: I have high blood pressure

dp102288
08-02-06, 12:06 PM
Damn. So I have a couple of extra pounds. I am trying to excercise, but that isn't going well. My doctor put me on Atacand for it. He thinks it is working, my pressure dropped a few points. Other than that, I feel fine, have lots of energy, and my blood work came back very good. Cholestrol isn't even high. I do not eat a lot of junk either, and most food I eat is home cooked. Is their any remidies or other things any of you know about to help? WTF?!?!?!?!?

Lord Cadillac
08-02-06, 12:21 PM
Yes.
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product_info.php?products_id=592
Celery Seed Extract standardized to contain 85% 3NB (3-n-butylphthalide) will help... I'm not sure how taking it with the Atacand will work, however... Most doctors don't believe in herbal remedies - but they work...

EcSTSatic
08-02-06, 12:32 PM
Work on the exercise bit. It has many more benefits than just lowering blood pressure. Take it from a fifty-something person.:dumbbells:

It beats drugs too!!

Elvis
08-02-06, 01:36 PM
:yup:

30 minutes of cardio workout three times a week will drop you back to the normal range. My pressure isn't high and my weight is normal, but I'm amazed at how much better I feel when I get back into the routine every winter.

It will also take care of the extra pounds and might even lower your cholesterol (even though it's okay).

Frost
08-02-06, 02:38 PM
Cinnamon tablets, take 1 500mg tab twice daily. You should see a reduction in fasting sugar levels as well as reduced cholesterol numbers.

Please Note" This remedy is not equal to taking 2 or more Cinnamon Buns, dripping with sugar glazing and loaded up with a schmear or two of creamery fresh butter.

c5 rv
08-02-06, 08:19 PM
I had a BP discussion with my family doctor this week. Additional exercise, some weight loss, limiting salt, and home BP monitoring over the past 6 months didn't significantly lower my 140/100 BP. We agreed that I should start on a low dose of lisinopril. I've tended to have somewhat elevated BP over the years, but weight gain since my accident 6 years ago (and another six years of age) have pushed it up.

My doc said they are getting more and more aggressive at treating anything over 120 / 80. A few years ago, after years of headaches, my doc got serious about his BP that was by then at 190/110. He said he's back to normal now - on three meds.

Adam
08-02-06, 08:27 PM
mine shot up once at the doctors office before i had a procedure done... it was 164/110! it normally runs about 130/70 and thats what it has been running anyway. well thats +/- 4. bottomed out once, that was scary, it was like 80/52 iirc. the highest i have seen is 210/190 but the guy was going through SVT... and not the ford kind either.

DILLIGAF
08-02-06, 09:18 PM
Hows these numbers,253/177 with no headache or stroke?

SpeedyArizona
08-02-06, 09:39 PM
My doctor said I had high blood pressure and this was my response "YOU LEFT ME SIT IN YOUR DAMN OFFICE FOR 2 HOURS!" I came back the next day and took it right away and guess what....it was normal:D!

dp102288
08-03-06, 08:20 AM
Thanks a lot. All the advice is really good and supportive. I am actually surprised at some of your numbers. My pressure is actually 130/85. According to some websites that isn't even high, just borderline.

I will try the Cinnamon and Celery Seed Extract (one at a time though) to see which works better. My parents are more worried about it then me. Let's say because I am under 18 years old. (well I will be 18 in late october) (yeah I am very young to be in, and appreciate a Caddy) (no I never did or never will want a souped up 4 cylinder where people can hear me 1/4 mile away).

It is recognised that stressful situations can increase the blood pressure; if a normally normotensive patient has a high blood pressure only when being reviewed by a healthcare professional, this is colloquially termed white coat effect. Since most of what we know of hypertension and its outcome with or without modification is based on large series of readings in doctors' offices and clinics (e.g., Framingham), it is difficult to be sure that white-coat hypertension is not significant. Ambulatory monitoring may help determine whether traffic and ticket inspectors produce similar sustained rises.

Maybe I have white coat because according to my BP monitor at home (I test daily) I rarely go over 125/80.

EcSTSatic
08-03-06, 08:31 AM
Not wanting to get into a generation argument again but is this common today?
When I was 18 I went into the Marines. For several years I was isolated from the civilian world and it's physical woes. Everyone was pretty lean and mean as we used to say. Maybe it was the same back then on the outside but I worry about kids today. They seem to spend more time getting pacified by the electronic wizardry of today then doing more physical activities.
Say it isn't so!!

c5 rv
08-03-06, 11:36 AM
I think high BP is becoming a larger problem among young people. I'm nearly 50, so I almost expect it in me. But in talking to other parents of young adults, I'm surprised by the number of people in their late teens and early 20s that are being put on BP medicine. In my opinion, there are three causes:

- Increased salt intake in our lousy diets
- Lowered physical activity and sweating
- Lowered threshold of BP treatment by the medical community. As I said earlier, my doc said that these days they want to lower any BP over 120/80. No more letting borderline high BPs go untreated.

Adam
08-03-06, 04:43 PM
Hows these numbers,253/177 with no headache or stroke?

GOOD HELL! that is what i would call lucky to be alive. you arent running that are you? if so, dude you should go to the doctor.

DILLIGAF
08-03-06, 06:53 PM
GOOD HELL! that is what i would call lucky to be alive. you arent running that are you? if so, dude you should go to the doctor.Its my girl friend,we've been working on it for a month and a half now.Only ill effect she had is not being able to sleep.The bottom number has been lowered to just over a 100 with meds.More doctor visits coming to find the cause.:eek: