: brakes pulsating

malcolm
07-28-06, 07:16 PM
I have about 16K on my 05 STS and the brakes pulsate when stopping and it's noticable to passangers. My son, who works for Saturn thinks I need breaks, I said this soon!! Then I realized, I have no idea when brakes should be done. I am a little hard on the pedal at times. I seem to think they should be good for at least 30K. Am I nuts?:alchi:

RedGalant2k1
07-28-06, 07:21 PM
Have the car inspected first.

Sounds like the rotors are out of round (warped) and need to be resurfaced. Though many people have had to replace pads and rotors at 16,000 miles on the STS

malcolm
07-28-06, 07:36 PM
Good idea. Could the rotors have gotten warped when the tires were rotated. I have the same size on all 4 corners and last oil change the dealer rotated. I'm wondering if the mechanic wacked them down with the impact wrench and caused it???

RedGalant2k1
07-28-06, 08:09 PM
Good idea. Could the rotors have gotten warped when the tires were rotated. I have the same size on all 4 corners and last oil change the dealer rotated. I'm wondering if the mechanic wacked them down with the impact wrench and caused it???

Well, hold on before blaming a mechanic who would have most likely used a torque limiter extension on his impact, then likely hand torqued the wheels on the ground.

Its more likely just from being overheated during their life.

How long ago were they rotated?

malcolm
07-28-06, 09:37 PM
Well, hold on before blaming a mechanic who would have most likely used a torque limiter extension on his impact, then likely hand torqued the wheels on the ground.

Its more likely just from being overheated during their life.

How long ago were they rotated?
Couple thousand miles ago.
When I wrote that I was aftaid it would read like I was ragging on the mechanic. The guys at the service dept where I go are the best.:worship: I know the book says to torque but can understand if that proceedure isn't always followed. Either way a warped rotor sounds like warranty??? I hope??? I suppose if I do need pads, cutting should true them up. No matter, it's still a great car.:highfive:

RedGalant2k1
07-28-06, 09:41 PM
Couple thousand miles ago.
When I wrote that I was aftaid it would read like I was ragging on the mechanic. The guys at the service dept where I go are the best.:worship: I know the book says to torque but can understand if that proceedure isn't always followed. Either way a warped rotor sounds like warranty??? I hope??? I suppose if I do need pads, cutting should true them up. No matter, it's still a great car.:highfive:

I would hope at 16,000miles something, if not everything would be covered, but then I'm not a dealership, or GM. Good luck!!

AmericanMuscle
08-06-06, 01:18 PM
I'll bet that the wheels were not torqued properly. Not tightening to spec makes the rotors warp fairly fast. If dealer used pneumatic wrench, you should always check them by hand afterwards. I have over 60 K miles on mine and have no pulsations or problems whatsoever.