: you'll like this

AirJigga25
07-27-06, 01:57 PM
I know a lot of you are GM/American car brand guys and here is some fodder for your arguments..

i thought you'd all like to know about the current status of my 03 Honda Accord coupe.

THE SEAT HEATER is STUCK on and it has been frying my ass for the last 4 days. WHAT THE HELL! As if 90 degrees isn't bad enough. I think I'm going to remove the fuse ronight and then take it to the dealership. The electronic drivers side doorlock just broke a few days ago too. Gotta go to the dealership....:( the thing has 54k on the clock.

proceed to bash... :stirpot: :thepan:

Spyder
07-27-06, 02:09 PM
HAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I only get to laugh because I drive a truck with leather seats and its a hundred and fifteen out and I don't have A/C. Otherwise, I'd have sympathy for you! Good luck on getting it fixed! Still under warranty? :)

gary88
07-27-06, 02:38 PM
Well at least you're getting good gas mileage! :bouncy:

Elvis
07-27-06, 02:39 PM
I don't know what's worse, the fact that the damn thing is broken, or that it's taken you four days to figure out all you need to do is pull a fuse? :hitstick:

Rey Rey 650
07-27-06, 04:19 PM
Heard hot seats give you hemroids....

AirJigga25
07-27-06, 04:31 PM
anyways... honda isn't perfect and possibly overrated.

i have the AC on blast and a burning ass...

DBA-One
07-27-06, 05:14 PM
I've had three Accords and never had that problem. oh wait, none had leather or heated seats!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-27-06, 07:47 PM
Too bad Rick's not on here much anymore, he'd have a field day with this thread.

RedGalant2k1
07-27-06, 07:59 PM
At least it doesn't shatter its transmission, the compressor doesn't fail, and the brakes are made with quality materials.

MacKiNBacK
07-27-06, 09:09 PM
Well I guess it's good you get the 10/10000 warranty right? (that is Honda correct?) I couldnt imagine what Hondas would be like if they had all the electronic toys and computers and whatever else that Cadillac's have in them how theyd be.

MacK

RedGalant2k1
07-27-06, 09:18 PM
Well I guess it's good you get the 10/10000 warranty right? (that is Honda correct?) I couldnt imagine what Hondas would be like if they had all the electronic toys and computers and whatever else that Cadillac's have in them how theyd be.

MacK

Hyundai has the 10year/100,000mile warranty.

And Honda's upper level brand Acura has all the features that Cadillacs do, except OnStar.

thebigjimsho
07-27-06, 09:36 PM
I bought an '01 Accord coupe more out of need than want. But I got the options I wanted and even though it was a 4 banger(wanted the manual), it's performance wasn't far off the V6 and it held its own.

When I traded it in for the V 3+ years later, I came to appreciate how good of a car it was and I do miss it somewhat.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-28-06, 12:54 AM
Hondas are good cars, but not in the same way a Cadillac is. An older, four cylinder Accord is nice because it's reliable, simple, efficent, and nothing I'd be too overly concerned with. I wouldn't have to baby it like I do my Cadillac.

CadiJeff
07-28-06, 02:50 AM
Heard hot seats give you hemroids....
naa ya got that backwards
LOL

AirJigga25
07-28-06, 07:57 AM
At least it doesn't shatter its transmission, the compressor doesn't fail, and the brakes are made with quality materials.

you are absolutely correct. Quality car and a fine care. The 3.0 v6 gives me a lot of power especially in the middle gears. but the car is by no means legendary with the little rattles and these 2 recent issues.

AirJigga25
07-28-06, 07:58 AM

MacK

honda has 3 years 36k warranty, that's it. so i will have to pay.

Elvis
07-28-06, 08:49 AM
That one was assembled in America.

My wife had an '83 Volvo that absolutely would not die. No bells or whistles, just basic 4-cylinder transportation with roll-up windows, manual seat, manual transmission. Didn't even have a tape deck until she splurged for one. 175,000 miles.

Her best friend drove the same Civic for 15 years. Same thing, roll-up windows, 4-banger manual transmission. 210,000 miles. No problems until somebody rear-ended it.

