: Have you rented a DVD Movie like this.....

MJDART
07-29-06, 09:30 PM
I read a review in this mornings paper, my local supermarket has a DVD rental Kiosk. My market Publix has this machine about as big as a soda vending machine. You slide in your Debit or credit card and a menu ops up. Pick a DVD by genre or alphabetically. The DVD movie pops out the front of the machine in a small red plastic case. You bring it home and watch it, bring it back to the machine, slide it in the slot it came out from originally and your card is charged $1.00, bring it back a day later and its $2.00 and so on. The machine has pretty much all the latest titles.

Rolex
07-29-06, 09:43 PM
Interesting. I wonder with all these emerging "alternative" ways to rent flicks, how long will the Blockbuster stores [and the like] be able to tolerate it financially? I say Blockbuster recently tried to match these guys with a no late fee gimmick. My wife rents movies online occasionally, but I don't believe we're obligated to any monthly fees or anything. It seems to work out okay.

I have just recently rented two technical DVDs that should arrive some time this week. I fully intend to burn copies of these disks as soon as they arrive, and send them directly back. :hide: The total charges to rent these DVD technical manuals was less than $20. It sould have cost me about $80 to buy them.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
07-30-06, 06:36 AM
Last I heard Blockbuster were getting into financial difficulty due to the internet based companies that post out DVD's to you (9.99 per month for having up to 3 DVDs at any one time).
There was a rumour Apple could be interested in doing a deal with them to have servers installed in the stores that let you download a movie to your video iPod. Personally I don't see it happening...

black93sts
07-30-06, 02:30 PM
Blockbuster rent's DVD out online now too just like Netflix. Personally, I just go to Blockbuster and they usually have what I want. I could see using Netflix if I lived out in the country or in a big city with no blockbusters; but there's a blockbuster store less than a mile from my house...so...

NolaBoy
07-30-06, 03:14 PM
I have never rented with netflix. I read that customers were having issues with them. Primarily the ones that frequently rented alot of movies on a frequent basis. It seemed like the more they rented the lower priority customer they became, i.e. not getting titles the wanted when they wanted...I dont know. Any truth to this

Jesda
07-30-06, 03:32 PM
With cheap bandwidth and growing storage, movies will soon go the way of music. Click and enjoy.

Caddy Man
07-30-06, 03:50 PM
I tried Blockbusters mail service, and they never seemed to have the movies I wanted to see. I guess if you want new releases its good, but I was tryin to rent Batman (1989), Ghostbusters and things like that, and there was like a 2 week wait for all that. Retarded IMO. Id rather just go to the store.

Jesda
07-30-06, 04:12 PM
Also, when I'm at Blockbuster alone I feel like a huge loser.

black93sts
07-30-06, 08:50 PM
Also, when I'm at Blockbuster alone I feel like a huge loser.

What? Why?:confused:
I feel like a loser if I go to the movie theater by myself, but not blockbuster...

davesdeville
08-01-06, 06:53 AM
I rent movies maybe 3 or 4 times a year. For this I just go to my local blockbuster. Bothering with any of the online stuff seems pointless. Although the movie vending machine seems pretty cool - but it seems like it would have to be physically HUGE to just fit a decent selection (I could care less about new movies I want GOOD classics.)

MJDART
08-03-06, 01:34 PM
Update: time to return movies, first you insert swipe your card. Menu pops up on touch screen "Rent or Return" DVD. I select return, and the 2 DVDs I rented day befor show on screen. Both were rented at 17:01 day previously. I prompts me to insert DVD to return. I do, it recognizes the DVD, displays $1.00 fee and 6% sale tax for a total of $1.06. I repeat on second DVD toal charged $2.12 Very very Good!

My son borrowed card yeaterday and rented a couple more - pleased so far. I can't even begin to guess how many DVD's it hold but I guess 500 or more would be possible.