: Interesting Article on the Death of the Town Car

gdwriter
07-24-06, 04:34 PM
Interesting article from Forbes automotive columnist Jerry Flint:

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/columnists/2006/07/17/bacakseat-driver-lincoln-cx_jf_0718flint.html

I'm not a fan of the Town Car, but it appears Ford is making a very costly blunder.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-24-06, 07:45 PM
Yikes! I've been looking at replacing my '04 Town Car. This one looks like the last Town Car I'll ever own. They are certainly the best in the livery business.

Lord Cadillac
07-28-06, 04:36 PM
What a shame.. I guess if people want a BIG Lincoln, they're only choice is the Navigator...

Blackout
07-29-06, 10:04 AM
I think it's kinda stupid for Ford to do this but hey maybe they have bigger plans . But the Town Car was defintaly a huge moiney maker for them in the livery business. Not too many people use Caddies anymore due to them being front wheel drive and they don't have the life span of the Town Car. They only have 3 upcoming cars and thats the new Navigator, the MXK, and the MKS and none of those are sedans let alone something that you would want to use for a livery company

CadillacSTS42005
07-29-06, 11:14 AM
Lincoln is dead now its like Olds on its last leg and instead of the company putting money into the branch to help it grow theyd rather save the inital cost and let it die off...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-06, 10:51 AM
LOL "The Wreck of The Town Car" I like the title!

Blackout
07-30-06, 03:10 PM
Lincoln is dead now its like Olds on its last leg and instead of the company putting money into the branch to help it grow theyd rather save the inital cost and let it die off...I think your wrong there. They are going through the same faze that Cadillac went through and now look where Cadillac is at now compared to 2-3 years ago. Lincoln is totally redoing their whole lineup with the MKX, MKS, and the new Navigator. I'm sure we will see some other models at some point. But I wouldn't put Lincoln down for the count just yet

JCM1
07-30-06, 03:39 PM
It was stupid of GM to drop the body-on-frame rear-drive platform and now Ford is going to make the same mistake. The Town Cars are nice, smooth riding, traditional cars. Rear wheel drive will always be better then anything else. Why Ford is choosing to kill the last traditional American luxury car? Idiots for sure.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-06, 10:08 PM
The last of the true american luxury sedans will be gone by '09. How sad is that?!

cadillacdrvr8692
07-30-06, 10:42 PM
It is pretty sad almost devastating!. lol i think by 2010 we're gonna be surrounded by cars shaped like large tissue boxes with head lights and a solar engine that you have to pay taxes on...oh well ......

Blackout
07-31-06, 09:33 AM
The last of the true american luxury sedans will be gone by '09. How sad is that?!Maybe sales for the TC will sky rocket when people find out about it being discontinued and then it will make Ford think again about dumping it:thumbsup: We could only hope

Jesda
07-31-06, 02:02 PM
Now I want a Town Car. Stupid Ford.

MachX
11-26-06, 12:41 PM
The Town Car HAS indeed been moved up north here to be built in St Thomas alongside its CV/GM brethren. Ford says it could remain in current form as far as 2011. Unfortunately, any redesign was killed off due to Ford's money problems. Right. Your most profitable platform is the one you decide to let whither and die. And now they want to bank on a 500 clone? And don't count on the hurricane engine, they're supposed to be working on a 3.7l V6 for the MKS, which will be their flagship car once TC production winds down. The current Chevy Impala with its V8 is ALREADY more exciting than a car that hasn't even come out. Has Ford learned NOTHING over the last 20 years? Keep doling out that market share, FoMoCo, as your competitors are laughing all the way to the bank.

