: Is WOT a crime?

railven
08-01-06, 12:58 PM
I've been getting into the habit of WOTing my car at least once a day. It is mostly during the night run home from work.

The speed limit on this stretch of highway is 65. There were no cars behind me on the on-ramp so I slowed down to about 20, shifted into second, and WOTed to 65 and let off the accelerator. The car dropped to about 55 so I shifted back into Drive and accelerated back to 60. Then I saw the sirens.

A State Trooper pulled me over. He gave me an ear full of wreckless driving. The highway was pratically empty and you'd expect it around 1AM. He didn't give me a ticket though.

As I was retelling this to a coworker he said I didn't do anything wrong. I was within the speed limit.

What do you guys say?

1997seville
08-01-06, 01:13 PM
Sounds like the trooper was in a bad mood or something. I have seen people get pulled over for doing burnouts, but thats not even possible in our cars. If you were not speeding, he should have no reason to pull you over for just accelerating at WOT. That is just crazy.

EcSTSatic
08-01-06, 01:19 PM
I got reprimanded in my high school days by a sheriff not to do wheelies in the parking lot on my Yamaha 250. I don't think I was speeding. More of a case as you say of reckless driving.
It was late, afterwork in the grociery store parking lot. No one to hurt except myself. I didn't get a ticket either.

CadillacSTS42005
08-01-06, 01:22 PM
yup its listed as wreakless for "over accelerating" if he wanted to he could of ticketed you. in court though it prob wouldnt og held up

JustDoug
08-01-06, 01:30 PM
A couple of points:

1- Driving slower than 15 mph below the posted limit is a violation. I believe that applies everywhere...

2- Wreckless Driving, or Careless And Imprudent Driving as it is known in many places, is a violation. This one is a matter of the officer's opinion of your actions- and generally hard to dispute. Consider yourself lucky for not getting ticketed!

Don't get me wrong, I also take certain liberties, if you will, when I have certain favorite stretches of road to myself. But that doesn't make me any less guilty if/when I get caught!

EcSTSatic
08-01-06, 01:36 PM
Could you just say you were doing routine maintenance on your car? :)

Frost
08-01-06, 01:47 PM
When there is a danger of being unduly noticed whilst involved in "routine maintenance", such as WOTS, I will try and combine it with similar tasks - like accelerating up an on-ramp - get the car up to 20 mph or so, then drop it down into 2nd gear and nail the bastard, hanging on for dear life until the car gets to 55-60mph.

By then the rpms are where you'd want them anyway, certainly no higher. Back off the peddle, shift into "D" and carry on like nothing was untoward about the whole affair.

JimD
08-01-06, 02:08 PM
.... Back off the peddle, shift into "D" and carry on like nothing was untoward about the whole affair.

To get the full benefit of WOT therapy you should leave the selector in "2" and allow the engine to compression brake the car back to around 40 - 45 and then nail it again to 65 - 70. Repeat as required or until you no longer see a cloud in the mirror.

Raze
08-01-06, 03:33 PM
Here's why:

http://thumbs.vidiac.com/b1ea70c2-4515-4e9c-8900-f666828189e0.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b1ea70c2-4515-4e9c-8900-f666828189e0.htm)Click here to see Video (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b1ea70c2-4515-4e9c-8900-f666828189e0.htm)

Lesson learned.

Frost
08-01-06, 04:11 PM
Why do people use Streetfire with Starsearch for their videos and pictures? I have never and I mean NEVER had any success when accessing those clowns.

Always the same message "SORRY, CAN"T FIND xxxxxx)

CadillacSTS42005
08-01-06, 04:14 PM
rofl!
wot isnt the problem
Ford Circled the problem for us in that video

Ur7x
08-01-06, 04:17 PM
I've been getting into the habit of WOTing my car at least once a day. It is mostly during the night run home from work.

A State Trooper pulled me over. He didn't give me a ticket though.

What do you guys say?

The reason he didn't give you a ticket is because you did nothing wrong... Reckless driving is almost impossible to prove unless you were going double the speed limit or unless you crashed into something.... The trooper knows this... You were pissing him off and he decided to return the favor...
Or Maybe he thought the car was stolen or maybe He was just jealous of your car..

slc
08-01-06, 04:21 PM
I've been getting into the habit of WOTing my car at least once a day

Hmmmm, at least once a day with fuel at $3.25 a gallon, bet you have wonderful MPG.

the727kid
08-01-06, 04:49 PM
I get about 16 and WOT numerous times each day.

Mccalist
08-01-06, 04:59 PM
I never do anything less than WOT. Everywhere I go. Right up to the point where I have to slam on the brakes.

the727kid
08-01-06, 05:16 PM
I never do anything less than WOT. Everywhere I go. Right up to the point where I have to slam on the brakes.

Your an idiot. I hope you get water in your hole and your engine blows up.

