: Anyone Here do Therapy?

DopeStar 156
08-01-06, 01:45 AM
I'm gonna be starting therapy sessions hopefully soon and I was wondering if anyone else on here does it. I wanna know if it's really helpful. I'm dealing with a lotta personal shit right now and I don't have the power to cope anymore.

CadiJeff
08-01-06, 01:52 AM
dude this is my therapy well this and driving my cadi's, besides I won't go to any doc that can be split into two ominous words therapist becomes....The Rapist.....usually when the checkbook comes out. LOL

Frost
08-01-06, 02:56 AM
Therapy is one Hell of a broad topic. It runs the gamut from physical therapy to emotional therapy to mental therapy and all points in-between. You'll have to narrow it down a bit.

What kind of "personal shit" are you dealing with, because you'd never know it from your posts? Generally upbeat, all good stuff over the car, the girlfriend, the vacations, etc.

70eldo
08-01-06, 05:08 AM
Hey, I know what you are going through!
My girlfriend is now in therapy since january. Also lots of shit to deal with, especially from her youth. All cropped up all these years, thought she could deal with it and now it all comes out... no fun man!
I did a good job gettin a lot of information from the net about this to deal with it. Because I have to deal with it too! And it's not easy! Honoust communication is key!

davesdeville
08-01-06, 06:30 AM
No but I probably should.

EcSTSatic
08-01-06, 08:03 AM
I did a little time and I'm not even from California. I don't know what kind of therapy they call it but is was supposed to help me reduce tension and the constant headaches I used to get. Basically it had to do with proper breathing, surroundings, and focusing on thoughts that have a calming affect. They used bio-feedback to measure progress.
My point is; whether you buy into it or not, the places I know about all start with your environment. It's amazing how music affects the body. Try listening to different music.

Elvis
08-01-06, 08:51 AM
Try listening to different music.

Amen. All that goth stuff and death metal music has to bring a person way down. Of course, Barry Manilow might push him completely over the edge. I'd suggest lounge music. Exotica. Big band swing. Maybe some 50's Vegas stuff like Louis Prima. Possibly even Sinatra!

But seriously, the first thing you've gotta do is realize that most of your "personal shit" was somebody else's "personal shit" before they dumped it on you. Then you get in the habit of covering yourself up even more in "personal shit" because it's become a habit and it's sort of a comfort zone for you.

You're a good guy, or else that hottie you keep showing us pictures of wouldn't be spending all this time with you. Learn to forgive yourself and put things behind you.

DopeStar 156
08-01-06, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure how into detail I wanna go with this, but I'll just list a few reoccuring problems that have arisen lately.

-Nightmares
-Paranoia
-Random fits of depression/rage
-Unexplained crying
-Anxiety
-Restlessness

I don't think my music has anything to do with it. If anything it's distracting me......

DILLIGAF
08-01-06, 12:39 PM
No substance abuse listed,thats good.Not trying to be pushy or anything here.There is a book that will guarantee you happiness and show us all better ways to live our lives.Good luck and how can we help?

gdwriter
08-01-06, 01:09 PM
Dope, you have my sympathy and empathy. I understand what you're going through. I was diagnosed with clinical depression 12 years ago, and I've been on anti-depressent meds since 1997 (originally was on Effexor, now on Cymbalta; fewer side effects). It's a chemical imbalance in the brain that I believe I was born with; looking at my family history, I can see where it's genetic. And despite the meds, it's still something I struggle with. Like you, I have random fits of depression and rage; that's partially to blame for the collapse of my marriage.

Therapy can really be hit or miss. I've seen a few good counselors as well as a few who only made things worse. If the person you're seeing isn't helping, go see somebody else. It's important that the therapist gets you.

Also, you probably should see a doctor and ask about potential medications. At first, every one of them I tried (Prozac, Welbutrin, Paxil, BuSpar) had absolutely no effect on my depression, and even the meds I'm on now can't eliminate it entirely. But I can tell a difference.

I hate being dependent on anti-depressent meds, but the alternative is much, much worse. I once ran out of meds over a holiday weekend when the pharmacies were closed and had a horrible, terrifying reaction. Although there is a stigma attached to depression and anti-depression meds, think of it as if you had diabetes. Would you not take insulin?