MachX
02-19-07, 09:25 PM
And after reading about the MKR concept, I see nothing has changed. Any premium car worth its salt has a V8 engine at least as an option. Witness the success of the 300/Charger/Magum. Witness the latest Impala and Monte with their 5.3l V8's. Ford has returned to the 80's with undersized, underpowered cars. 415 hp doesn't mean squat if people are buying 5 series cars with V8's and V10's under the hood.

weister42
02-25-07, 03:17 AM
IMO why have a Town Car, a Crown Vic and a Grand Mars? They're basically the same car with different badges on it(I would go for the Merc in the three). The American car maker's market share has already slipped so much that maybe they're just trying to clean things up and reduce lost.

MachX
02-26-07, 01:48 AM
Well, Crown Vic was for rental/police/taxi sales, so that's a large market that won't fork over the cash for premium models. The T/C is the flagship model. And the Grand Marquis is STILL Mercury's best selling model. So there's reason to keep all three, I think. But they should have been updated eons ago.

thebigjimsho
02-28-07, 09:00 PM
You can't get a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic in an L version. Most Livery companies would not accept moving their fleets to either of the lesser version. Odds are we'd go to a 300 L or the Cadillac DTS.

CadillacTerry
03-05-07, 12:39 PM
Even if it is a Ford, it still upsets me to see another big rear drive car bite the dust. all the luxury cars now are being based off of the european styles and designs w/ alpha numeric names. The most we could hope for is that one of those european componies will come out with a car done in the american style of luxury w/ a real name(like that would ever happen).

MachX
04-12-07, 12:43 AM
You can't get a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic in an L version. Most Livery companies would not accept moving their fleets to either of the lesser version. Odds are we'd go to a 300 L or the Cadillac DTS.
A Grand Marquis/Crown Vic doesn't NEED an L version, at 212 inches long, they are still longer than 'L' 300's and about the same size as a DTS 'L'.

Tombo47
05-01-07, 02:12 PM
Ford is a Money pit. They shouldve fixed these issues in '98 when they ahd a little more money to do so. They just let everyone mvoe past them.

thebigjimsho
05-02-07, 10:11 AM
A Grand Marquis/Crown Vic doesn't NEED an L version, at 212 inches long, they are still longer than 'L' 300's and about the same size as a DTS 'L'.What? You couldn't be more wrong. I don't think you've ever been in a 300 or DTS because both have about the same rear legroom as the GM/CV. That's before an L version. Overall length means squat. It's rear seat legroom. Period. And I refuse to let my clients in the back of a GM/CV.

Koooop
05-02-07, 06:02 PM
To bad about the Town Car. A few years back they tried to kill the Navigator and the fans bought them up like crazy. Here we are and the Navigator is still around.

GM killed the big RWD cars to use the plant to make Suburbans. They make more money on those. Ford is just making bad decisions for the domestic market place.

Jesda
05-05-07, 04:05 AM
Canada gets a long-wheelbase Crown Vic for livery use.

Koooop
05-05-07, 03:37 PM
I guess these guys are going to need to pony up and get the XJ8L, but then they'll need a fleet of tow trucks to follow them around.

I can't wait to have a stretch crown vic show up, that'll impress the chicks.

Rogue Cadillac
06-06-07, 05:37 PM
Ford's money problems continue to plague it in 2007 and they have already anounced they will continue this loosing streak up to 2008 if ALL GOES ACCORDING TO PLAN! Meanwhile, GM is climbing up and they made their first profits in quite some time the 1st quarter of 2007. Notice how GM's new car lineup simply stomps on Ford's lineup, which is still SUV/truck heavy.

Nevermind if Ford puts their stock on a stretched FWD Ford 500. If they can make that car drive as smoothly yet handle better than the current TC, then their going the right way. Of course, it better have a V8. It is not the location of the driving wheels that will spell success in this segment. It is the exterior/interior styling, engine/power, driving dynamics, real and perceived quality, and finally, price that spells success. The DTS is proof enough of that. Most people in this segment can't tell FWD/RWD from each other. What do they care? They will care if it has a powerful V8 engine. Or, if it handles very well. Or if it has a real quality interior filled with gadgets, and it looks real stylish outside and inside. Finally, they will care if the price doesn't bump way above $50k. As Cadillac has figured out, pushing prices out closer to $100k brings sales volume way down.

