM
I switched over to synthetic, and I never got any leaking, so I kept it. If I'm getting even a small amount of oil out the exhaust, what does that mean?

dkozloski
08-08-06, 12:31 PM
A small amount of oil out the exhaust means that the upper end of your engine is being properly lubricated.