: Name brands

SpeedyArizona
08-05-06, 11:03 PM
Scenario:

Was spending the day with a female friend who is obsessed with name brands (yes...I know):rolleyes: . She was wearing these uber-expensive Gucci sunglasses that I really see no appeal in. I stopped at the 7/11 for gas. Anyway, we walked inside and saw the same sunglasses for $14! I showed her and immediately came this response "Those sunglasses are nothing like mine:bigroll: ". They looked the same and yet she refused to admit that her expensive sunglasses looked anything like these cheapos:thepan: ! So my question is...anyone here obsessed with brand names?

pimpin88
08-05-06, 11:20 PM
YES!!!! somebody else that is like me. lol. my girlfriend is insane. she is trying to get me to buy designer jeans, and i said no way in hell am i going to spend $80 on a pair of jeans, when the $8 pair i am wearing works just fine.

and the designer jeans wont last as long anyways. she thinks they will though. but they are very thin, and i have had my $8 jeans for 5 years. guess what. they still look fine. lol.

SpeedyArizona
08-05-06, 11:43 PM
YES!!!! somebody else that is like me. lol. my girlfriend is insane. she is trying to get me to buy designer jeans, and i said no way in hell am i going to spend $80 on a pair of jeans, when the $8 pair i am wearing works just fine.

It amazes me that my girlfriend will pay $100 for a pair of jeans with holes in them! I wear a pair of $10 Wranglers and they have no holes! I offered to put holes in her jeans myself and she can pay me $90 but that didn't go over too well:D!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-06, 12:03 AM
I like brand name things, they make me feel valulable :D

But seriously, I always liked things that are the best of their fields. Cadillac, Lincoln and Mercedes Benz for automobiles, Dell Computers, Sony TV's, etc etc. I figure if you're gonna spend the money on an item, why half ass it? Go for the best thing out there and enjoy it while you can.

BTW, paying any more then $20 for jeans is asinine. Old Navy jeans are the best value, and are just as good as the Gucci or any other designer jeans.

caddydaddy
08-06-06, 12:15 AM
I pay name brand for auto parts. My Cadillacs enjoy as many AC Delco parts as they can! I'm sick of having to replace no-name parts after a year because they crap out!
I still don't understand how the original starter on my '94 Deville lasted 101,000 miles and 10 years, but the rebuilt "no-name" starter barely lasted a year! WTF????

SpeedyArizona
08-06-06, 12:36 AM
BTW, paying any more then $20 for jeans is asinine. Old Navy jeans are the best value, and are just as good as the Gucci or any other designer jeans.

I was talking more along the line of clothing, accessories, etc. I completely understand buying name-brand merchandise because it'll last longer and has a good warranty but I can't understand paying X amount of money for something when you can get the same quality item for less.

If I was paying $2600 for a Sony television vs paying $1200 for a no-name one, that's what I call a justifiable expense. The Sony will last twice as long, have a better warranty, and is just all-around a much better machine.

There are only 3 clothing items I believe you should not skimp on:
1) a good suit
2) a good watch
3) a good pair of shoes

All of these items go along with the phrase "You get what you pay for". A few hundred dollars for brand name sunglasses that will last the same amount of time as a cheap $14 pair is ridiculous!

gary88
08-06-06, 12:39 AM
I know a bunch of people obsessed with name brands. They even put thier logos on thier myspace and such as if they're being paid to advertise for them :helpless:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-06, 12:48 AM
They even put thier logos on thier myspace and such as if they're being paid to advertise for them :helpless:

Well in that case, Lincoln is paying me a good chunk of change to have that picture of that '77 Town Car as the backround pic on my site :D

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
08-06-06, 06:10 AM
I used to be into designer brands but not nowadays.
I do have a top watch, I do buy good shoes and I have one top suit for meeting clients at work.
Beyond that I buy acerage price stuff. I don't buy real cheap as quality tends to drop off, but I also won't pay a premium for designer brand names.

