: Back from vacation (with pics)

SpeedyArizona
07-30-06, 09:40 PM
Hello everyone! Just got back from a family reunion in Iowa an hour or so ago. Left very early Friday morning. We stayed at The Inn at Okoboji, nice hotel (right on the water).

Friday was basically a free-for-all, everyone basically hung around the pool and talked (some of us also rented a boat and went on the water for a few hours). That evening all the grownups went to the bar (upscale bar where they screwed me on a $6 beer....and I had 5), the kids were swimming. I turned in by 1:yawn: .

Saturday was a fun day. Most of us went to the Dry Dock for a couple Bloody Mary's and some breakfast. Then a few cousins and I went to Arnold's Park (small amusement park right on the water) and went "riding". We had a family photo at 4 (which took an hour) and then we all went to the convetion center for dinner (and an open bar which I took full advantage of:alchi: ). After dinner we talked about our family heritage and my great-aunt (who will be 100 this fall) told stories about my Grandpa and his two brothers- Clarence and Frank- bootlegging during the Great Depression and beyond (which was quite interesting).

We all left about 9 and EVERYONE (except the kids) went down to the beach, drank A LOT of booze (we had 20 24-packs of beer and then countless bottles of various alcohol). Well....me and my jackass cousins decided to light off some fireworks they happened to bring. In the end security came and confiscated them because there was a small grass fire:want: ...

This morning I woke up at 5 and had a few Screwdrivers at the cafe with my uncle. Left at around 2 and flew back to Scottsdale.

Great reunion though, I really enjoy being with my family (money is one thing, family is EVERYTHING). In the end we had about 80 people, in 2001 we had 150.

Pictures are being resized, will post in a few minutes.

SpeedyArizona
07-30-06, 09:53 PM
A few pictures:) , I'm in the Pink family:rant2: !

Elvis
07-30-06, 09:56 PM
That looks like a beautiful place and sounds like you had a great time. I love bloody marys!

Did you meet any hot chicks?

SpeedyArizona
07-30-06, 10:05 PM
I love bloody marys!

Same here! Probably one of my favorite drinks:thumbsup: . Honest to God my bar bill was MORE than my 2 nights in the hotel:eek: !

Did you meet any hot chicks?

Haha...well I was with my family the whole time....

I did meet a girl while boating but didn't do anything because my 12 year old cousin was with me otherwise maybe her top might've fallen off:D.

Elvis
07-30-06, 10:07 PM
I did meet a girl while boating but didn't do anything because my 12 year old cousin was with me otherwise maybe her top might've fallen off:D.

You know, it's funny how those kinds of things always seem to happen at family reunions down here! :D

SpeedyArizona
07-30-06, 10:15 PM
You know, it's funny how those kinds of things always seem to happen at family reunions down here!

Always at the worst times too:D! A few of us went skinny dipping at 2 a.m. though, booze+ fireworks+ water= trouble;)!

Florian
07-30-06, 10:18 PM
whose the hot chick on the right in the first pic....I think I got wood...

F

SpeedyArizona
07-30-06, 10:25 PM
It wasn't all booze though, I did enjoy some intellectual conversation with a few of my cousins (we go on a first name basis, I really don't know how we're related). One of them used to design missiles and lives in Arlington, TX and another is the Vice President of a cement company in D.C. (they're both in their 50's)

We actually don't have any "black sheep" which is a good thing. All of us can down the booze but from 9-5 we are on-task. I had a great time:D.

SpeedyArizona
07-30-06, 10:27 PM
whose the hot chick on the right in the first pic....I think I got wood...

Where do you want it, in the gut or in the jaw:D?

Florian
07-30-06, 10:49 PM
Funny, I asked her the same thing...just different locations. Speedy, how can I pass up grammy humor...Glad you had a great time (and you almost hooked up to boot!)

F

LittleB
07-31-06, 12:14 PM
:histeric: AHAHAHAHHA! That was funny.

Speedy are you in any of those pics?

gdwriter
07-31-06, 01:42 PM
A few pictures:) , I'm in the Pink family:rant2: !
Color coded families. I love it! :histeric:

I think the last time I went to a family reunion was in 1977 when I was 11. It was all my Mom's family. She has two brothers and a sister (who I still keep in touch with), plus her Dad (who died in 1963) had three sisters and a brother, all of whom I got to know growing up and was fortunate enough to know as an adult. The last of my great uncles died last year, but my great aunt is still around, and my Mom goes to see her regularly.

Sadly, I have little contact with my extended family beyond a favorite aunt, my grandmother and my step-grandmother. I have a handful of cousins, but was only close to the one who's my age when we were growing up. She lives in Florida, but I keep track of her through her mom, my favorite aunt.

On the other hand, my two sisters and I are extremely close, despite the fact that we're scattered across the country. And I adore my sisters' kids. My two elder nieces and their Dad are coming to Oregon next week, and I can hardly wait.

For the past couple of years, my immediate family has gathered at my younger sister's house in Omaha for Christmas since her twins' birthday is December 26. Those family reunions are lots of fun, although there's not nearly as much booze as was at yours. Although last year, my older sister and I polished off a couple of bottles of wine while we wrapped a pile of Christmas presents. The latter ones got a bit sloppy, I must say.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

SpeedyArizona
07-31-06, 03:13 PM
Speedy are you in any of those pics?

No but my cousin is sending me some that he took (I'm in a few). I'll try to upload those when I get 'em.

Color coded families. I love it!

Wasn't my idea:rant2: .

I think the last time I went to a family reunion was in 1977 when I was 11. It was all my Mom's family. She has two brothers and a sister (who I still keep in touch with), plus her Dad (who died in 1963) had three sisters and a brother, all of whom I got to know growing up and was fortunate enough to know as an adult. The last of my great uncles died last year, but my great aunt is still around, and my Mom goes to see her regularly.

Doesn't seem like you have a large extended family or do you just not keep in touch?

LittleB
07-31-06, 03:47 PM
No but my cousin is sending me some that he took (I'm in a few). I'll try to upload those when I get 'em.

Awesome :thumbsup:

gdwriter
07-31-06, 05:13 PM
Doesn't seem like you have a large extended family or do you just not keep in touch?
My parents are from New Hampshire, but I grew up in Texas where my Dad was stationed in the Air Force. So I only saw my cousins rarely and we never kept in touch. I was close to my grandparents and my Mom's aunts when they were alive, though. One great aunt was a world traveler and a profilic letter writer; she helped me buy my first house. I still miss her letters.

As I said before, my sisters and I are all very close. Plus, I have four incredible friends that I've adopted as brothers. So I consider myself very fortunate in the friends and family department.

I've always thought this would be a great quote for a familly reunion invitation:

"Friends come and go, but relatives are forever."

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg