: I guess Cadillacs are good - But...

codewize
07-25-06, 07:38 PM
So Cadillacs and Corvettes are good but that it.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/07/17/poorly-rated-vehicles_cx_dl_0718featA_ls.html?partner=autos_new sletter

Interesting.

Elvis
07-25-06, 10:08 PM
There's no denying that American manufacturers put out a LOT of crap. But people still buy it.

I'm more encouraged by what I've seen out of the big three in the past two years than at any time in the past 15 years. I think things are getting better, but it won't happen overnight.

codewize
07-25-06, 10:38 PM
Definitely agree

davesdeville
07-26-06, 03:42 AM
I quit reading when it said "consumer reports." They can choke on http://www.noveltyshirts.net/deeznuts.gif

Benzilla
07-26-06, 08:42 AM
I agree that pretty much the only thing good put out by GM is the Corvette and Cadillac, but ford has some good cars too I think (and I can't believe I'm saying this), but I think the Town Car, Mustang GT and Cobra are also pretty nice cars considering they come from ford...

But I don't see how american cars are worse than all the jap crap... Prius is a simbol of whats wrong with america. Fart smellers from Frisco trying to save the world... one overpriced econobox at a time.

Elvis
07-26-06, 10:19 AM
Maybe what's hurting American manufacturers is that the quality of their lower end cars can't compare with the quality of the Japanese lower-end cars. Thus the perception that ALL American cars are lacking in quality.

I've had good Fords and I've had good Oldsmobiles. I would say that the Acuras I owned were the best I ever had, but if I had spent the same money on Cadillacs or Lincolns that I spent on Acuras I might have been equally satisfied.

I'm really beginning to think that I just take better care of my vehicles than most people, and in turn my vehicles take care of me.

codewize
07-26-06, 11:17 AM
I agree with most of this. You're right. The average person doesn't drive a Cadillac, the cars they do drive are at a different price point. Maybe at that price point the imports are a better deal.

Anyone who has owned a Cadillac will probably tell you they loved it, unless they just got a bad apple. It's also been said in the forum that one of the issues with Cadillac owners is they need to understand that some of the things they have to repair are item that don't exist in most other cars.

So it come down to, well I had to have my 62 way heated, AC massage seat repaired. Well think about that. Who else has one to have repaired.

Obviously that's an exaggeration to make a point, but you see what I mean. The technology in a Cadillac far surpasses most other cars on the road, hence there is a lot more to go wrong.

I think I'm on a tangent now. ooops.

77CDV
07-26-06, 11:43 PM
I agree with Davesdeville. Once I saw consumer distorts, I stopped reading. Unless it's a Toyota or Honda, they never think it's any good. Hey, what else can you expect from Ralph Nader and Joan Claybrook's love child?

Elvis
07-27-06, 09:51 AM
I don't like Consumer Reports anymore either. I sort of got to know one of their automotive "experts" on another forum. Complete ass. Total authority on everything. Belligerent as hell, too.

I didn't believe he really worked for them and then I did a little research.

DBA-One
07-27-06, 06:01 PM
It is my opinion that far too many people form an opinion of the quality of today's American car simply by word of mouth. If someone says on the Internet that all G.M. cars are junk people buy in to it and it spreads like VD. These people will never go down and look at a new Lucerne, Impala, any Cadillac, etc. Wanna know how the G6 stacks up to the Camary or Accord? Most don't know because they wont be bothered with just going to look.

Speaking of the G6 example, my wife and I rented one a few months ago. I loved the seats and found it to be well made. I could only find one gripe about the car. The information display is built in the radio display so low fuel warning and all that other stuff is built in to that. If you ever want to change out the radio you have a serious problem it seems. However, I never buy a car for the radio so what was there is good enough.

Then there are the sort of crazy comparisons done. I just picked up a car rag today that compares the CTS-V to an Audi RS4. The Audi cost something like 25k more and has little to do with a A4 or S4. That Audi is no assembly line built car. Sure they are sedans on 'roids these two, but the Caddy offers so much more value and bang for the buck. Give the Caddy AWD and the other tweaks and see it cost as much. Try selling an 80k Catera but you can sell a 50k CTS-V. Oh and the Caddy's power has room to grow.