: New Towing Hitch

Aurora By Olds
07-30-06, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know what the largest class towing hitch is available for the 1995 Aurora? I am looking to buy one soon, and would like to put a class III on if at all possible/available. Also, where is a good place to order one from (self install).

Also, what is the best way to add in a harness for trailer lights? I am obviously only looking to add in a 4 pin connector, but is there a place already available to add one in, or do I need to cut/splice?

I will also be adding in an external AT and probably oil cooler, just to take the strain off of the radiator, as I plan to tow a rather large load across the country. Thanks for the input.

krimson_cardnal
07-30-06, 01:32 PM
Class II would be my guess. Try these:

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT

http://www.reese-hitches.com/

I would suggest auto-hubs and large wheels - no baby wheels...

Elmer Fudd
07-30-06, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know what the largest class towing hitch is available for the 1995 Aurora? I am looking to buy one soon, and would like to put a class III on if at all possible/available. Also, where is a good place to order one from (self install).

Also, what is the best way to add in a harness for trailer lights? I am obviously only looking to add in a 4 pin connector, but is there a place already available to add one in, or do I need to cut/splice?

I will also be adding in an external AT and probably oil cooler, just to take the strain off of the radiator, as I plan to tow a rather large load across the country. Thanks for the input.

With the $$ you spend on the hitch, oil and trannny coolers you could just rent a pickup or SUV one way and tow it. (let your wife drive the car).

Aurora By Olds
07-31-06, 07:32 PM
With the $$ you spend on the hitch, oil and trannny coolers you could just rent a pickup or SUV one way and tow it. (let your wife drive the car).

I plan on using the hitch for a while, so it would be nice to just get it now.
AND, I may be dumb enough to tow a huge trailer with a not so huge vehicle, but im not dumb enough to have a wife yet :-D Just Kidding

Aurora By Olds
07-31-06, 09:20 PM
Ok, so I bought a hitch, and im in the process of looking for AT coolers, and I need some input.
I dont know whether I want to disconnect the AT and oil cooler hoses from the radiator completely and just put in a big ass cooler for each, or splice the coolers in the line coming from the radiator.
Towing 3500 lbs from MI to FL isnt going to be easy on anything in that car, so I want the best cooling possible, without going below operating temp.
I may just be going overbeard here, but I also dont want to ruin anything.
What do you guys think?

Elmer Fudd
07-31-06, 09:59 PM
Well since you asked opinions I'll give my 2 cents:

1) MI to FL?? Go due south from Toledo, thru Dayton, Cincinatti, and then...either via Lexington or Louisville towards Atlanta. The Lexington rout will be shorter but there are a couple big mountains to pull up, especially just north of Knoxville. Louisville and the Nashville route to Birmingham will aviod you most of the serious appilacian mountains. Once in Birmingham or Atlanta it is paper flat to FL. If you draw a straigth line from MI to FL you will get there quicker, but the mountains are steep and winding....especially in West Virginia.....(don't go thru West Virginia)

2) What kind of trailer?? If it is relatively low to the ground (like a bass boat or another vehicle) this is going to be easier than you may think. Crusing with a trailer the extra load on the tow vehicle is marginal really. It is mostly whatever extra wind drag the trailer makes. If it is not too much taller than your car, the car is pushing the air out of the way anyhow. It is acceleration and steep hills where the load comes in. The Aurora may not look that big, but it is a pretty heavy car.

3) Don't forget stopping?? Does this trailer have electric or inertial brakes?? At 3500 pounds behind a car I think it should. Not being able to pull the trailer fast is an inconvience, but not being able to stop in time is are REAL bummer......

4) as always, check the owners manual and do what it says under "towing"

GL...you'll be fine:bouncy:

JimD
08-01-06, 06:04 AM
Extra cooling will be good insurance. However, do not pull anything at highway speeds with the gear selector in "D". Run with the selector in "3" to avoid the heat buildup as the transmission hunts and shifts in and out of torque converter lockup.

Slight penalty in fuel economy.

chevelle
08-04-06, 12:00 AM
Keep the trans cooler in the radiator. Cut one of the trans cooler lines and splice the auxilary cooler into the circuit in series with the radiator in-tank cooler. Either one of the lines is fine as it really doesn't matter if you use the aux cooler before or after the radiator in-tank cooler. Use good clamps and rubber hose for the splice that is designed for high pressure and oil. A good thing to do to make the splices bulletproof (since you are just cutting the tubing and will not have a ridge in the pipe to retain the hose) is to double clamp the hose and add a third clamp to the cooler line placed directly onto the metal tubing. Then safety wire the hose clamps on the hose to the anchor clamp on the pipe so that the hose cannot be pushed off the pipe in the absence of a retention barb or ridge.

Run the trans in 3rd gear ALL THE TIME while towing something that heavy. The trans will run cooler this way and avoid excess load and shifting. Running in 3 will not hurt anything at all except the fuel economy a little but much better to use a little more gas than smoke the trans.

The engine oil is going to run pretty warm towing something that heavy for that far. Keep the speeds down (now is not the time to cruise at 80 on the interstate) to keep the loads down to minimize oil temp. It would be good to change the oil just before you leave and then after you arrive to get fresh oil back in the engine after the oil has been run hot continuously during the tow. Just good preventive maintenance in case the oil gets hotter than you expect.

