: Hey this Headlight restorer off Ebay REALLY works!

CVP33
07-26-06, 09:36 PM
My 2000 LHS, 6 freaking years old with 115,000 miles and I you can't see at night because the damned headlights are clouded and yellow. I used this Headlight restoration kit and I was amazed. Cost me $43 and 45 minuts vs. $500 for two new headlights! You be the judge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=220008404920&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Rolex
07-26-06, 10:07 PM
THe end result looks good. Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with polishing compound and a burnishing wheel?

NolaBoy
07-26-06, 10:15 PM
Looks good. a $2 can of Brasso, a microfiber towel, and some elbow grease will work great for removing the yellow oxidation off headlights. I know it sounds crazy, An older guy told me about it and i didnt believe it. Much to my surprise it took all the oxidation off of his yellowed headlights. made them look damn near brand new

LittleB
07-26-06, 10:16 PM
Wow that looks great!! I never would've thought it would come out that nice :thumbsup:

Frost
07-26-06, 10:21 PM
That's right Rolex. I polished mine out, starting with 2,500 grit compound, then 2,000, etc. until i found the one that did the trick - from there, I went back up in grits until it was crustal clear again. I finished with 2 coats of a poly seal-type sealer,

Sure beats the cost of new ones!!

CVP33
07-26-06, 10:53 PM
Actually this kit went the other way. I started at 400 then graduated up to 600,800,1000 and ended with 1,500. I then used the rubbing and polishing compound to finish getting out the scratches. Then you apply the sealer. Looks brand new. Could I have done it cheaper? Probably. But I'm VERY pleased with the results.

Benzilla
07-26-06, 11:58 PM
that does look nice.

But I did the same thing with meguiers plast-x for like $7.00.

Eric Kahn
07-27-06, 12:39 AM
I think my 95 deville has glass lenses on the healights, they are still perfectly clear, ford seems to be the worst for headlights going Opaque

davesdeville
07-27-06, 02:40 AM
My Mark VIII has much worse lights than that... I just carry a bottle of ATF. Every couple weeks I'll just wipe them down with the ATF. It keeps them clear for awhile. I'm way too cheap to try that stuff the OP got on eBay, and way too lazy to sand them since I'll be replacing them anyway (reflective material essentially burns out and greatly reduces light output) with some HIDs or something else.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
07-27-06, 04:29 AM
I just use t-cut cutting compound, works really well.

Nice job though!

EcSTSatic
07-27-06, 01:31 PM
that does look nice.

But I did the same thing with meguiers plast-x for like $7.00.

I used Meguiars plastic polish and cleaner. It took some elbow grease but they came out looking good on my Aerostar.

Spyder
07-27-06, 02:29 PM
Most any fine polishing type compound will work. I learned that a few years ago by reading one of the "25 cheap tips" type of articles in Car Craft.

One of my old guys, who is damned near a deity at building and repairing vehicles of all kinds, somehow did not know the secret. He was complaining one day about the yellowed lenses and I said "lemme take your truck home from a few minutes." Fifteen minutes later (I live about a mile away) I came back and they looked damned near new. Rather impressed, he was.

Excellent work on the Ebay find though! Glad it worked out for you! Is there enough to do more lights, or just enough for the two on your car? Either way, now that you know what's in it you can build your own kit modeled on that one and be able to do all your friends'! :)

CVP33
07-27-06, 06:49 PM
Most any fine polishing type compound will work. I learned that a few years ago by reading one of the "25 cheap tips" type of articles in Car Craft.

One of my old guys, who is damned near a deity at building and repairing vehicles of all kinds, somehow did not know the secret. He was complaining one day about the yellowed lenses and I said "lemme take your truck home from a few minutes." Fifteen minutes later (I live about a mile away) I came back and they looked damned near new. Rather impressed, he was.

Excellent work on the Ebay find though! Glad it worked out for you! Is there enough to do more lights, or just enough for the two on your car? Either way, now that you know what's in it you can build your own kit modeled on that one and be able to do all your friends'! :)

Enough to do it roughly 3 times. :thumbsup:

RESDEP
12-18-07, 06:24 PM
I use NOVUS plastic polish with a 10 inch buffer, and they look great.
I have had to sand the plastic, if it was really bad, but finishes really well.
I also use it on my motorcycle windshield to make it spotless.
You can get it in several places, including jcwhitney.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2000757/p-2000757/N-111+10201+600016816/c-10101

CadillacSTS42005
12-18-07, 08:09 PM
back from the dead much?