My wife got the urge to trade when she saw a new '98 S70. It has EVERYTHING. Wouldn't you know it, it has had something different electrically go wrong on the average of every 10,000 miles since it crossed over the 60,000 mark. It now has 124,000 on the clock. It gets a little frustrating.

Her friend's new Civic doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it, but it's already been back to the shop. Assembled in either Mexico or Canada, I'm not sure.

Electrical gadgets break. They haven't figured out how to prevent that yet. But we're also seeing a decline in build quality. One of the reasons I quit buying Acuras and Hondas was that I couldn't get one that was 100% made in Japan.

codewize
07-28-06, 11:14 AM
I'm just going to sit here and say 'Like I was saying.....'

You'll start seeing that more and more now that other manufacturers are cramming there cars with creature features. Look at the number of comfort and safety systems in any given car and then tell me the percentage of them that you've had an issue with. That's the only fare way to judge reliability.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-28-06, 07:03 PM
Hey, lets ask some JAGUAR owners if we're gonna be talking about electrical problems!

pimpin88
07-28-06, 10:10 PM
how bout the transmissions that lock up and explode in the 00-02 honda oddysses and accords etc. my aunts locked up when she was going 75 on the highway and just blew it to pieces. it was such a force that the car kicked sideways and her and her kids almost got killed because it was trying to rollover.

very nice cars indeed

pimpin88
07-28-06, 10:11 PM
btw, that was an oddyssey

RedGalant2k1
07-28-06, 10:18 PM
how bout the transmissions that lock up and explode in the 00-02 honda oddysses and accords etc. my aunts locked up when she was going 75 on the highway and just blew it to pieces. it was such a force that the car kicked sideways and her and her kids almost got killed because it was trying to rollover.

very nice cars indeed

First I've ever heard about honda transmissions, and I work right next to a honda dealership. Not to mention we put tires on hundreds of accords and odysseys annually with almost no issues whatsoever, and none transmission related.

Heck, we had a technician that worked for Honda for years and he never saw or spoke of this issue. Not saying it doesn't happen, it obviously has, but its very uncommon among Hondas. Now compare that to domestics....its unreal the difference in quality of build.

With all that said, I'd still buy a Cadillac.

pimpin88
07-29-06, 10:15 AM
First I've ever heard about honda transmissions, and I work right next to a honda dealership. Not to mention we put tires on hundreds of accords and odysseys annually with almost no issues whatsoever, and none transmission related.

Heck, we had a technician that worked for Honda for years and he never saw or spoke of this issue. Not saying it doesn't happen, it obviously has, but its very uncommon among Hondas. Now compare that to domestics....its unreal the difference in quality of build.

With all that said, I'd still buy a Cadillac.

you've really never heard of that? thats crazy because we got stuff in the mail from Honda regarding it because we also have a 2000 oddyssey. and i know a few other people who live near me that have had the same problems. not all at highway speeds though. one of them came to a stop, went to leave the stop sign, got about 10 feet and bam. no more tranny.

codewize
07-29-06, 01:09 PM
Now we're talking. This is what I like to hear. :thumbsup:

So why do the Brits drink their beer warm?

Because Lucas Electric make their refrigerators.

pimpin88
07-29-06, 08:36 PM
hahahah. i just have a thing against honda now. especially with our odyssey. its had more problems then our 1992 chevy caprice wagon (102,xxxx mi), 1988 cadillac brougham(195,xxx mi), 1992 buick roadmaster(111,xxx mi), and 1989 geo spectrum combined(80,xxx mi).

how does that work? none of those cars have ever had any problems (knock on wood) lol. our honda has had the egr valve replaced twice already. mind you this car only has 70,xxx miles on it. the sliding doors are constantly screwing up. the interior lights are wacked out. they come on when you take corners. check engine light loves to come on. abs and traction control like to get screwed up, and the transmission doesnt shift when it should and sometimes the tranny will make horrible noises.

so thats my honda story. lol.

codewize
07-30-06, 04:53 PM
Awesome, keep going, please

Caddy Man
07-30-06, 05:17 PM

MacK
umm go look at Acura.

And whoever said Acura has it all except Onstar...correction, Acuras now have Onstar also. I know the RL does for sure.

Jesda
07-30-06, 06:26 PM
My mom's first MDX was a pile. The steering was wobbly, the brakes were never even, and there was a lot of annoying wind and whistling noises. The interior was poorly assembled and some of the switches didnt even go down with the same depth!