Aurora By Olds
08-04-06, 01:52 PM
The trailer does have intertial brakes, and it is rather tall, but I dont think it will be a problem towing it. I decided to add in a trans cooler (7.5in x 17in) in the return line to the trans. I think that will definitly keep it cool enough. I also want to add in an engine oil cooler (same size) just because the pressure tends to drop off anyway when it gets hot and is in traffic, so I dont think it could hurt anything.
Does anyone know what size lines the oil cooler lines are? I am hoping they are probably 3/8" rubber hose as well that can be spliced just like trans lines. I want to do the same thing with the oil cooler as I did with the trans cooler. With these two coupled together, I dont think I will have much for heat problems

chevelle
08-04-06, 01:58 PM
Good plan but be sure to heed the advice about towing in manual 3 gear even with all the coolers. The internal transmission temps can skyrocket locally inside the trans even with external cooling without you even knowing it. It is important with a load like that to keep the engine rpm up so as to not lug or load the torque converter itself too much.

Aurora By Olds
08-05-06, 10:47 AM
Good plan but be sure to heed the advice about towing in manual 3 gear even with all the coolers. The internal transmission temps can skyrocket locally inside the trans even with external cooling without you even knowing it. It is important with a load like that to keep the engine rpm up so as to not lug or load the torque converter itself too much.

I do plan on towing in 3rd, unless for some reason this trailer is super easy to tow and 3rd isnt needed, but I dont forsee that. Between going and stopping the drivetrain is going to get a workout, so im going to try to protect it as best as possible.
The only hangup I have right now is finding out the ID of the oil cooler hoses before I tear into it next week....

davesdeville
08-06-06, 05:52 AM
It seems like a good plan to run the extra cooler after the radiator cooler. It also would seem prudent to get a trans temp gauge...

09-20-06, 09:55 PM
I'm thinking of adding a class II hitch to my 98 Cadiilac Deville too.
Do I need to add the oil cooler? I heard Deville with towing package can pull 3900 lbs and 1000 lbs if no towing package. What parts need I add to my deville if I want to change it to a "towing Package" car?
Thanks!

wydopnthrtl
09-21-06, 09:57 AM
I'm thinking of adding a class II hitch to my 98 Cadiilac Deville too.
Do I need to add the oil cooler? I heard Deville with towing package can pull 3900 lbs and 1000 lbs if no towing package. What parts need I add to my deville if I want to change it to a "towing Package" car?
Thanks!

Change the fluid more often and add a cooler *after* the radiator.

Changing the fluid is the most important thing you can possibly do. Next, adding a cooler after the rad allows the fluid to get up to temp quicker and it also keeps it more consistant. Do not disconnect it and run a cooler only. You want that fluid temp as consistant as is reasonable.

If you hook it up in this manner you can buy just about any medium sized "stacked plate" cooler that suits you.

Rich

Mark Bunds
09-27-06, 08:57 PM
Beware, though, and be ready to give your N* plenty of breaks when climbing, no matter what kind of cooling measures you take. My 2001 STS did not take kindly to the grades we had to run through in Utah when we moved to Vegas from Ohio, and those were really not major grades! My console gave me every possible warning you can get from the engine and transmission during one particularly grueling climb, and I was pulling the second smallest trailer U-Haul rents, with barely 1500 lbs loaded! I had plenty of power, but this car is not meant to pull up steep grades for extended periods. You'll see...

10-16-06, 07:42 PM
Change the fluid more often and add a cooler *after* the radiator.

Changing the fluid is the most important thing you can possibly do. Next, adding a cooler after the rad allows the fluid to get up to temp quicker and it also keeps it more consistant. Do not disconnect it and run a cooler only. You want that fluid temp as consistant as is reasonable.

If you hook it up in this manner you can buy just about any medium sized "stacked plate" cooler that suits you.

Rich

Do I need a engine oil cooler? Thanks again!

10-16-06, 07:44 PM
Beware, though, and be ready to give your N* plenty of breaks when climbing, no matter what kind of cooling measures you take. My 2001 STS did not take kindly to the grades we had to run through in Utah when we moved to Vegas from Ohio, and those were really not major grades! My console gave me every possible warning you can get from the engine and transmission during one particularly grueling climb, and I was pulling the second smallest trailer U-Haul rents, with barely 1500 lbs loaded! I had plenty of power, but this car is not meant to pull up steep grades for extended periods. You'll see...
Do you have a towing package? Did you install any cooler? Thanks!

krimson_cardnal
10-17-06, 10:01 AM
This is a really informative thread! Thanks to all K_C

WoodShoe
11-05-06, 08:38 AM
I pull a trailer with mine all the time, with no towing packages. (its a 2500lb Jetboat) I hauled it pretty much every weekend last season, and have not had a single problem with the car...Ive done some WOTS in it too :hide: ...funny thing is, it still spanks cars while towing a boat...the look on peoples faces is worth any damage i have caused to the car lol...jk, i have not had a single problem with it, like i said. so IMO u have nothing to worry about while towing....although I have not had the opportunity to take it up extended hill climbs or anything like that..............

dkozloski
11-05-06, 10:39 AM
There used to be a commercial on TV of a Lamborghini towing a U-Haul. The best part was the audio.

dp102288
11-05-06, 11:29 AM
Maybe its me, but I wouldn't risk it. There are tons of truck rental companies around me, so I guess i don't have an excuse.

WoodShoe
11-06-06, 08:48 AM
In canada car/truck rental companies are 100% against towing of any kind.

N0DIH
11-08-06, 12:24 AM
That is why I have my Fleetwood V4P, it is rated to tow 7000#....

Now we can go back to the horsepower/torque article... :)

I haven't had more than 1000 lbs behind mine and never even noticed it existed. I need to ditch the wimpy Class II hitch and get me a Class IV. We are moving soon and I will be using a 6x12 trailer behind it loaded.