It seems like you have a supportive family and the fabulous Miss DopeStar, so keep the good things in life in the forefront of your mind. I have to remind myself to do this almost every day.

Oh, and listening to some Sinatra (his more upbeat stuff at least) couldn't hurt.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

LittleB
08-01-06, 01:22 PM
I hate to jump to conclusions and start talking about medications but just in case.....My friend went through this, and for the longest time she wouldn't take medication because she didn't want to be dependent on it and she wanted to be able to do it on her own. I tried to tell her that it's a chemicle imbalance, and it's not something she can control. I also pointed out to her that she was self medicating herself in other ways (drinking, smoking cigarrettes, smoking weed, taking exctasy) and that it would be better if she starting taking some sort of medication rather than try to make herself feel better doing other things. Now I know you aren't doing all of that stuff but it's just an example of how medication might be a good thing, and it's not a sign of weakness at all.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-01-06, 01:56 PM
eeeemmmoooooo

no im joking, really, good luck with everything

DopeStar 156
08-01-06, 02:55 PM
eeeemmmoooooo

no im joking, really, good luck with everything
Haha ewwwww.....

I'm sure this can be handled without the use of drugs. I just wanna know what's bothering me that I'm unaware of. I'm hoping a therapist would be able to make connections somehow and tell me what's wrong and what I need to do to correct it....

gdwriter
08-01-06, 04:17 PM
I'm sure this can be handled without the use of drugs. I just wanna know what's bothering me that I'm unaware of. I'm hoping a therapist would be able to make connections somehow and tell me what's wrong and what I need to do to correct it....That sounds like a smart approach to start with. Good luck.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-01-06, 06:48 PM
My therapy is this forums site! I can't afford a regular therapist!

Good idea Dope, and good luck with it!

90Brougham350
08-01-06, 08:09 PM
Best of luck Dopestar, my thoughts are with you. It's good that you've recognized you should find some help with this, that already means you're on the road to recovery.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-01-06, 10:40 PM
Dope ....Im in therapy at least once a month .....

I go thru alot of shit , trust me .....Then on top of that adjust back to civilian life ....also living in the middle of nowhere alaska for four years and coming back to this over populated hell hole...cant get a girl....It gets to work on a mans mind ...

Been in and out of therapy for years .....early on it was mandatory becuse of my temper , my commander issued a written order to send me there after i had beaten up my boss for the thrid time ...while everyone admitted he deserved it ....it was still no excuse ...i made it without therapy for 2 years after i got out , and dureing my time at cadillac things got so bad that there that i ended up back in therapy...

What i go for is prolly diffrent then most ...I needed a unobjective , nutral , 3rd party to tell me if everything going on and what people do is acceptable or not ....I have very high expectations for those around me .....And even higher for myself ...She claims that i have a hard time dealing with the fact people are human .....

As for meds , let the therapist make that call , sometimes youll just be like me , where i just needed a wall to bounce ideas off of ....only recently i was put on something to "relax" me ....which allowed me to enjoy this neat concept called sleep ...its really amazing ...i guess it isnt normal to be re wireing or "fixing" things at 3 am .....the sleep thing also got rid of my back pain ....youd be amazed ....

Now , anger managment is a diffrent story , my record so far has been i think 8 mintues ....walked out and got kicked out numerous times....I make bobby knight look like that ******* on PBS that paints "little happy clouds"

:rant2:

slk230mb
08-01-06, 10:44 PM
I make bobby knight look like that ******* on PBS that paints "little happy clouds"

:rant2:

Bob Ross, RIP.

http://www.bobross.com/art/splash/splash4b.jpg

:rolleyes:

Stoneage_Caddy
08-01-06, 11:13 PM
yeah , that dude ....ill admit he had a ton of talent ....was prolly a very nice guy ....

but theres no doubt what he was up to in the 60s

DopeStar 156
08-02-06, 01:57 AM
I got a phone number of a therapist my mom used to see so I'm gonna call the person up tomorrow and set something up. Today I had a pretty ok day, I didn't feel as down but I still had my moments....

kali_cts03
08-02-06, 03:02 AM
I think most people if not everyone goes through some shit in their life at some point.... :mad:

Anyways, don't give up!!! Make sure you talk to someone about your problems and don't try to hold them and protect them!!! :bigroll: That could be a lot worse in the long run if you do!!! Good Luck!!! :)