: STS sales ARE bad...

megeebee
08-01-06, 05:45 PM
Latest figures from GM at this link

STS sales are off an embarrasing 31% year to date over the same period last year.

So, if you want one, start dickering. It's a buyers market!

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=27722

ARTSBEST
08-01-06, 06:04 PM
You're right. Here's the total breakdown for Cadillac July sales:

Cadillac: had a rough month.

CTS sales were down about 8% when looking at the month to month comparisons. Total YTD sales are down about 12%
STS was hammered this month down close to 40% in the month to month sales and is down more than 30% in the YTD sales. XLR was also down about 20% in both the month to month and YTD comparisons.
DTS sales were essentially flat when compared to DeVille sales.
Escalade sales were down 34% month to month, but are still up 12% YTD
SRX sales (again a mystery of the universe) continue to disappoint down 36.7% month to month and is posting YTD sales beneath 2005 anemic numbers.

Dr. Design
08-02-06, 01:53 PM
Hello,
That is interesting. GM recently issued our press release to all Cadillac Dealerships to help with this very "problem", from newsletter "STS Appearance Package from D3 Automotive (See attached file: D3 Info (7-27-06).pdf)

In an effort to help you improve STS sales, Cadillac will begin to feature aftermarket kits which appeal to a younger, more affluent buyer. These kits are warranted by the manufacturer, not GM.

The first STS kit to be featured is offered by D3 Automotive, located in the Los Angeles area. Please contact D3, using the information in the attachment for further information about their offerings and pricepoints."

Thank you,

megeebee
08-02-06, 03:32 PM
Hello,
That is interesting. GM recently issued our press release to all Cadillac Dealerships to help with this very "problem", from newsletter "STS Appearance Package from D3 Automotive (See attached file: D3 Info (7-27-06).pdf)

In an effort to help you improve STS sales, Cadillac will begin to feature aftermarket kits which appeal to a younger, more affluent buyer. These kits are warranted by the manufacturer, not GM.

The first STS kit to be featured is offered by D3 Automotive, located in the Los Angeles area. Please contact D3, using the information in the attachment for further information about their offerings and pricepoints."

Thank you,

This is interesting. Meaning no disrespect of D3, it's sad when GM/Cadillac has to do this kind of thing to sell a car that SHOULD have been an out-of-the-park hit fresh from the factory. Personally (and I've written this many times), I blame Mr. Lutz for the failure of the STS. It's well known that one of the first things he did at GM was to stop the STS program and sent it back to the studio for changes, thus delaying it about 6 months and making the car an '05 model rather that the '04 it was planned to be ( He did something similar with the XLR too). I would dearly love to see what was planned for production before he arrived. His love of smooth-and-flowing is well known. The result is a compromise that pleases few. In fact, I think the STS is selling in smaller numbers than the car it replaced, the '98-'04 Seville. I'm only glad that the CTS was too far along by the time he got to GM to do anything about it. He made no secret of his dislike for the CTS specifically and the "Art & Science" design vocabulary as a whole. I remember reading an interview with Gary Cowger, chief of North American Manufacturing for GM at the time, and he was quoted as telling Mr. Lutz : "Bob, you're wrong about this". Lutz may have changed his mind about that now, especially with the stellar sales of the CTS. But, alas, too late for the STS.

AllWheelEric
08-03-06, 01:53 PM
I would have bought an '05 Seville STS if there were such a thing (I was trading in a '96). And I would have done it sooner. There were many things I liked better on the Seville, and that still holds true. So I spent a lot of time test driving other cars, looking alternatives. I came back to the STS, but it was a compromise, not a passionate purchase.

ARTSBEST
08-04-06, 03:58 PM
The ONLY D3 kit Cadillac needs is one that says: $10,000 cash incentive on all 06' STS's.

Dr. Design
08-23-06, 01:22 PM
Yeah we wish we could!!! :)
Is the general consensus the car is too expensive or over priced? We seem to think the vehicle just needs a little more style and performance. The Luxury is there already and will serve as a great foundation for future models. The stock styling is a little subtle and mundane, but is a GREAT foundation to work from. The N* could use about an extra 50whp, but all in all they are great cars. Just can't figure out why the low sales numbers. Marketing, advertising, or Economy??

The ONLY D3 kit Cadillac needs is one that says: $10,000 cash incentive on all 06' STS's.

Wiseguy2
08-25-06, 06:24 PM
I don't get it. I'm a big BMW owner and this is my first Cadillac car ever. You know, every friend of mine and customer (I own a BMW shop that specializes in M cars) who I have thrown the keys to was very impressed. That's right, you have people who drive M3s and M5s etc who start out with, "you bought a Cadillac? HAHA!" until they drive it. Then they next words out of their mouths are usually "I can't believe it.. it's an American 530i" . A close friend and customer has a 500hp Turbocharged M3.. I couldn't get him out of the car.. the trip around the block took an hour. The reason I even looked at the car was from a glowing review in the Roundel (Monthly magazine of the BMW Car Club of America) by a columnist.

