: Oil Level Sensor

Odin8
08-06-06, 01:50 PM
I had a bum oil level sensor for a while, that would trigger a "check oil level" message on my dash even when my oil level was good. I just recently replaced it myself with one I ordered off of Rock Auto. Since then I haven't gotten a message on my dash, and I thought the problem was fixed. I regularly check my oil anyways, since I don't like to trust the sensor, and today I found out it was almost 3 quarts low of the full level on the dipstick. How low is the oil supposed to get before it triggers the message on the dash? Just wondering...dunno if it didn't get low enough or if my new sensor isn't working...

1997seville
08-06-06, 03:16 PM
The light should come on when you are 2 quarts low.

Odin8
08-07-06, 12:21 PM
On the dipstick, it is about 7 quarts, maybe 7.5 to right around the add line and 8 quarts to the full line, correct? When you say 2 quarts low, I'm assuming 2 quarts low from the add line and not the full line.

1997seville
08-07-06, 04:11 PM
I think that 2 quarts low from the full line will turn the light on. 1 quart below the add line will turn the light on if I remember correctly. If you read the tech tips section, it says that 8 quarts will put the oil at the full line, but that is actually overfull. 7.5 will put it in the middle of the hashed area.

Ranger
08-07-06, 09:46 PM
The light will come on just after the oil level drops off the dipstick which is 2 qts. low.