: Normal Oil Consumption ???

codewize
07-29-06, 11:07 PM
01 DTS - What is it? Is a quart every 1200 miles or so to much? How low is it when it's at the bottom of the crossthatch on the stick?

I changed the oil at 32k and the 'Check Oil Level' came on at 34k seems to me like that a lot of oil used in 2000 miles, no?

dkozloski
07-30-06, 12:38 AM
A series of WOT blasts sometimes improves oil consumption. See the FAQ's.

JimD
07-30-06, 05:31 AM
01 DTS - What is it? Is a quart every 1200 miles or so to much? How low is it when it's at the bottom of the crossthatch on the stick?

I changed the oil at 32k and the 'Check Oil Level' came on at 34k seems to me like that a lot of oil used in 2000 miles, no?

How much oil did you pour in at the change? The capacity is 7.5 quarts with a fresh (empty) filter.

The dipstick is calibrated for "hot" oil.

Your 'Check Oil Level' message appears when the level is approximately 2 quarts low.

Frost
07-30-06, 06:50 AM
Do some WOTS - I was going through a quart every thousand miles and my problem was the driving i was doing - mostly stop and go city, rarley getting it out on the highway for a good, long, boot.

Then this year, my job changes and now I am on the highway twice a day. Plus, I have discovered the joys of WOTS - and I haven't had to put any oil in my car all season ( have driven 4,000 miles so far this year)

codewize
07-30-06, 08:57 AM
Ok I did put in 7.5 quarts, LOL of total stuff. That would be 6.5 of 5W-30 and 1 quart of Lucas which I will no longer do after the recommendations on the N*.

I am driving a lot of stop-and-go lately and have been driving the car nicely as it has to last me another 30 months.

I'll fill it up today and reset the trip odometer run the car a bit on the Hi-Way and check it frequently to see what the deal is in another 1000 or so.

Yeah I like the WOT too there's just not many good places to do it.

Ranger
07-30-06, 10:11 PM
If you fill it to the MAX mark, that is overfilled and the crankshaft counter weights will mist the oil and it will get sucked throught the PCV valve and thus exaserbate the oil consumption. One qt. at the ADD mark is all you need. Two qts. when it drops off the dipstick or when the CHECK OIL LEVEL message comes on. The message will apear just about the time that the level drops off the dipstick.

codewize
07-30-06, 10:35 PM
Really? So somewhere halfway up the cross-thatching is correct? Frig I wish I knew that before I filled it.

Ya know nothing is simple with the N*. All the rules have changed. So it's like a 1/2 quart higher than it should be?

Thanks so much. Does it tell you that in the manual anywhere?

If you fill it to the MAX mark, that is overfilled and the crankshaft counter weights will mist the oil and it will get sucked throught the PCV valve and thus exaserbate the oil consumption. One qt. at the ADD mark is all you need. Two qts. when it drops off the dipstick or when the CHECK OIL LEVEL message comes on. The message will apear just about the time that the level drops off the dipstick.

JohnnyO
07-31-06, 10:13 AM
Up to 1 quart per 1000 miles is considered "normal" by GM. I always put in 7.0 quarts when I change the oil and filter and add as necessary. Letter I have from GM says that for normal use you don't have to add any oil until the Low Oil light comes on.

thu
07-31-06, 01:02 PM
I'm at the 10,000 mile mark on my oil. I've added two quarts so far. At oil change time, six quarts of 5w-30 and one quart of 10w-30 were used.

Before that, seven quarts of 5w-30 were in the crankcase and it was using about 1 qt every 1000 miles, IIRC.

codewize
07-31-06, 03:39 PM
So you're saying that 10W-30 should result in less oil consumption. Well that makes sense. I did use 5W-30 at the last change.

I'm at the 10,000 mile mark on my oil. I've added two quarts so far. At oil change time, six quarts of 5w-30 and one quart of 10w-30 were used.

Before that, seven quarts of 5w-30 were in the crankcase and it was using about 1 qt every 1000 miles, IIRC.

thu
07-31-06, 03:59 PM
Yes. That one quart of 10w-30 was added by accident. After that, I noticed that the oil consumption dropped from 1qt/1000mi to 1qt/4000mi.

Fuel economy was unaffected.

JohnnyO
07-31-06, 04:14 PM
Adding one quart of 10w-30 to six of 5w-30 won't make much difference in viscosity I would think, but whatever works for you. In the past I checked with The One Whose Name We Dare Not Speak about running 10w-30 in the '04 and he said it would be fine, although maybe with slightly less gas mileage. The '99 takes 10w-30 and I was simply looking at getting 3 jugs of the same Mobil 1 to get 15 quarts since both were due at the same time.

Ranger
07-31-06, 04:53 PM
Codewise,
No, I don't think that the manual says anything like what I told you. I believe it simply says 7.5 qts. I use 7 at oil change (it's easier). Next time you do a change, take note of where the level is at 7.5 qts.

