: Best Head Gasket Sealer

shizzyraw
07-24-06, 12:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I think i blew a head gasket on my 97 eldorado. I am having a compression test done now to make sure. We did a combustion byproduct test but it was inconclusive. It didnt appear that the liquid changed yellow, it still looked blue depending on what angle you held it at exactly. I then stuck it in the tailpipe and it still didnt appear to change color, whats that about? This was a new kit so i know the chemichal hadnt been contaminated. Any way i have already changed the radiator, water pump (2X), cap, and the water pump belt tensioner.
Air seems to move through the system freely. In light of this, I am pretty sure that the compression test will come up postitive for a leaky gasket. Since i cant afford a new car at the moment, im gona have to try to band-aid the problem with one of those head gasket sealers. I see a lot of them advertised on line (including the side bar of several threads on this site). However they are quite a bit more expensive than the sealers at my local Auto Zone. Most of the online ones a selling in excess of $100, where as the stuff at the local parts store goes for about $10. Does any one have any experience with these more expensive ones? Is it worth the extra money? I linked to one product from this site www.stealseal.com . They make some pretty bold claims, like it being a permenant fix, and it flowing like water so that it dosnt clog your heating and cooling system. Anybody belive em'? Please post your thoughts to help me make a good choice!

Thanx
Shizz

P.S.
I know most people are gona tell me to get rid of the car and dont mess with any of this crap, but i really aint gotta choice at this point.

AlBundy
07-24-06, 07:42 PM
There was a guy rfishing who use a product called Thermagasket. He has an extensive detailed thread on it. But as Ranger always say there in no magic fix in a bottle for headgasketts but if its a temporary fix rfishing's car is still running with the Thermagasket per one of his current post that I read. I don't know the cost but he might chime in due to your post and give you more information.

mtflight
07-25-06, 11:35 AM
Did you or are you overheating? how much coolant are you losing? positively there are no leaks?

did u check the 3/4" purge line for clogs? that's one often overseen problem.
Skip the compression test and do the tests described here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#gasket

Keep us updated. A history of overheating is one cause for headgasket failure in post 1996 Northstars.

Regarding fixes in a bottle--if it sounds too good to be true....

How many miles on it?
If you timesert the N* properly (with Timeserts, not helicoils or anything else), it becomes virtually bullet-proof (practically outliving the car).

mtflight
07-25-06, 11:39 AM
There was a guy rfishing who use a product called Thermagasket. He has an extensive detailed thread on it. But as Ranger always say there in no magic fix in a bottle for headgasketts but if its a temporary fix rfishing's car is still running with the Thermagasket per one of his current post that I read. I don't know the cost but he might chime in due to your post and give you more information.

I want to say rfishing got a refund. His story is so tragic... gets his car timeserted due to a hose being loose, still overheated, dealer would not warranty it because the claim was over a year later. Dealer did not use new headbolts either.

For Rfishing:
If they did indeed timesert it, I'd retorque it and see what happens. Or better yet, pull the heads in the engine, scrape the old headgasket and put in a new one along with new bolts. If they Timeserted it properly it would definitely work and could be done in the car.

sully64
07-25-06, 01:10 PM
Just told by local dealer that my 99 Deville has a blown head gasket -repair cost $6500. Car has 104,000 miles and no history of trouble. Still runs fine but over heats. (Just overheated for the first time last week and I added coolent. It just took a little. Now they tell me blown head gasket so I took it to another dealer-he confirmed. Both dealers said this is common on Northstar engines. I can't believe it. Mine only overheated briefly to about 216 and I didn't run it hot. If this is a common Cadillac Northstar problem then my next car is going to be Japanese!

mtflight
07-25-06, 01:16 PM
Just told by local dealer that my 99 Deville has a blown head gasket -repair cost $6500. Car has 104,000 miles and no history of trouble. Still runs fine but over heats. (Just overheated for the first time last week and I added coolent. It just took a little. Now they tell me blown head gasket so I took it to another dealer-he confirmed. Both dealers said this is common on Northstar engines. I can't believe it. Mine only overheated briefly to about 216 and I didn't run it hot. If this is a common Cadillac Northstar problem then my next car is going to be Japanese!

216 is NOT overheating. Overheating is not indicative of a headgasket problem either. It could be a hose, clogged passage, radiator, belt, waterpump, etc.