CadillacSTS42005
08-01-06, 05:20 PM

:histeric:

OffThaHorseCEO
08-01-06, 05:20 PM

im sure he wasnt serious

CadillacSTS42005
08-01-06, 05:21 PM
:histeric:

codewize
08-01-06, 06:58 PM
Good one. Actually is WOT listed in the manual anywhere?

I think the officer has discretion on wreckless driving based on conditions at the time. Seems to me he was being unreasonable though.

Also the burnouts would be an 'unsafe start' I know, I've gotten those before. Now having said that I don't know if you actually have to spin tires for it to be considered unsafe start.

Tell the cop to go scratch, WOT and say by by.:thumbsup:

Could you just say you were doing routine maintenance on your car? :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-01-06, 07:10 PM
"Officer are you kidding?! That wasn't full throttle, that was only half!"

Ranger
08-01-06, 08:26 PM
The WOT proceedure we speak of is not in any manual.
I think the "offense" is called rapid acceleration, if he wanted to nail you. Having said that, how do you measure it? How rapid is too rapid? What is the proper rate of acceleration? Then again, he is the law, and I don't care what anyone says, you are guilty til proven innocent, and the burden of proof is on you.

Dadillac
08-01-06, 08:53 PM
I would think that the issue that the cop had was the car slowing to 20 mph in a 65 mph zone. That in itself can pose a serious traffic problem.

Don

92EldoTC
08-01-06, 09:31 PM
Why do people use Streetfire with Starsearch for their videos and pictures? I have never and I mean NEVER had any success when accessing those clowns.

Always the same message "SORRY, CAN"T FIND xxxxxx)
same here

92EldoTC
08-01-06, 09:34 PM
dont know about the 4.9 but i've read that it is mandatory to wot the N*, so you could've said you were doing preventive maintanance.
in the owners manual for a N* powered car, does it say you must wot from time to time.
if it does, highlight it and show it to the cop next time.

Ranger
08-01-06, 09:39 PM
The 4.9 does not require WOT.

GM's lawyers would never allow them to print such a proceedure. The WOT proceesdure we speak of is advice given to us by our old Guru.

1997BlackETC
08-01-06, 10:09 PM
I always take a good look around me before doing it to make sure there are very few cars around me and no Cops, like was said, I generally try and do it on an on ramp that is not too busy. I would think Wot only needs to be done around once every couple of weeks or so, anything more is just wasting fuel and stressing out the trans, brakes, etc more than necessary.

codewize
08-01-06, 10:16 PM
Exactly !

In regards to how rapid is to rapid, it's like the exhaust thing with noise. How loud is to loud? All engines sound different and engines sound different throughout the throttle range so unless they're going to say this engine at this RPM has to be below x db then forget it. They have no leg to stand on. 'To loud' is an opinion and it will never hold water in court.

Take that to court

"Officer are you kidding?! That wasn't full throttle, that was only half!"

94stsJim
08-01-06, 11:49 PM
sorry... but what is "WOT", i have the N*, after i get my tranny fixed, should i WOT?

CadillacSTS42005
08-01-06, 11:56 PM
dude fukin search the forum ppl like you really piss me off this has been covered more times than anyone would care to remember

wot=wide open throttle

CadiJeff
08-02-06, 12:36 AM
Calm down man it was just a simple question....... here :chill: :chill: and don't call me in the morning

Ranger
08-02-06, 11:10 AM
Got to the top left of this page. Click on Technical Archives and read up on "Occasional Full-Throttle Acceleration".

dp102288
08-02-06, 12:22 PM
General question: When you put you trans in 2nd gear, and floor it, what RPMs are you getting at 65 mph?

fpmesiIII
08-02-06, 01:11 PM
should be around 6500 before engine automatically backs off. and dont worry 6500 rpms is fine for your n* they have been tested at redline for consecutive hours.

Elvis
08-02-06, 01:33 PM
I used to do this to my grandmother's cars whenever she'd go out of town and loan me her car instead of my old truck. I just liked to see all the black smoke blow out the back.

She knew I liked to tinker with cars and she would ask me what I did to her car, because it was running so much better!

CadillacSTS42005
08-02-06, 01:52 PM
yea a simple question which has been answered more times than whats 2+2=?

94stsJim
08-02-06, 03:26 PM
yea a simple question which has been answered more times than whats 2+2=?

hey buddy, i did do a search, i even google it, you would not believe what i get, "WOT"(with no explaination), "wife on time", "wheel of time", etc, that's why i asked the people. didn't mean to offend anybody, I am sure you weren't born with the natural knowledge of it. I sure hope you never have to ask people for help.

edit: just notice that you are only 20 this year, i guess you are one of those know it all guy then.

fpmesiIII
08-02-06, 03:27 PM
"yea a simple question which has been answered more times than whats 2+2=?"

some may not have the same forum or car knowledge as others. therefore they will learn like the rest of us have.

Elvis
08-02-06, 04:42 PM
Agreed.

Let's be nice from now on. Please?