JohnnyO,
I also asked the Guru about 10W30 in an '02. He said the same thing. I believe he even said that the fuel milage improvement with 5W30 would not be noticable without instrumentation.

codewize
07-31-06, 10:40 PM
Ok, Next oil change I'll be adding pure 10W-30. I will add 7.5 quarts and mark the stick with something. Maybe a little awl or a stroke of the hack saw blade. Then I'll know.

I have to tell you that I think with the Lucas in there my mileage went down. It's difficult to know when my driving patterns change all the time but that's my thought.

Frost
08-01-06, 08:49 AM
Really?

Gee, I use LUCAS in the synthetic oil, ATF and now their UCL product. I've never noticed anything detrimental about it,,,,,,,but as a previous poster sez,,to each their own

codewize
08-01-06, 12:27 PM
Oh I have nothing against Lucas. I run it in all my cars. It's just that in another thread somewhere around here someone said something about it foaming up and causing problems.

Then pointed out the fact that GM ran the N* for days at WOT with 10W30 in it and nothing happened. So why do I feel the need to add something to the oil. I sort of agreed and decided that I would ditch the additives from now on in this car. **Shrug**

Really?

Gee, I use LUCAS in the synthetic oil, ATF and now their UCL product. I've never noticed anything detrimental about it,,,,,,,but as a previous poster sez,,to each their own

unruley247
08-05-06, 10:09 PM
I use lucas every blue moon but, have never notice gas mpg decrease and i go the same way everyday. other than that it 10w30 castrol

codewize
08-05-06, 11:34 PM
Well the mileage thing might be my driving habits. My routes and habits change all the time.

unruley247
08-05-06, 11:52 PM
That'll do it

97slsMI
08-20-06, 09:14 PM
Read and learn

What about Additives? (http://bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm)

Elmer Fudd
08-21-06, 09:39 AM
Well I have 10w30 and Lucas in mine now. Seem,s to have quietd the lifter tick some. Next time I think I will try pure Rotella 15-w40, as some have reccomended. The dealer said heavy oil (even up to 50W) in engines over 100,000 mi. is just fine....said they do it all the time to get pressure back.

krimson_cardnal
08-21-06, 12:13 PM
rotella 15w40 is like realizing you need glasses... my old DeVille can stand the "extra body" it gives the system. after last oil change it finally fell off the stick at 65% oil life. that's actually two q down. added a q to get into the hatch.

Rotella-A/C Filter - go by the % oil life.... lifeisgood

codewize
09-08-06, 12:31 PM
Ok sometime after this thread started I added some Lucas Tune-up in a bottle fuel system treatment.

I did some WOT, ran the car pretty good over the next couple days and my oil consumption seems to have decreased to about 1 qt per 2200 miles.

It was at the top of the cross-thatching when I started measuring and now it's at the bottom of the cross-thatching about 2200 miles later.

Is that a quart or 2 quarts?

krimson_cardnal
09-08-06, 04:18 PM
that would be one quart - off the stick would be two quarts - i do believe

by-the-way, why would you think a fuel additive would effect oil consumption??

K_C

codewize
09-08-06, 05:41 PM
Fuel additive cleans the entire combustion chamber, right? Carbon build up on rings will cause high oil consumption, which is the same reason why WOT often fixes the issue.

I don't know where else build up would affect oil usage but that's the part I do know.

krimson_cardnal
09-08-06, 07:45 PM
interesting correlation - I always saw them as cleaning the things the raw fuel mix touched, carb internals [if ya got 'em], fuel injectors, TB, even manifold interior, and I guess - until it all combusts - cylinder internals.

Think it's near as effective as the GM reccomended cleanzing? I've been lead to believe that damage to the injectors might result from the use of those additives. You've heard it - Snake Oil in a bottle......

How did that WOT go after the Lucas? More blowing out the back than normal?
K_C

codewize
09-08-06, 11:18 PM
I guess I never understood the Snake Oil correlation. How can fuel additives hurt the injectors. It's not like you do it all the time.

I didn't notice anything out the back but I worked it out so as soon as I put it in I was getting on the hi-way and driving 80 or so for an hour straight.

During that trip I would WOT for a bit then back off, yo know the normal hi-way playing.

Ranger
09-09-06, 01:32 AM
Fuel additives are harsh solvents and thus they can destroy the varnish insulation on the windings in the injectors and the fuel pumps.

codewize
09-09-06, 02:08 PM
Ok well did I hurt anything by using a couple oz in 20 gals of fuel one time?

It certainly did what it was supposed to do.

I mean is this like a never never do this, or is it more of a don't do it once a month.

Ranger
09-09-06, 05:12 PM
If you used it at the recommended concentration you probably did no harm. I would not make it a steady diet though.