: Nav Disk Update

bert5468
07-25-06, 06:38 PM
What is happening with the updated Nav Disk? I thought I had read that an updated disk would be available by August 2006. The disk with the 2005's is grossly outdated!

BarryNS
07-26-06, 01:53 AM
What is happening with the updated Nav Disk? I thought I had read that an updated disk would be available by August 2006. The disk with the 2005's is grossly outdated!

Go to www.gmnavdisc.comor (http://www.gmnavdisc.comor) call 1-877-628-3472. Input your VIN number and it will identify the new disk Ver 2.0. Cost me $207.00 shipping included.
There are a number of updates, especially of the POI's, but there also are a lot of navigation mistakes.

E's Caddy
07-27-06, 01:55 PM
Go to www.gmnavdisc.comor (http://www.gmnavdisc.comor) call 1-877-628-3472. Input your VIN number and it will identify the new disk Ver 2.0. Cost me $207.00 shipping included.
There are a number of updates, especially of the POI's, but there also are a lot of navigation mistakes.

Yeah I got a call from the dealer yesterday and it finally came in after about a month of waiting. Seems pretty cool

RAP644
08-07-06, 09:45 PM
With your nav disk, did you get a new list of commands to use?

BarryNS
08-08-06, 01:57 AM
With your nav disk, did you get a new list of commands to use?

I got nothing with it except the invoice. As far as I know, it only was a data update for the mapping and points of interest. I do not think it had any program changes. In fact, functionally nothing in the program changed at all. Admittedly I have not attempted to use the VR lately. My wife responds to directions better than the VR system which is not saying much for .....................etc.

s725r2
08-27-06, 07:50 PM
I purchased my 2005 STS back in May. I went to the mailbox yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find an updated NAV disk free of charge!!!

Skibanker
08-28-06, 09:09 PM
The first two annual updates are supposed to be free.

BarryNS
08-30-06, 01:50 AM
The first two annual updates are supposed to be free.

Only for 2006 and newer.

bert5468
10-01-06, 10:45 PM
Hey s725r2. Any way you can burn a copy of that new disc? Sure would like to have one!

allargon
11-10-06, 12:55 AM
Does the new disk correct a lot of the omissions? Do neighborhoods newer than 2004 show up now? The voice command stuff reads as annoying but is really a non-issue for me. Every luxury car forum complains about Bluetooth quirks.

However, I want a working NAV. I am considering buying a CPO STS. I won't do it if the updated DVD is still decades behind.

BarryNS
11-10-06, 05:21 PM
Does the new disk correct a lot of the omissions? Do neighborhoods newer than 2004 show up now? The voice command stuff reads as annoying but is really a non-issue for me. Every luxury car forum complains about Bluetooth quirks.

However, I want a working NAV. I am considering buying a CPO STS. I won't do it if the updated DVD is still decades behind.

Version 2.0 was a year more than a year behind finished construction on the day that it was issued.

ssstealth
11-19-06, 08:09 AM
Hopefully they are getting better with the updates due to the popularity of NAV systems. I remember when I updated a 2001 nav disk to the 2003 version, the road that we lived on actually was REMOVED and another main road on the way to our house was MOVED about 1/4 mile off course.

After much complaining and many phone calls, they finally sent me a 2004 disc and all was corrected. They even sent me a letter telling me that this was a "one time only" customer relation type of deal which made me think that they never beleived me in the first place.

What they really need is a "trace route" feature that will instantly add new roads that you travel on and store them for re-use.

Cajonkev
11-19-06, 02:34 PM
GM doesn't manage the map data. They license it from NavTeq who is the largest provider in the US via Denso who manufacturers the system.

Navteq has a webpage to allow folks to report errors or missing data. They actually give you a trouble ticket and response once they look into it.

http://update.navteq.com/df_form.asp?language=en&Submit=Submit

New data is much much more than just the GPS coords. of the road. They have to include type of road, speed limits/restrictions. number,type and direction of lanes (if applicable), restricted access points (i.e. gated communities etc.) and more...

Companies like Navteq have 100's of employess that drive custom rigged vehicles that capture all of this data while an operator inputs the narrative particulars. These EE's are based and live locally to where they work in general. When you generate an inquiry, they not only look the data up, but if warranted dispatch a crew to verify it. It takes several weeks to accomplish and then if changed gets published in the next revision of data.

The biggest issue deals more with the companies who purchase/license the data. Since they plan so far ahead, and incorporate other revisions, the map data is usually a year old or more when initially published by the end-user. It's not as if they are creating a new nav disk monthly so folks at the end of the run are getting the most out of date data. There is definitely room for improvement but deals more with contracts, fees and distribution rather than availability.

Onalaska
11-19-06, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info, however the STS is not listed on the Navteq site. Apparently the STS database is from a different company. The manual that came with my 2005 STS lists the database as originally being made by Geographic Data Technology, Inc. I am sure the process is similar though.

Cajonkev
11-20-06, 09:13 PM
As you will notice there is a disclaimer about whether or not your manufacturer is listed on the NavTeq site.

Not all companies wish to be public about their licensing. NavTeq does supply Denso for the GM products including the STS and I have dealt with them before on it with my previous 05.

Doesn't mean of course that they don't use GDT too as a provider and I have dealt with them as well on other items. My manual for my 05 had a NavTeq copyright notice on the back cover. I'll have to pull out the 06 and check it now!

kalel2121
11-23-06, 11:47 AM
I would be happy to make a donation for a burn of the latest nav disc. Any takers???