: 1998 STS A/C Problems

akaz87
02-09-04, 10:01 PM
The dumbass cadillac dealer said oh you have no leaks in your AC system. They filled the R-143 up and it leaked all out within 3 months. I will not take it back to the dealer, where are some common places for leaks in an AC system?

THanks Brandon

Lawrence
02-10-04, 03:14 PM
I know you won't want to hear this but there is no common place for an AC leak. It could be leaking at any component or juncture.

You could go to your local auto parts store and add some 134a with a red dye to locate a bigger leak but it does not seem to be very effective with slow leaks such as yours. If it worked it would likely take months to show and then your system would be empty again. Your call.

Personally though I would take it back to the shop that did the work and explain to them what happened. They should certainly put more effort into this time. If that was your only trip to them you should give them a chance to make it right.

If not though the next best thing would be to find a another shop. They have electronic detectors and a special green dye that is detected with a black light. Some shops use one or the other or both depending on the leak and the shops preference.

Good Luck!

Lawrence
02-10-04, 03:29 PM
One easy thing you might check are the charge port shrader valves (like in a tire). You'll need a long tire tool to reach them. You can expect them to move alittle, but if they seem exceesivly loose???????? Be sure not to over do it. Clockwise just until snug, no real twisting on them.

zonie77
02-10-04, 10:32 PM
A leak that takes 3 mos to fail the AC is pretty small. Any of the Orings or the Schraders or the compressor seal. Could be the cause. Also the evaporater or condensor could have a pinhole leak.
Checking the schraders is a good idea but you need it charged to check. Use soapy water or alcohol to check. I got bit by a bad schraeder myself. It leaked after I charged the system, with the gauges hooked up you don't see the leak.