: (Road Trip) Greetings from the Pioneer Auto Museum of Murdo, SD

Jesda
08-03-06, 02:44 PM
I found a high speed Internet terminal at the gift shop at the Pioneer Auto Museum. This place has EVERYTHING, including the 1960 amphicar, muscle cars, classics, tractors, and most of all... which I thought they'd never have... the Moon Motor Cars made in St Louis MO. Even the St Louis History Museum had nothing but articles and badges for Moon, no actual cars. I also saw a 1930 V16 Cadillac and Plymouth Superbird in person for the first time. Too many great cars to list in one paragraph.
Its in Murdo SD. You are officially required to come here at least once.

Next Stop: Wall Drug.

I just ate at "Al's Oasis", where they serve dinner on metal trays in a barn. Unfortunately, for lunch they just use dishes. I had a ground buffalo steak which pretty much rocked.

My brother's G20 has been getting 33mpg on 89 E10, and the weather, unlike the ice storm I hit coming through SD last year, has been outstanding. I dont even need the AC on.

Will post pics when I get to Washington/Oregon tonight or tomorrow.

ChicagoCTS32
08-03-06, 02:45 PM
Wall Drug... been there, done that. Hopefully I will NEVER go back again. :)

Patrick7997
08-03-06, 03:03 PM
Ahhh, the Pioneer Auto Museum...... (sigh)

Been in Murdo a half dozen times.... we used to stay at the Best Western there on our hunting trips.....

Did the museum one time, while it was raining.... have they improved the structure at all?? Last time I was in there, the rain was coming thru the roof, dripping on the cars.... not the greatest setup I ever saw.... they did have some nice cars, though....

For Kevin Kostner fans, that area in South Dakota is where they shot the movie "Dances With Wolves".

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-03-06, 09:21 PM
One of my friend Evan's life goals is to visit Wall Drug. I hear about it all the time, but I don't get the concept.

thebigjimsho
08-03-06, 11:00 PM
Wall Drug is the bomb! I got me a root beer float and a cowboy hat.

I remember driving through Murdo and seeing the Museum from the highway. But we were on our way to get our free ice water at Wall Drug and nothing was going to stop us. That was after touring the Badlands.

I don't remember my mileage heading west but coming back through New Mexico I was averaging 85mph and 27mpg in the V.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-04-06, 04:58 PM
hey jesda , hows your colon doing buddy ? get that ass gasket replaced from your thai spray fest ?

Elvis
08-05-06, 09:52 PM
Jesda's road trips remind me of that Pee Wee Herman movie where he was trying to find his bike.