Perhaps Ford is following in Cadillac's footsteps since the TC competes against the DTS and the DTS easily kicks the TC's butt.

Koooop
06-06-07, 05:55 PM
GMAC is the souce of GM profit issues.

Rogue Cadillac
06-07-07, 08:08 PM
It WAS one of the sources. They sold GMAC some time ago.

The major source of GM's woes, as well as Ford and Chrysler, is that their model lineup is SUV/truck heavy. Sad to say, this market took a massive hit this decade. During the 1990's, all of them invested a great deal of their resources into developing SUV's and trucks. Remember that the 1990's was the all time low gas prices and SUV craze. Everyone HAD to have an SUV and that market was growing in leaps and bounds. Ford, GM, and Chrysler could not make enough SUV's and trucks! Faced with that prospect, can you blame them for trying to milk that massive cash cow?

Luckily, GM's change in management saw the writing on the wall earlier than the other two. So they switched gears and invested their money on car platforms. In addition, they brought performance back into many car models. You're seeing the results of that with GM today. Notice a great deal of their new releases are cars. Ford however was and still is under great turmoil. They can't make up their minds! Their marketing team seems to be living in another world. Their only saving grace, the F150, and the retro Mustang, GT, and the aformentioned Panther platform (Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis). OTOH, Chrysler's only saving grace is their 300. Poor saps got raped by MB and now they're left to fend for themselves. I guess that's just poetic justice because back in the early 1990's Chrysler was the one doing a lot of the raping (AMC/Jeep/Renault).

In any case, in my humble opinion, GM is poised for a massive revival. Lutz and Co. has a goal of fighting off Toyota as the No 1 carmaker in the world. To faciliate that, GM is planning on taking away two of the biggest market segments in America: the mid-size car (Camry;Accord) with the new Malibu in 2008, and the Full size light trucks (Ford F150) with the new GM trucks. That's a tall order. But if anyone can do it at this point, it's only GM.

Koooop
06-07-07, 11:50 PM
GMAC was sold in mid 2006, (GMAC carried paper) so they will be getting payments. In conjunction with the Auto industry as a whole, GMAC was sucking the life out of GM. Lutz has a great product line, we'll see if it works out. Unfortunately MPG is what will be the big seller for the next few years, not HP.

Ford has been moving assets to China for some time. They may be sucking wind here but they're ramping up to take advantage of the upcoming China boom.

Rogue Cadillac
06-08-07, 12:16 PM
I agree about China. The boom there is happening now and GM is already fully entrenched there with Buick (believe it or not) leading the way. American brands are very popular over in China due to historical perspectives. The Chinese still remember the horrendous atrocities committed by the Japanese there during WWII. Thus, there is resistance in Japanese brands. They prefer the names Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Ford. The American names hold a special place in their hearts because these were the vehicles that many of them remember seeing after the war. And they associate that with good times (sort of) because we helped them defeat Japan. Of course, the Germans are there too lead by VW, BMW, and MB.

Anway, you're right. China is THE up and coming automotive market and battles for supremacy will be fought there in the future.

Getting back to the Town Car. The article that started this thread was written back in 2006. I recently read another article that Ford does plan to switch Town Car production to Canada where the current Crown Vics/Grand Marquis are made. In addition, Ford does not intend to replace the Panther platform until after 2010. And when they do, it will be built off of the current Mustang platform. In other words, front engine, rear drive, multi-link live axle.

Also, contrary to what some believe, Ford has been upgrading the Panther over the years. Although from the outside, it is hard to tell, underneath the Panther has evolved. The last upgrade was done in 2005. So it appears the Town Car will live on!

Here's a good source of current info on the Panther:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Grand_Marquis

Here's one for the Lincoln Town Car:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Town_Car