: Which Fuel Company

Jetillac
02-09-04, 10:44 AM
I have been wondering for a while about the fuel everbody uses in their North*'s. I have been using Speedway for about a year.

My question: Is one fuel company's gas better than the other? I have heard that you should not use BP because it contains too many additives and the like. I have also heard that Citgo was one of the better fuel company's to use. What is everybody's take?

ShadowLvr400
02-09-04, 10:56 AM
Using Hess because I hae a co. card for it. As for one fuel better than another... shrug... yet to notice that.

akaz87
02-19-04, 09:15 PM
Gas in a Cadillac is all the same. I use the cheap gas and the expencive gas at about 5 diffrent places, never runs diffrent. I would just stick to big name places, and yes BP is the only shit gas.

Sandy
02-19-04, 09:49 PM
I use Exxon, Getty or Gulf because all gas is the same, and those companies are AMERICAN! BP stands for British Petro - Shell is also owned by them, too. Here in NJ all of a sudden we are being eaten alive with brands that I never heard of popping up all over:

WOROCO
DELTA
A-1 GAS
SPEEDWAY
POWER FUEL
ATLAS
VROOM GAS
ENRITE

kevinK
02-19-04, 10:08 PM
Please read some fuel company related insider's (Mike, Kevin and Kenewell) posts quoted below.

I would use the cheapest 93 octane gas available, regardless of brands.

Good luck.

Kevin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gspencer914
[B]just one thing to say! If you buy your gas from JOE BOBS country store you dont know what your getting or where its comming from. Most of the time its from the LOWEST BIDDER in turn equals more deposits and less additives. BUY from companys that have shown they dont cheat the consumer with thier gas. EXXON-MOBIL, CHEVRON, CITGO, ect ect. George

I use to work on the Ohio river for a tow boat company who handled and delivered all the fuel barges that went to all the major oil company's, their were only 3 different types of fuel on the barges, Regular,Super, and Deisel. The barges from the Ohio refinery went to Ashland and Chevron, the barges from down south went to Citgo and Marathon, but BP had their own pipe line. These 5 oil company's distributed the fuel to "ALL" of the Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky gas stations. It's all the same fuel no matter where you buy it, but the Super barges do have much better gas on them than the regular barges, so i prefer the high octane for my car, and Chevron does add Techron to their gas which is great for keeping the injecters clean and i have noticed my car gets better mileage and runs much better on the higher octane fuel. I like to do business with the lowest price gas stations, this week i paid $1.29 per gallon at a Marathon station, Look for the Deals! You drive the Best cars made in the U.S.A. Give them what they deserve High Octane Fuel.

Mike Johnson
Sound Advantage
Car Audio & Electronics
Louisville, Kentucky
(502)455-6191

I wasn't going to get involved with this thread but after reading Mike's post, I felt the need to make a comment.
Mike is right, the gas stations in your area most likely do get their fuel from the same couple sources. I used to run a fleet and we pumped our own gas and diesel. There were only a couple fuel farms near us in Mercer County NJ. One fed from Phila. and the other out of Newark I think it was. Either way, all the local stations regardless of brand recieved their fuel from these same couple sources. The only differences were in the additive packages that some add at the truck or tank. So as Mike said, generally speaking, you should just shop price.
SEE.THE.ORIGINAL.FTS

agree with that Kevin! My neighbor drives a tanker truck......He picks the gas up at the same farm as the name brand trucks do! He delivers to Chevron as well as Rotten Robbies......Same gas in the tanks! I shop price! It's foolish not to 'cause the gas all comes from the same place!

It's just words.....Get over it!

I used to wonder why things happened the way they do....Now, I make them happen the way I want them to.

ChicagoTransAm
02-22-04, 12:53 PM
I'd love to know why BP is "crap" gas. Being that it still comes from the same lines that Amoco had, just was bought out by another company.

Shell and BP are not owned by the same company to my knowledge. Shell is an Anglo-Dutch company and BP I believe is originally a Persian based company that received the name thanks to help from the British government investing in pipe lines. Texaco/Shell had a merger awhile back I know, but BP is still it's own entity (though it is a parent to other smaller gas companies)

Nevertheless, I usually purchase BP due to the fact that it uses less ethanol as an octane booster. It also is more refined according to several analysts and uses a good combination of detergents. Yes, I know, that they post a max 10% ethanol sign, but from what I have gathered, it usually falls significantly short of their max.

Pour some 93 Amoco/BP in a glass jar and then some 92/93 Citgo in another and look at the difference. This is the only "amateur" way of telling the difference that I know of.

beemer2k
02-22-04, 07:25 PM
I'd love to know why BP is "crap" gas. Being that it still comes from the same lines that Amoco had, just was bought out by another company.

Shell and BP are not owned by the same company to my knowledge. Shell is an Anglo-Dutch company and BP I believe is originally a Persian based company that received the name thanks to help from the British government investing in pipe lines. Texaco/Shell had a merger awhile back I know, but BP is still it's own entity (though it is a parent to other smaller gas companies)

Nevertheless, I usually purchase BP due to the fact that it uses less ethanol as an octane booster. It also is more refined according to several analysts and uses a good combination of detergents. Yes, I know, that they post a max 10% ethanol sign, but from what I have gathered, it usually falls significantly short of their max.

Pour some 93 Amoco/BP in a glass jar and then some 92/93 Citgo in another and look at the difference. This is the only "amateur" way of telling the difference that I know of.
I agree. I have been told by several mechanics that BP and AMOCO are two of the best gasolines you can put in your car. Citgo, Speedway, and Clark are among the worst (unless you're getting the 94 octane - which is useless in these cars). And I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy gas from a company just because it's American. I buy the best. If American oil companies don't provide the best gas, then American oil companies won't get my money. Period. BTW I don't know if it's ironic or poignant that British Petroleum owns American Oil Company. :D

c_a_s_2
03-01-04, 02:49 AM
I agree. I have been told by several mechanics that BP and AMOCO are two of the best gasolines you can put in your car. Citgo, Speedway, and Clark are among the worst (unless you're getting the 94 octane - which is useless in these cars). And I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy gas from a company just because it's American. I buy the best. If American oil companies don't provide the best gas, then American oil companies won't get my money. Period. BTW I don't know if it's ironic or poignant that British Petroleum owns American Oil Company. :D

You are right, British Petroleum has TOTALLY bought out AMOCO and ARCO (worldwide) within the last several years. You still see some of those two brands *only* because BP is squeezing every nickel it can, out of those two names. .......The only oil company that is larger than BP is --- EXXON/MOBIL. cs