Her second MDX (she buys cars regularly from the same salesman who is a rather nice guy) still had the cheapish interior, but the other issues were fixed. Then, she kept getting notices for major transmission recalls and such and decided it was time to move on.

The timing was perfect when a guy in a Saab hit her and she made a nice profit off the insurance, and got herself an ugly but dependable Lexus GX. The GX is shorter too, so parking is a bit easier.

Its all really a shame, because the MDX is otherwise a nice looking and nice-driving on-road SUV. Honda quality has slipped a bit.

Jesda
07-30-06, 06:32 PM

Are you serious? Its a rather famous problem for any fairly recent Honda/Acura with a V6 mated to an auto. Folks with last-generation TLs have predictable transmission failures at 40-80k.

Jesda
07-30-06, 06:36 PM
umm go look at Acura.

And whoever said Acura has it all except Onstar...correction, Acuras now have Onstar also. I know the RL does for sure.

Coolest Cadillac feature, in my opinion, is the PAG shifting system that holds the gear while youre in a curve. Its just so obvious and brilliant. Of course, driving a manual would be even better. :)

MB is catching up and offering night vision in the S-class. Of course, its a much better system, and it should be since the new S-class is 6 years newer than the last Deville.

Caddy Man
07-30-06, 07:18 PM
Are you serious? Its a rather famous problem for any fairly recent Honda/Acura with a V6 mated to an auto. Folks with last-generation TLs have predictable transmission failures at 40-80k.
yeah but Acura extended warranties on all thier transmissions of the affected years and models for replacement. Id love to see Cadillac do that with all the differential failures. :rolleyes:

Elvis
07-30-06, 09:40 PM
Hey, lets ask some JAGUAR owners if we're gonna be talking about electrical problems!

Whatever problems Jags have--year in, year out they're still the best-looking cars on the road.

I wouldn't want one, but damn they look good!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-06, 10:45 PM
Whatever problems Jags have--year in, year out they're still the best-looking cars on the road.

I love the '96-'02 XJ Series!

RedGalant2k1
08-02-06, 02:02 AM

Never heard of it. Like I said too, I've seen and service hundreds of Accords and Odysseys.

Elvis
08-02-06, 11:01 AM
Honda did have some severe problems with their tip-tronic transmission in the last Prelude generation, as well as the first TL/CL series that offered it.

They extended my warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles. I never had any trouble with it, and they usually failed by the time you hit 30,000.

Every failure I ever read about was from a driver who used it constantly. They'd downshift rather than using their brakes. I'd always tell them brake pads are cheaper than a tranny re-build.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
08-02-06, 05:02 PM
yeah but Acura extended warranties on all thier transmissions of the affected years and models for replacement. Id love to see Cadillac do that with all the differential failures. :rolleyes:They did for me. According to the released numbers tho, there aren't nearly as many cts diff failures compared to accord/tl tranny failures from said 00-02's. Which is possibly why they haven't released official exteneded warranties. I just had to ask really. V excluded of course.

pimpin88
08-02-06, 06:49 PM
this link is about the accord owners complaining.

http://www.automotivetalk.net/showmessages.php?id=720

i only read through the first 20 some, but there is one guy who said he had been having problems even before the first oil change

and this one is about the odyssey

http://forums.carreview.com/showthread.php?t=113

pimpin88
08-02-06, 06:50 PM
haha, and here is an awesome quote from a honda owner. lol.

I too have an 02 Odyssey, at least you got 40k out of your trans. I only got 18k. The rebuilt Honda trans lasted 9000 then it was replaced again. Another, 1000 miles, ooops, failed again, now 1500 miles later on the 3rd trans its starting again....It seems that once you have a problem look out because Honda does not fix the problem. (exactly what my family has experienced with them (pimpin88)) I'm looking to get rid of my van with only 32000 miles but of course it's not worth that much in trade. Honda will do nothing to extend my warranty or buy the van back. This is a terrible product from a terrible company.

hahaha

pimpin88
08-02-06, 07:36 PM
sorry, im having a field day with this

The Bull
Registered Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These trans fail all the time.
I replace 2 a week sometimes.I have gotten so good at doing them I can knock one out in 2.2 hours!
Honda is warranting all of them at our shop.