Overheating is probably 250 and above--the car will notify you and the needle will be in the red. Normal operating temperature is 199-224.

Ranger
07-25-06, 01:43 PM
mtflight is correct. 216 is normal operating tempurature. Cooling fans don't even turn on til 224. Additionally $6500 for a head gasket job is twice the going rate. They are trying to rape you! Find an honest dealer.

sully64
07-25-06, 02:37 PM
My car shows the temperature. It did spike briefly to about 230 but returned to 210 range when I got moving again. I still have no idea what caused the temp to rise but two dealers insist it is a blown gasket. There was a $500 difference between their repair estimates. My car is in really good condition and I really have no choice but to repair. Dealers say they average 2 blown head gaskets a week. I have never known anyone to blow a head gasket but at those numbers I would say Northstar engines have a problem

mtflight
07-25-06, 03:13 PM
My car shows the temperature. It did spike briefly to about 230 but returned to 210 range when I got moving again. I still have no idea what caused the temp to rise but two dealers insist it is a blown gasket. There was a $500 difference between their repair estimates. My car is in really good condition and I really have no choice but to repair. Dealers say they average 2 blown head gaskets a week. I have never known anyone to blow a head gasket but at those numbers I would say Northstar engines have a problem

From time to time, it's not unusual to have the temperature rise a little. 230 is still okay, especially since you don't run that all the time. I'll bet you were either going uphill or idling in traffic possibly with the A/C off.

If the car did not advise that you were overheating, then pay no attention. Yeah dealers average headgasket jobs as many as they can do--it helps them finance their boats, and vacation homes. Especially as in your case, as you saw 230 and then back down and you take the car in. They prey on folks that are gullible. Run away from that stealership. Go to a trustworthy location, ONLY if your car tells you it's overheating. The numeric value of 230 is okay if it was transient and went back down. Nothing to be alarmed about, unless it becomes routine... even then unless the car REALLY overheats would I be concerned.

From what you tell us, there is no reason for me to believe you have any situation with your headgaskets other than a dealer or two who say so. Your car is fine.

white97deville
07-25-06, 08:12 PM
From time to time, it's not unusual to have the temperature rise a little. 230 is still okay, especially since you don't run that all the time. I'll bet you were either going uphill or idling in traffic possibly with the A/C off.

If the car did not advise that you were overheating, then pay no attention. Yeah dealers average headgasket jobs as many as they can do--it helps them finance their boats, and vacation homes. Especially as in your case, as you saw 230 and then back down and you take the car in. They prey on folks that are gullible. Run away from that stealership. Go to a trustworthy location, ONLY if your car tells you it's overheating. The numeric value of 230 is okay if it was transient and went back down. Nothing to be alarmed about, unless it becomes routine... even then unless the car REALLY overheats would I be concerned.

From what you tell us, there is no reason for me to believe you have any situation with your headgaskets other than a dealer or two who say so. Your car is fine.

Total agreement with that finely written assessment of 2 dishonest stealerships.

shizzyraw585
07-26-06, 02:29 AM
Thanx for the advice mtflight but the compression test was already done by the time i read your reply. Cylinders 4 and 6 are only holding at about 80 PSI. Yesterday morning on a cold start the dash told me to check coolant level. When i took off the cap to add coolant smoke poured out. Since this was a cold start i knew this wasnt steam, and judging by the smell it was exaust. That seems preety conclusive to me. Anyway you said that rfishing got a refund. Did you mean a refund on the thermagasket or the head job. Did the thermagasket not work for him? Any ways i think i am gona try the steel seal since you are supposed to use it with coolant, seems like that will last longer. Oh by the way its a 97 eldorado with 123k on it. It did overheat on me once from a bad water pump. I am not the original owner though so i dont know if it overheated befor i purchased it though (just under 3 years ago).

Thanx

Shizz

Ranger
07-26-06, 10:21 AM
rfishing got a refund from Thermogasket. Repairs (hope) in a bottle won't work. There is only one way to repair a head gasket.

dkozloski
07-26-06, 04:21 PM
I fixed a six cylinder Continental engine in an old Clark forklift with a warped head and a cracked block with JB Weld. I drove steel wool saturated with JB Weld into the crack with an old screwdriver and then used JB Weld in place of a head gasket. This was about five years ago and the thing is still being used on a daily basis and doesn't leak a drop. I agree that there is no preparation known to man that can be poured into the coolant that will do any good at all.