I will say this, the one disappointing deature of the car is some of the interior trim, those stupid door panels put everyone off, the plastic trim on the tops of them looks like it belongs in a Kia or something. That and the horrible Michelin MXM4 tires are about the only complaints I have with the car. I'm glad that I bough tit over, say, a 530i.. this car is far more fun to drive and a great highway cruiser.

My salesman is also a BMW enthusiast and we basically agreed, with a few minor tweaks the car would be damn near perfect. It's amazing how a few stupid pieces of plastic let the car down, silly as it may sound. The interior is just not up to BMW or Audi standards. (Sit in a 5 series or A6, then sit in the STS...) Also, I haven't noticed any advertising on it yet.. stupid of GM.

Still, the car cost LESS than I would pay for a comparably equipped 330i.. it amazes me that I see so few on the road.:confused:

corvette00
08-25-06, 08:39 PM
I agree with all the comments about the current STS. I have leased six of the Seville STS's before my current STS. Other than the performance and handling I prefer the old STS. I live in Michigan and will not lease another rwd STS. My current lease is up in a couple of months and I am debating on what I should do. Hopefully, the lease programs will be attractive, otherwise I will probably make a change.

Skibanker
08-26-06, 12:09 PM
I agree with all the comments about the current STS. I have leased six of the Seville STS's before my current STS. Other than the performance and handling I prefer the old STS. I live in Michigan and will not lease another rwd STS. My current lease is up in a couple of months and I am debating on what I should do. Hopefully, the lease programs will be attractive, otherwise I will probably make a change.

The STS4 is pretty sure footed in the snow and rain (says a Chicagoan) and not that much more for a good negotiator.

Jesda
08-31-06, 01:57 PM

Any consideration for the DTS, or would that be too stodgy?

I'm genuinely curious about how Seville owners feel about the STS, since the cars are so tremendously different.

jamrock62
08-31-06, 09:47 PM
I just sold my 05 sts and bought E550-my first benz.When i was contemplating selling my sts,I went to the cadillac dealer(classic) and looked at the 06 and discussed the 07's. The dealer did not want to pay off my car to get me into a new one-he wanted to flip the negative equity(2,000) on top of the new car purchase. I went the mecedes dealer-I just looked and asked what he could do on a trade. He was $1200 closer,leaving me with $800 negative equity. At that point, he suggested going to Car Max and seeing what they offered. I went to Carmax and they offered the total owed plus $1000.00. So I guess you know who ended up with the car.
I guess I thought cadillac would offer the best deal since it was their car,but i was mistaken.
The Sts is a good car with few annoyances.I would purchase another after they have improved the interior,seats,etc.

cmicasa
08-31-06, 09:52 PM
Jamrock how many miles did U have on your STS? Was it the V8? Which package?

I've been considering a similar move, but to a Escalade. I currently have a Prev gen. Yukon, Corvette, and G6 as a dailey driver. I was thinking I would sell the Yukon and STS ..and just get the Escalade...kinda of combining the best of both worlds...but with one less Insurance premium. I currently have 10,500 Miles on my STS V8

rayainsw
09-01-06, 08:05 AM
I just sold my 05 sts . . . I went to Carmax and they offered the total owed plus $1000.00. So I guess you know who ended up with the car.
I guess I thought cadillac would offer the best deal since it was their car,but i was mistaken.

I see that you are also in the Atlanta area - how did sales tax work out in this deal?
I believe that sales tax is levied on the difference when a trade is involved - but on th efull amount when no trade?
Still came out ahead, I presume?
Thanks,
- Ray
Just curious...

rayainsw
09-01-06, 02:22 PM
August sales:

GM Media Online (http://www.media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=3&docid=28297)

cmicasa
09-02-06, 06:42 PM
August sales:

GM Media Online (http://www.media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=3&docid=28297)

Yeah ...exactly. While the Lexus GS is selling more cars than the STS, the M, and RL are equal and far behind, respectively. Also one must note that the majority of the Lex. GSs that are sold are the cheaper GS300 while the STS sells more in the higher ($$$) Northstar variant.

I do think that with the new CTS about to hit tho that the STS may look stale and boring sitting on the same lot, hence I hope Caddy has made provisions for change in the 2008 model year. I will most likely get rid of my 2005 at the end of the month to move to the Escalade. If the STS comes out strong (Altho I love the current one as well) or the SIXTEEN type vehicle is built I will be back to the Sedan world around 2009.

jamrock62
09-08-06, 12:56 AM
Jamrock how many miles did U have on your STS? Was it the V8? Which package?

