: help!! is my buick a goner?

pimpin88
08-05-06, 07:05 PM
so i was lookin underneath my 1992 buick roadmaster today (im at college in michigan, about 260 miles from home, with a full tank of gas) and i happened to look at the straps supporting my gas tank. it appears that where the straps bolt into another metal piece (the frame?) that they are pulling it off the rest of the car. its like the weld is being pulled apart.

im afraid that my gas tank is going to drop.

is my car done for, or what can i do to fix it?

pimpin88
08-05-06, 08:20 PM
alright, well, im going to attempt to save it. for now i just ran up to the hardware store and picked up two strap down tie thingys, and im going to strap them around the gas tank and the frame and tighten them down. hopefully that will work for now.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-05-06, 09:52 PM
Even if it does fall, it can just be bolted back in. (or atleast I'd assume) It should be no big deal.

pimpin88
08-05-06, 09:54 PM
thats the problem, its pulling the part off of the car that the bolt goes through

caddydaddy
08-05-06, 09:56 PM
I know the part you mean. That's strange that it's pulling off! I'm sure you could get someone to weld it up for you. A muffler shop might do it.

pimpin88
08-05-06, 10:17 PM
id be really scared welding by the gas tank though, and i think if i was to take the gas tank off, that it would really screw something else up

Eric Kahn
08-05-06, 11:07 PM
welding around the gas tank in a car is done all the time, just take it to a shop and have them weld in a piece of metal

caddydaddy
08-05-06, 11:11 PM
Unless there's a leak, it's perfectly safe to weld around it! Just don't weld ON it! :)

Spyder
08-06-06, 12:07 PM
Better to weld when its full than empty. Is it rusting out, is that why the piece is coming down? Michigan salt and snow I could see doing that... ...