: To fix or not to fix?!

elwesso
03-29-03, 01:05 PM
I am considering fixing the seats in my Q. They want $475 to replace the driver and passenger seat bottom, and to replace the driver side lumbar on the left side. Do you think this is a worthwhile endeavor or should i just leave it as is. The drivers side has a pretty good rip in it, and the passenger side looks as if its ready to go also.

BeelzeBob
03-29-03, 04:37 PM
I'd fix it. I like having perfectly soft, nice leather seats. It makes the inside of the car...

lux hauler
03-29-03, 04:44 PM
I've never messed with leather but I did replace the cloth seat bottom on one of my truck seats.
Just like anything else.......having the correct tools can make the job a whole lot easier. If you have to use "hog rings" to install the leather cover, make sure you have hog ring pliers. I'm sure they would have made my job alot faster and easier.

elwesso
03-29-03, 07:00 PM
If I am going to do it, I am going to have a professional shop do it. Trying to fix things yourself that people see can almost look worse if you dont know how to do it right.

I have not seen any other Q with leather like mine. I think the owner used armor all on it, because it was all brittle and ripped when I got it, but have since then doused it with conditioner, and it is all supple now. I think I will go ahead and do it!!!

BeelzeBob
03-29-03, 10:03 PM
You really should. Probably the nicest thing about a luxury car is its interior...

elwesso
03-29-03, 10:17 PM
Yes, I agree. It is such a nice car (granted, rice) but the bad seats really makes it look dumpy. Do you think 475 is reasonable?

Ralph
03-30-03, 01:35 AM
Is it possible to fix a tear in a vinyl roof it that ever happens?

elwesso
03-30-03, 09:08 AM
That should not be a problem. You could take it to a professional upholter, but chances are you would have to replace the entire thing (and that would look the best). If its not too big, you could buy one of those fix kits. I dont know how well those work, but its worth a shot.

elwesso
03-30-03, 09:10 AM
THe only thing I could see wrong with the fix it kits (you apply this putty like substance over the crack) is that the vinyl is textured (at least it is on our fleetwood), and making the place where you applied it obvious.

lux hauler
03-30-03, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by elwesso
Yes, I agree. It is such a nice car (granted, rice) but the bad seats really makes it look dumpy. Do you think 475 is reasonable?
elwesso,
5 years ago I paid $110 for a factory Ford Ranger bucket seat bottom cover (cloth) and installed it myself. When you compare what I got to what you plan to have done, your price don't sound too bad but you might want to get another estimate just to make sure.

elwesso
03-30-03, 10:02 AM
Ill see if i can find another upholstery shop. BTW, my seats use those little rings you were talking about.

Mad'lac
03-30-03, 11:34 AM
Hogrings

Elvis
03-30-03, 12:42 PM
I would think that you would replace the entire seat with one new from the factory for that price.

But yeah, I'd go ahead and do it.