I would not pay to have it fixed.
I would not own one that is not under warranty.

From what I heard a bearing is going bad and contaminating the trans.

The second gear thing is from lack of lubrication, this is a separate problem.
I keep seeing more and more powerful engines every year with the same weak trans that could not even hold up to the earlier engines with less power.

I dont mind the problem personally.
Job security!

08-28-2005, 06:21 PM #24
doofus
Registered Member

Posts: 1 Wife was driving on highway and trans STOPPED. It was as if she threw it in PARK at 50 mph(this is what happened to my aunt, except she was going 70 (pimpin88)). It's a 2002 Odyssey with 70K mi on it. Front tires were ruined from them screeching to a stop on the road. Honda replaced the trans and the tires with no cost to us. I did purchase the ext. warranty at purchase so I don't know if it was covered under that or what. I'm still pissed off though, because she is damn lucky she wasn't rear-ended and hurt or killed. I guess I'm stuck with it, don't see any other options.

davesdeville
08-03-06, 04:18 AM

Well that's odd. Because when my transmission explodes, I always go to the TIRE SHOP next to the dealership to have tires put on. Because that has everything to do with my transmission breaking. :bigroll:

codewize
08-03-06, 09:28 AM
Yeah really. WTF?

RedGalant2k1
08-03-06, 09:20 PM
Well that's odd. Because when my transmission explodes, I always go to the TIRE SHOP next to the dealership to have tires put on. Because that has everything to do with my transmission breaking. :bigroll:

Actually, we can do transmissions too. We get people all the time to buy repairs to anything from brakes, suspension, coolant, engine, transmission, electrical, or detailed diagnostic repairs...

Many people prefer us to the dealership. What is even more important for you folks to understand is we consistently see Accords and Odysseys well in excess of 100,000 miles with NO ISSUES. Remember the older a car gets or the more mileage it gets the less its serviced at the dealership.

We get a lot of Hondas.

70eldo
08-04-06, 07:20 AM
anyways... honda isn't perfect and possibly overrated.

i have the AC on blast and a burning ass...

Sounds like ice cream on hot waffles... :D
Good luck with the sevice!

AirJigga25
08-04-06, 09:33 AM
Sounds like ice cream on hot waffles... :D
Good luck with the sevice!
TO BE Fair:
the 3.0 liter v6 i have in the car absolutely rocks, I'd say it is a performance coupe that is practical at the same time. Great dashboard layout. too

However, here are some of the problems I've had with the car:

Stereo was scratchy at 4,000 miles, they didn't fix it..
a piece of plastic was loose inside the drivers door for the first 15,000 miles before it was fixed
Rattle in the exhaust around 8,000 miles, they fixed it
Rattles in the ceiling around the sunroof ever since i got it, they fixed it
when it originally started, it cranked way too long and sometimes I'd have to crank it twice to get it to start. So i got that fixed
At about 38,000 miles just off warrantee, the display for the stereo and the heating/cooling system failed and was a black screen. They fixed it for free.
Now the door lock and the seat heater are screwing up and I'm not happy... but will get it fixed next week. It's seriously made me consider getting a brand new ride though... :rant2:

for some reason I still like the car though, i think it has good karma, i'm superstitious like that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-04-06, 06:41 PM
My friend has a '01 Accord EX-V6 Coupe. It's amazingly stable at high (80+ MPH) speeds, quick, quiet, decently comfortable and reasonably fuel efficent. It's a good car, but not something I'd ever be particularly interested in.

davesdeville
08-05-06, 06:53 AM
Like I say... an appliance rather than a car. An Accord may be a nice appliance, like a Kenmore or GE, but still an appliance.

codewize
08-05-06, 06:27 PM
ROFL :rolling: :rofl: :coffee: That's to damn funny! I agree. I love this thread.

Like I say... an appliance rather than a car. An Accord may be a nice appliance, like a Kenmore or GE, but still an appliance.

Elvis
08-05-06, 09:50 PM
Hondas just don't have a soul.

I've had Kenmores with more character.

But they are precision instruments, I'll give them that. Those motors just don't quit. The things AJ is complaining about are annoying as hell, I'm sure, but they are relatively easy, low-cost fixes.