: LOL, my server died.

Jesda
07-29-06, 06:47 PM
Bastards at surpass hosting, who host q45.org and jgulati.com and various other sites of mine (and some members here at CF), screwed up a hard drive upgrade and lost everything.

Worst of all, I lost my photos from my Route 66 drive and my visit to the Reagan Library. Fortunately, I saved a lot of other things locally and have an old (OLD) copy of Q45.org laying around.

This is lame. They offered a pathetic free month of hosting!! I demanded a refund for two years of service.

AlBundy
07-29-06, 07:16 PM
Bastards at surpass hosting, who host q45.org and jgulati.com and various other sites of mine (and some members here at CF), screwed up a hard drive upgrade and lost everything.

Worst of all, I lost my photos from my Route 66 drive and my visit to the Reagan Library. Fortunately, I saved a lot of other things locally and have an old (OLD) copy of Q45.org laying around.

This is lame. They offered a pathetic free month of hosting!! I demanded a refund for two years of service.

Dam that sucks. I hope the refund comes through. Don't let them weasel out of it.:want: Stick to your guns.

slk230mb
07-29-06, 07:36 PM
Ouch.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-29-06, 10:55 PM
your server died? man , thats gotta ruin your dining experence .....id say tip the family of the victim ...

any word yet on how she died ? she didnt keel over in your soup did she?

well , id say you wont see this sort of thing if you ate a a decent restruant like hooters or winghouse ....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-29-06, 11:41 PM
your server died? man , thats gotta ruin your dining experence .....id say tip the family of the victim ...

LOL!!!!

I just hope she didn't go rigor mortis when you were dining. That would just ruin my appetite.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-29-06, 11:50 PM
the only other type of stiffy that would ruin dinner

gdwriter
07-30-06, 12:33 AM
Well, that explains why all the car show pictures I had hosted there are gone and why I couldn't upload anything.

Fortunately, I have everything backed up; I just have to upload it again once you get the domain back up and running.

Did the storms and power outages in St. Louis have anything to do with your server's death?

On a related note, I helped kill a router at work last week when our IT person in the Portland office told me to unplug it and plug it back in. It started to smoke after that, so I unplugged it, and we had to order another one. I was told later that it was already dying, so I'm only guilty of assisted suicide (which is legal in Oregon). Call me the Dr. Kevorkian of electronics.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
07-30-06, 06:27 AM
I own a medium - large sized hosting company.
Always, always make backups.

I imagine you were hosted on a shared server?
They should have made a backup before they upgraded the drive however I imagine their contract protects them from data loss (I know mine do).

Might be worth looking for another hosting company, maybe pay a little more to get a more professional service (there are so many one or two man bands out there often even run by kids part time). The number of customers who call us complaining about bad service from one of our cut price competitors saying they want a better servcie and then balk when we tell them our service costs more... "But they only charge £xx, you want almost xx% more!" . Yes, but our service works, is backed up, we have on-site engineers who know that they're doing and we don't use cheapo home built servers you numbnut...

Jesda
07-30-06, 08:36 AM
I own a medium - large sized hosting company.
Always, always make backups.

I imagine you were hosted on a shared server?
They should have made a backup before they upgraded the drive however I imagine their contract protects them from data loss (I know mine do).

Yep, I'm pretty sure the contract says that, and yes it was a shared server. A few others were affected by the upgrade, including a friend of mine.

I might go with Sal's hosting service, because if something is screwy I can just harass him here. https://www.securepaynet.net/gdshop/hosting/landing.asp?prog_id=madisonross&ci=1782&se=%2B

Can I see a list of your prices for shared hosting? Thanks.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-06, 09:38 AM
I might go with Sal's hosting service, because if something is screwy I can just harass him here. https://www.securepaynet.net/gdshop/hosting/landing.asp?prog_id=madisonross&ci=1782&se=%2B

Hahahah you would Jesda.

codewize
07-30-06, 09:52 AM
I offer very dependable hosting where we don't loose data at very reasonable rates :)

www.webspundesigns.com (http://www.webspundesigns.com)

If you have questions about the service or the network, fire away.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
07-31-06, 11:49 AM
Yep, I'm pretty sure the contract says that, and yes it was a shared server. A few others were affected by the upgrade, including a friend of mine.

Can I see a list of your prices for shared hosting? Thanks.

You'd be better off with a US one for a few reasons:

1) It'll be slightly quicker as you have a mainly US audience for your stuff.
2) It'll be cheaper. The exchange rate is not in your favcour at the moment and US stuff is always cheaper anyways (ever hear of rip-off Britain?)

However, if you get stuff email me and I'll sort you out with "mates rates".
You'll be looking at $50 - $100 per year depending on what you want.

Kev
07-31-06, 09:06 PM
It's situations like these that make back-ups a joy! They are never fun to set up or manage but they are highly praised when needed.

It's inconceivable that a professional hosting company would attempt a server hard drive replacement containing client data without first creating a verified back up or disk image. If you were saving money with them you now know why...... :crying: :nono:

Those incompetent boobs! :rant2: