: Windshield Washers

ssstealth
07-28-06, 07:49 PM
ok, I'm hoping that one of the GM service personnel that post here have an answer for this.

Why is it that the CTS, DTS, and the STS have windsheild washers that atomize the fluid across the whole windsheild and the V (and only the V) has the cheap nozzles that shoot 2 streams across the bottom 1/4 of the glass?

And Yes, I went to the dealer and made them shoot the ones on a standard STS to prove that I wasn't just imagining things.

Is the fiberglass hood too thick for the other nozzles? Is this going to be fixed? And just what the hell was wrong with mounting them in the wiper arms? My Fleetwood has this and it works great, and doesn't spray fluid across the hood.

Sorry for the rant... I thing the $75K pricetag warrants a decent nozzle... maybe that's just me.

On the other hand, if you haven't watched the headlight washers yet, get somebody to hit them for you... Very cool!

V-Beach
07-29-06, 11:23 PM
And where is the heads up display?

03aleroj
07-31-06, 02:48 AM
I noticed how it only sprays on half of the windshield also.. didnt know the others went accross the whole windsheild as I have never really driven one

03aleroj
07-31-06, 02:49 AM
Forgot to add, the headlamp washers are really cool, I agree. I would also like to know whats wrong with putting the nozels on the arm like the older cars.. all the newer cars got them on the hood.. purpose please?

ssstealth
07-31-06, 02:00 PM
Good News! Maybe...

I took the car into the service department this morning and they looked it up for me. The washer nozzle design WAS changed on V models built after 4/25/06. They have ordered me a set with the new design.

Stay tuned... I will report on how well they work.

03aleroj
07-31-06, 04:58 PM
Great, I hope they work out, let me know maybe I can get them to order me some to. Good to know GM is aware of the issue.. still makes me wounder why the hell they couldnt just use the same nozels as on the regular STS. Only diffrence would be something to do with the fiber glass hood right?

ssstealth
07-31-06, 05:16 PM
That's all I can figure without looking at it. Since they are heated, they are more complex than just a regular Auto Zone nozzle.

The redesign tells me that they patched something together to get some units out the door. The parts guy said they are $51 each. I thought before today that the fluid was heated at the tank instead of at the nozzle.

The dealer was unaware of the difference too until I pointed it out. They were not impressed either.

03aleroj
08-01-06, 01:36 AM
Thats right.. I forgot about about the heating. I thought it was the tank that was heated to prevent freezing, but if its the nozel that explains why they are diffrent, but dosen't the regular STS have the heated, is it an option? Or isnt it avaiable at all?

ssstealth
08-05-06, 07:37 PM
The results are in! Although still not perfect, the new design nozzle does a MUCH better job of covering the windshield. Cost of replacing them with the post April 15th design was covered by warranty.

P-Funk
08-08-06, 05:07 PM
The results are in! Although still not perfect, the new design nozzle does a MUCH better job of covering the windshield. Cost of replacing them with the post April 15th design was covered by warranty.

Just curious, but I am assuming that you still have the nozzles on the hood (just inoperable)?

ssstealth
08-08-06, 11:29 PM
No, they removed the nozzles in the hood and replaced them with different nozzles in the same place. From inside the car, they look exactly the same but the spray pattern is much different.