: Harder than heck to start my

1stimecaddy
08-02-06, 09:48 PM
1999 Deville D'elegance. I purchased it about 3 months ago with about 90k miles on it. It ran purrrrrfect! Now after some time it will not start on the first try anymore. I have read thru several boards but I haven't found a definate cure for my problem. I can answer this question which I hope will help for a diagnosis of my problem. When I push the fuel pressure release valve on the fuel rail after the car has sat for a while nothing comes out.......gas or air. I have gone thru and replace a fuel filter, spark plugs.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Ranger
08-02-06, 10:41 PM
If you have no fuel pressure, as evidenced by no fuel when you press the schreader valve, then the fuel pressure is leaking down. The question is, is it the FPR, injector or the fuel pump check valve that is leaking. The FPR is easy to check. See the Tech Tips section. A fuel pressure guage will tell the tale on the pump. Get one on there and report back your fuel pressure. It should be 45-50 if I recall correctly.

Frost
08-03-06, 01:59 AM
I'd be willing to bet it's the FPR - just had to replace mine and I had identical symptoms to you ('97 Deville with 99K on the odo). Not very expensive and relatively straightforward.

1stimecaddy
08-03-06, 04:48 PM
Ok I got a wild hair up my ass this morning and replaced the FPR. The car is still doing the same hard starts. It is still NOT holding any fuel pressure in the rail after shut off. I did put a pressure tester on the fuel rail and the fuel pump is doing it's thing 45 lbs of pumping pressure. But as soon as the key is shut off the fuel pressure drops to zero. HELP

Thank-you

Ranger
08-03-06, 07:16 PM
Bad check valve in the fuel pump.

1stimecaddy
08-03-06, 10:11 PM
Ok what does this mean?? Can I replace the check valve or does it mean I have to replace the fuel pump?

Ranger
08-04-06, 10:37 AM
I believe that the check valve is in the pump, so you have to R & R the pump.