: portability of engine, tranny, etc

mountain14er
08-03-06, 01:38 PM
Hi all,

After screwing around, thinking I could diagnose without tools, I finally took my 99 deville in to the dealer today and found out I've got a bad head gasket. My garage space is limited.

I've got a friend with a forklift and a place to leave the body of the car so I was wanting to pull the engine at his place and load it in my truck and then do the work in my garage. I'm wondering if this would be worth it or if I should just do the timesert, gasket replacing at his place. Thanks for any advice.

davesdeville
08-04-06, 08:14 PM
If you drop the whole powertrain, you should be able to load it in a truck pretty easily if the forklift is up to it.

zonie77
08-04-06, 10:17 PM
It would depend on how well equipped his garage is and how comfortable you are working there. It gets to be a long job so if you can take the cradle assembly to your house that might be more convenient. You aren't giving us enough data to make a good decision. If you want his help/company you might as well do it at his house.

You don't need a lot of space unless you have to pull the engine off the cradle to do the case seal or oil pan.

parts68
08-06-06, 09:15 PM
If youre thinking of loading the whole power train module on a flat bed trailer
and taking it home then it will work out great.
But if you need to unload it at your house it wont be easy.

mountain14er
08-07-06, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the input. The downsides to working at my friend's house is that it's over 40 minutes away and I'm not sure I could commandeer the garage. I'm thinking the best option is to borrow a small flatbed trailer, load the powertrain on to that and park that in my garage. Then I can take my time, and not have to deal with unloading it at my place.

What would you guess the powertrain weighs? 600 lbs or so or more like 1000?

white97deville
08-07-06, 11:42 PM
What would you guess the powertrain weighs? 600 lbs or so or more like 1000?

My guess would be around 1,000-1,100 for cradle and everything attached to it.

zonie77
08-08-06, 12:23 AM
My guess would be around 1,000-1,100 for cradle and everything attached to it.

I'd agree. The engine is about 450, trans 150, cradle has to be 150-200. Then add suspension and accessories so 1000-1100 sounds right.