: New problems with radio (at least to me)

jgrade
08-02-06, 10:29 AM
Rant/

Well it finally happened; the radio no longer mutes when I get an incoming call. I know this is not a new problem, but it is for me. The radio will mute when the phone rings, but when I push the green phone icon to answer, it un-mutes and the radio plays over the caller and the volume control does not function. I have had no issues like this since December when I bought the car. To boot, when I got in the car yesterday, the radio was on and loud, but the display said off. When I tried to turn the radio on, the soft button would not work. The way I finally got it to turn down and off was to push the nav button and agree to the legal terms. Then I was able to use the volume/ on/off control.

The Tony Show
08-02-06, 11:03 AM
Sounds like you need the radio reprogrammed.

These Navigation radios also have a nasty feature that ignores quick flicks of the volume knob. I suppose it's to prevent you from accidentally spinning the volume UP to insane levels, but if you get in and the radio is blasting, it also prevents you from turning it DOWN quickly. It's good in theory, but if you have to kill the volume quick, I recommend using the mute button on the steering wheel instead.

jgrade
08-02-06, 12:46 PM
Oddly enough, it coinsides with a visit to the dealer to try to fix the express window issue.

Cajonkev
08-03-06, 07:48 PM
Ahhh for want of a "Mute" button.

To bad GM used the same button for the "GAP" setting on the ACC...

BenC
08-03-06, 11:02 PM
I've never tried (or had reason to try) this on our STS, but it works with the computerized systems in the '93 Allante: basically a reboot of the computer(s) by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. What I don't know is whether an idle learn procedure is then required on the STS. And yes, I know the computer systems have come a long way since '93, and that the data transmission system is completely different, but just an idea that might work and very unlikely to cause any damage.