ILuvCaddies: Dude, a DELL, seriously? A maker of $299 mahines is not high end. You want to be buying a Mac. It might not have the latest overpriced graphcis card but it is designer and certainly better designed and built.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-06, 10:13 AM
ILuvCaddies: Dude, a DELL, seriously? A maker of $299 mahines is not high end. You want to be buying a Mac. It might not have the latest overpriced graphcis card but it is designer and certainly better designed and built.

True, but a Mac is a whole different ballpark. I meant top end PC's.

gary88
08-06-06, 12:10 PM
I stick with the Sony Vaio when it comes to computers. I have a VGNFS840/W notebook and haven't had a single problem with it in the 5 months i've had it so far :bouncy: I basically got it for free too. I used to have a PCG-K45, but I accidentally split the DC jack in half so I couldn't charge the battery anymore. I took it to Best Buy to get it fixed under warranty, and they ended up frying the motherboard! I had that laptop for over a year. I was not a very happy camper that day. :want:

1997seville
08-06-06, 04:27 PM
True, but a Mac is a whole different ballpark. I meant top end PC's.

Dude a Dell is not a top end PC. They are some of the cheapest mass produces machines out there. Just because they sell more than any other computer company does not make them the best. I would buy a HP, or a Sony Vio any day over a Dell. I build my own computers by the way, and have much less problems with mine then anyone I have known with a Dell. You would not beleive the amount of failures we have at work with our POS Dell's.

Adam
08-06-06, 05:12 PM
i like having some name brand stuff but not everything has to be. like i have a pair of DG sunglasses and a pair of Armani sunglasses (as well as their men's cologne) but thats about it. i wear G-Unit shirts and shorts or pants... well it just doesnt matter, usually G-Unit, Southpole, or Brooklyn Express. i have a few expensive suits (ok like 2) but thats about it. i drive a Cadillac and i wear some expensive things but thats just cause its nice to be able to afford them.

Destroyer
08-06-06, 05:48 PM
I only buy name brand stuff to wear when working (realtor). Nice shoes, shirt, khakis or dress pants, etc. For everyday life, you can usually find me in t shirts, jeans or sweats, no name brands unless they were on sale. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-06, 08:12 PM
Dude a Dell is not a top end PC. They are some of the cheapest mass produces machines out there. Just because they sell more than any other computer company does not make them the best. I would buy a HP, or a Sony Vio any day over a Dell. I build my own computers by the way, and have much less problems with mine then anyone I have known with a Dell. You would not beleive the amount of failures we have at work with our POS Dell's.

So is the Sony VAIO the "Cadillac of PC's"? I never thought much of HP or Compaq, they seem like pretty mainstream, boring computers to me. But then again, I know nothing about computers at all.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-06-06, 08:44 PM
Im not obsessed about brands , but i am brand loyal ....

Corona has proudly sponsored some of my greatest stunts .....

gdwriter
08-07-06, 12:31 AM
I'm with HardRockCamaro, I've used a Mac for 15+ years, and while not perfect, I'll keep buying them.

Like Stoney, I'm brand loyal on some things. Only I prefer Rolling Rock to Corona. Ketchup has to be Heinz, mustard has to be French's, and the soda has to be Diet Coke.

I have learned over time that it's worth the money to buy good shoes; cheap shoes will fall apart in no time, and I have several pairs that I've worn for years. I'll admit that I like Calvin Klein jeans, but it's because they fit me better than any other brand. Still, when I want name-brand clothes, I'll go to the huge outlet mall between Salem and Portland.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

dp102288
08-07-06, 04:06 PM
I have no sense of fashion or style so I jsut wear dark jeans and white t-shirts everywhere, everyday. The car gets most of my funds. (greedy Eldo)

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
08-07-06, 04:30 PM
Well, I wear a Breitling watch every day (for what it cost I'm, gonna get my moneys worth from it!) and my glasses/sunglasses are always designer, CK or Diesel or whatever.

I don't buy silly price jeans, I stick to Levis or Gap.
Shirts that I wear daily are normally YSL or something of that ilk.
Trainers wise I buy Nike and boots wise I buy Cat.

T-Shirts I don't care, I buy plain white or black ones from Gap or some other high strete store or some sort of car or USA themed ones.

I buy Apple computers only, I have an iPod not as a fashion accessory but because I believe it's the best, I buy top of the line cell phones, top of the line tv's and hi-fi (well, within reason, you can get well out of hand on those, but I have $3,000+ of B&W speakers).

Oh and I drive a Cadillac STS! <- That's what shows taste and the ability to think for myself!

LittleB
08-07-06, 06:37 PM
I like name brand things every once and a while, but I will be the first to admit that a $300 pair of sunglasses looks the same as a 20$ pair! I have friends that are VERY into name brands though. It's like a very expensive addition and I don't want to get too involved in it!

frey
08-07-06, 11:49 PM
I like the name brand stuff, but hate to pay the name brand prices.

I have 3 pair of Revo's, a couple pair of Oakley's and a pair of Maui Jim's, all purchased on eBay for a fraction of the retail price.

I've also done the cheapies you get at the carry-out or outlets, and there is no comparison. The cheapies need to be cheap so you can replace them every couple weeks after they break.

There's a lot to be said about brand name items. Sure they're more, but you're paying for better components, more advanced technology, R&D, marketing, etc....

It really comes down to a preference of function over preference. Sure the cheapie sunglasses function almost as well as the expensive ones, but I prefer a pair that is made by a reputable manufacturer who will stand behind the quality of their product.

If function was my priority, I would have probably bought a Ford Fusion instead of my CTS.

fpmesiIII
08-08-06, 12:14 AM
i dont mind spending more money for Express or Gap jeans because they look better on me than say Levi's or Wrangler. and I only buy these jeans when they are on sale, which brings the price down to around 20-30 bucks. Which isnt that bad for looking good.

I also dont mind spending a pretty penny on $10 pairs of socks. You may think I am crazy, but Thorlos last forever and they dont give blisters even in brand new shoes. I have about 8 pairs of these and they have outlasted the Hanes brand by a long shot. I also do a considerable amount of running so I know the joys of wearing a good sock.

Basically when It comes down to the purchase I look at what will last the longest have the greatest appeal/sentiment and justify the price compared the competitors and go from there.

Hey and what happened to my picture next to my name. I miss it :crying:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-06, 01:29 AM
If function was my priority, I would have probably bought a Ford Fusion instead of my CTS.

Exactly!! Why buy a Cadillac when a Caprice is practically the exact same? Because it's a Cadillac!

DopeStar 156
08-08-06, 03:25 AM
I actually wear designer pants every day....

davesdeville
08-08-06, 07:31 AM
I like brand name products, but only when I can get them at a decent price. Like my Cadillacs I got for a decent deal. My Rocawear shirt I have on cost me $11. The DaDa shoes I have on were about $35. Not much more than a comparable product would've been.

Benzilla
08-08-06, 05:33 PM
Its all about puting money in the right places, on some things I go cheap/midgrade, for everyday stuff I wear JCPenny tall t-shirts and khakis. they look OK, wear good and are reasonably priced. On accessories I like to go a little farther. Right now I'm wearing:

JCPenny tall t-shirt
JCPenny khakis
Elgin gold watch (I don't want to mess up anything really nice by wearing it all the time and hitting it on a wall or something)
18k gold cuban bracelet I bought on ebay
18k gold small neckchain I got as a "gift"
14k gold pinky ring with birthstone and small diamonds
white nike socks
silver zippo
Dada shoes with my name on them

