: question on fuel gauge.....

ascariSTS
08-01-06, 08:24 AM
Sometimes I need to push the car to go to high RPMs... that is about 4000 or 5000... after that when I stop somewhere, like in a traffic light, I notice that the fuel gauge drops about 1/8 or 1/4... just for some time... then after normal driving it returns to its original position...

is there a problem?... or is it just something normal...?

AllWheelEric
08-02-06, 08:31 AM
Well, I had a fun time trying to replicate your problem yesterday. I didn't see exactly what you saw. In my car, I find that after about 8 sprints from 0 to 70 mph (using the full RPM range), I find the gas gauge drops about 1/8 to 1/4 and stays there!

ascariSTS
08-04-06, 03:11 PM
LOL

8 sprints high RPM... that should drop it...

anyways seems it's not normal... i'm drivin my car to the dealer tomorrow... i will tell them about it... although i'm 99% sure they will do nothing...

mczurales
08-10-06, 11:22 PM
I had this problem too, I have an 06 STS 1SE 4.6. I work at the dealership in Sales, and I got a lecture about this problem from one of the techs!! I used to fill up at a little less than 1/4 tank. I would have the problem where it would drop a little come back up go down, etc. Sometimes it would even stick at below empty, like where it rests in the off position. The tech said that the fuel tank has two sides because of the tranny, and the fuel pump is on one of the sides. He said letting it go below 1/4 tank will burn the pump and cause the sensor to do that with the needle. I don't know much about it and I've never heard of not letting it below 1/4 tank but I always fill up over a 1/4 and don't have the issue anymore.

Cajonkev
08-10-06, 11:39 PM
The possible fuel starvation and dry pump runs due to low fuel is a known issue since they only engineered a single crossover pump instead of bi-directionl fuel flow with the saddle tanks.

Lived through that mess I have and although they did recalibrate the sensors I will never let mine go below 1/4 tank again either!

ascariSTS
08-14-06, 02:36 AM
I had this problem too, I have an 06 STS 1SE 4.6. I work at the dealership in Sales, and I got a lecture about this problem from one of the techs!! I used to fill up at a little less than 1/4 tank. I would have the problem where it would drop a little come back up go down, etc. Sometimes it would even stick at below empty, like where it rests in the off position. The tech said that the fuel tank has two sides because of the tranny, and the fuel pump is on one of the sides. He said letting it go below 1/4 tank will burn the pump and cause the sensor to do that with the needle. I don't know much about it and I've never heard of not letting it below 1/4 tank but I always fill up over a 1/4 and don't have the issue anymore.

The possible fuel starvation and dry pump runs due to low fuel is a known issue since they only engineered a single crossover pump instead of bi-directionl fuel flow with the saddle tanks.

Lived through that mess I have and although they did recalibrate the sensors I will never let mine go below 1/4 tank again either!

I usually don't let it go less than 1/4 tank :confused: ... I don't know... i'll try it one more time see if it works...

my friend has a CTS and it does this also... maybe it something with our fuel type :p ..

I dunno... do you think it might be coz of our gasoline ?...

justgreat
08-16-06, 04:40 PM
are these fuel gage issues with the v8 models only? i regularly run my 06 v6 at or under 1/4 tank with no issues.

so the fuel tank is split on both sides of the drivetrain? are there any pictures of the underside of the sts?

jackg 06 sts6