I've been considering a similar move, but to a Escalade. I currently have a Prev gen. Yukon, Corvette, and G6 as a dailey driver. I was thinking I would sell the Yukon and STS ..and just get the Escalade...kinda of combining the best of both worlds...but with one less Insurance premium. I currently have 10,500 Miles on my STS V8

Had 16000 miles,v6.

jamrock62
09-08-06, 12:59 AM
I see that you are also in the Atlanta area - how did sales tax work out in this deal?
I believe that sales tax is levied on the difference when a trade is involved - but on th efull amount when no trade?
Still came out ahead, I presume?
Thanks,
- Ray
Just curious...
I didn't trade-they bought it from me.

xxcaddytech
09-14-06, 02:26 AM
i love my wifes... LOL ....sts4 but i never get to drive it.. my biggest complaint.. it looks to much like a cts... part of the problem for sure!!!!!

Dr. Design
09-14-06, 12:10 PM
Hello,
I recall when they first released the STS, it took a little while to recognize it as an STS rather than a CTS. Since we look at them everyday we can spot them out from a mile away. The 08 version will certainly separate the two in appearance.

Thanks,

i love my wifes... LOL ....sts4 but i never get to drive it.. my biggest complaint.. it looks to much like a cts... part of the problem for sure!!!!!

megeebee
09-15-06, 04:06 PM
Hello,
. The 08 version will certainly separate the two in appearance.

Thanks,

Have you seen whats planned for '08? Every spy shot i've seen shows only revised taillights and a slightly different grille insert.

Dr. Design
09-15-06, 09:14 PM
Hello,
We have not seen actual images of the revised STS. However, I can tell you that the images that are currently circulating on the internet are not a correct variation of the revised 08' STS. Please let us know if there are any questions.
Thank you,

Have you seen whats planned for '08? Every spy shot i've seen shows only revised taillights and a slightly different grille insert.

megeebee
09-16-06, 10:41 PM
Hello,
We have not seen actual images of the revised STS. However, I can tell you that the images that are currently circulating on the internet are not a correct variation of the revised 08' STS. Please let us know if there are any questions.
Thank you,

This is good news to me. Every photo I've seen around shows no changes at all aside from the small ones I mentioned.

And yes, I do have some questions:

1) Is any of the sheet metal revised? or is it just facias and lenses?

2) Do you know if the interior is getting any attention?

Howardd21
09-17-06, 07:28 AM
I had a 99 Seville STS, and purchased a 2005 STS when they were available. I still like the styling of the 99 over the 05. In fact, the 99 STS had more options on it, and I found them more reliable, than the 05. Example: My autosensing wipers worked much better on the 99; additionally it had heated rear seats, the 05 does not. All in all, if it did not have 150k miles, I would still be driving the 99.

xxcaddytech
09-17-06, 10:30 AM
diffrence between the 02 vs 05 as stated above better rainsense wipers... the 02 LOOKED like an sts not a damn cts.. too similar is probably an issue why buy the gold when the gold plate looks the same? (to most prople anyway) no freakin preset scan button! ! ! what a p.i.t.a. when you get use to that feature. awd transmission software plauge.. and a tq converter that is imho vained wrong (hesitation when starting) feels like a stall converter--if you are gonna have this feature please let me know so i can order mine with a 3k stall..LOL it will make it nicer for the sts turbo kit in the future $3300.00 thank you very much...mmmmmm horsepower!

STSgirl
09-17-06, 11:09 PM
GREAT news!! I don't want to see them all over the place. Only "unique" individuals will own and APPRECIATE this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Design
09-18-06, 01:43 PM
Hello,
#1) Answer - Sheet metal. Apparently there are gills on the fenders. The front fascia and rocker panels are also different. But as far as sheet metal, only the fenders should have changes.

#2) We didnt get any updates regarding the interior.

Let us know if there are any questions.
Thank you,

This is good news to me. Every photo I've seen around shows no changes at all aside from the small ones I mentioned.

And yes, I do have some questions:

1) Is any of the sheet metal revised? or is it just facias and lenses?

2) Do you know if the interior is getting any attention?

megeebee
09-18-06, 02:58 PM
Hello,
#1) Answer - Sheet metal. Apparently there are gills on the fenders. The front fascia and rocker panels are also different. But as far as sheet metal, only the fenders should have changes.

#2) We didnt get any updates regarding the interior.

Let us know if there are any questions.
Thank you,

No, thank YOU.

mrtrumpet
09-24-06, 06:13 PM
We did buy one this past month and got ours with the V6 luxury package. With the $9K rebate and our trade it was $36K. I thought that was pretty reasonable compared to the competition. And it is a fun car with a great ride!I'm starting to see a few more in our area now. Maybe the incentives are working...

megeebee
09-24-06, 07:47 PM
We did buy one this past month and got ours with the V6 luxury package. With the $9K rebate and our trade it was $36K. I thought that was pretty reasonable compared to the competition. And it is a fun car with a great ride!I'm starting to see a few more in our area now. Maybe the incentives are working...

Wow. Well done. You've got a bonafide bargain.

ARTSBEST
09-25-06, 12:05 PM
mrtrumpet SAYS: With the $9K rebate.... I think you meant to say with TOTAL discount off the car, including rebate was $9K, correct? For right now the cash rebate is ONLY $4,500.