Nothing really nice, but why wear nice stuff when your just working around the house or hanging out? When I wanna look nice I break out the Stacy Adams, Breoni and Armani.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-08-06, 06:20 PM
the only "designer" i wear is tommy hilfiger, not cause i think its the best or anything liek that, simply cause its so inexpensive to me, ive had shirts cost me 75 cents, brand new, 5 dollar 100% cotton polos, $12 all day for regular polos, 22 for some brand new jeans, 9.99 for some jeans that have been out 2 or 3 months, $2 for some boxers, and its all comfortable and at those prices, i can afford to wear em out quick.

of course around the house i floss a very very old pair of dickies shorts and hanes white tee's, the shorts are so old the material flows like a shirt, and if anyone wears dickies, they know how long it takes to get the material that way

of course i do have some going out clothes,some nice chinos, a few nice wovens. some botessini (read journeys hehe) shoes a fresh pair of white reeboks (buy two get one free, my cousin wanted the free pair so he paid half of my shoes so i got em for 20 bucks) but most of the stuff i get is discounted, even if its a discount off of the full price, recently i bought 420 dollars worth of clothes for around 100 bucks, most of it was fresh off the delivery truck

Zorb750
08-11-06, 05:36 AM
Scenario:

Was spending the day with a female friend who is obsessed with name brands (yes...I know):rolleyes: . She was wearing these uber-expensive Gucci sunglasses that I really see no appeal in. I stopped at the 7/11 for gas. Anyway, we walked inside and saw the same sunglasses for $14! I showed her and immediately came this response "Those sunglasses are nothing like mine:bigroll: ". They looked the same and yet she refused to admit that her expensive sunglasses looked anything like these cheapos:thepan: ! So my question is...anyone here obsessed with brand names?

I had a girlfriend at one point who absolutely despised the "all name" brands. A couple of years ago I was with her at a fairly formal party sort of thing and she pointed out this girl there who had all "logo" clothing. The best example cited by my girlfriend was the belt this girl was wearing, being "Gucci" and costing about $100. My girlfriend's belt, on the other hand, was a much less flashy, much more refined and elegant belt, of a "discretely elegant" design, with the conspicuous absense of the stylized "G" logo, which had actually cost somewhere in the ballpark of $280. I know, I was there when she bought it.

Names are Bullshit. I have several polo shirts, but not one from Ralph Lauren. I think I'd sooner go out in a T-Shirt than display that logo (indicative of a $65 shirt that is built no better than the $15 version at Kmart, and inferior to my $35 version coming from from Sears.)

Yes, I did pick up this attitude from her, but she makes a lot of sense with it. Are you going to pay me to wear your basic low quality t-shirt with your HUGE logo on the front and/or back of it (poke: Hilfiger)? Is my name Tommy? If my initial (first or last) "G" (poke: Gucci)? It's not, and even if it were, your clothing looks like sh!t, all flash no class.

Put a Yacht Master or Submariner next to some of these Gucci or similar watches. Which grabs the attention, while which one is actually worthy of it?

Jesda
08-11-06, 07:11 AM
Dell is like the Wal-Mart of computers. Good value for money, no originality and average quality at best. Maybe its more accurate to call Dell the Hyundai of computers?

I'm typing this on a Dell. :)

P-Funk
08-15-06, 03:11 PM
I buy name brand. But I don't pay full price. There is a difference in quality in some stuff but a lot of times, the difference is that the name brands actually inovate whereas the others just copy the name brand's latest things.

gdwriter
08-15-06, 06:48 PM
I took my niece and her boyfriend shopping at the nearby outlet mall last week and bought two Polo t-shirts for $20 at the Ralph Lauren store. I bought them less for the little horse and polo player logo than for the colors and the very soft cotton material. Minor indulgence for pretty cheap.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

Adam
08-15-06, 06:52 PM
I actually wear pants every day....

i hope so! :bigroll: haha :thumbsup: . i had to do it.

DopeStar 156
08-16-06, 03:28 AM
i hope so! :bigroll: haha :thumbsup: . i had to do it.

Actually......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/nopants.jpg

Bwahahahaha....