: Gee, I dunno, should I trust this vendor on eBay?

Elvis
07-24-06, 11:09 AM
There's a new Dell system out now that I absolutely covet. Of course Dell wants over $3500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dell-XPS-M2010-20-LCD-Core-Duo-2GHz-2G-E1505_W0QQitemZ150014672801QQihZ005QQcategoryZ177Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So I find them on eBay really cheap. Check out this feedback:

Good buyer! It is happy to cooperate! Something needs please get in touch at any timing later!

Cooperates you with him absolutely do not have to worry does not receive the funds question!

We cooperate are the like this happiness!

I believe, such buyer absolutely is worth us and his long-term cooperation ~!

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=makkwokman&iid=150014672801&ssPageName=VIP:feedback:2:us

All 10 were left yesterday morning.

All my base are belong to them!

Spyder
07-24-06, 11:49 AM
Haha...all of the feedback is left by sellers and all from users which are no longer registered. Hmmmmm... Yea, I'll take two of them thar electric tv boxes!

gary88
07-24-06, 11:54 AM
I would stay away from that guy. Everyone who left feedback for him is no longer a registered user, and since they have 0 feedback that leads to believe they are all were fake accounts. Just look at the item numbers, none of those previous auctions look legit at all. Plus it doesn't look like he uses paypal, a big ebay no-no :tisk:

Spyder
07-24-06, 12:08 PM
Ha...I just emailed the seller...asked how he got them so cheap because I really really want one but that I don't want to buy a stolen computer. We'll see how it goes.

Every once in a while when I'm really bored I'll screw with the Nigerian Scam guys too. It's always a good time. They get pretty pissed when you start asking them for the same information that they want. I've even been threatend by them before. Good times! :)

Elvis
07-24-06, 12:44 PM
There's a website somewhere that a guy uses to expose the Nigerians. He's gone after several and actually convinced some to send him cash via FedEx. He also gets them to take a Polaroid with a current newspaper. They are as stupid as their victims.

codewize
07-24-06, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't deal with Dell anyway. Buy an Acer product or an IBM. Something you can depend on and actually get serviced if need be. Not to mention that all of his feedbacks were left within 12 seconds. Yeah big scammer. The translation of the feedback itself is just as good as SPAM. LOL that's great. You should actually take the time to report this guy. eBay does listen and takes all reports seriously.

Tell me what you want and let me spec something for you.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-24-06, 03:21 PM
Tell me what you want and let me spec something for you.

thats a good idea IMO.

id rather have my pc built by someone who knows what theyre doing than to buy one off dell or hp or somethin

i built my own, i saved money cause i had a monitor already and i didnt have to pay for all kinds of extra software that id never use anyways (not to mention i know exactly what sofware is on it and why)

Elvis
07-24-06, 03:34 PM
The unique thing about that particular Dell is the case. All-in-one like a laptop, with a detachable wireless keyboard and a 20" screen.

Dell also has a model XPS 200 that really looks good to me. It's in a really small case and comes with a 19" monitor. I'm waiting until the end of the year to do anything.

I bought a pocket pc from Dell a few months ago and was very impressed with them. They're in a tight spot financially right now so I'm expecting to see some big deals offered soon.

Rolex
07-24-06, 04:50 PM
I's donts the know problem you'de having wit hims. Hims seemed teh honesty too mee. :rolleyes:

Elvis
07-24-06, 05:05 PM
I's donts the know problem you'de having wit hims. Hims seemed teh honesty too mee. :rolleyes:

Him did make happy you? Happiness of you very important is!

HITMONEY
07-24-06, 05:24 PM
There's a website somewhere that a guy uses to expose the Nigerians. He's gone after several and actually convinced some to send him cash via FedEx. He also gets them to take a Polaroid with a current newspaper. They are as stupid as their victims.

http://www.419eater.com/

I love that site.

:thumbsup:

Rolex
07-24-06, 05:26 PM
Him did make happy you? Happiness of you very important is!

Seller Yoda could be. :D

codewize
07-24-06, 09:26 PM
Lol you guys are pretty funny. Build or buy it depends on what you want. If you want specifics hardware and the bottom line isn't the issue then building is the way to go. If you want a good solid workstation with some wiggle room on options then buying from Acer or IBM may be the answer.

Many people don't know and haven't heard of Acer. You will. They're the company that's going to take Dell off the map. They've been selling computer hardware for 20 + years. IBM will cost you a little more than others but you get what you pay for.

Take a look at www.acer.com (http://www.acer.com). I hear you on the design but I hate Dell. Also see www.lenovo.com (http://www.lenovo.com)

HITMONEY
07-24-06, 09:41 PM
:yeah:

Exactly what he said, ACER and Lenovo are incredible alternatives, although Dell still rules the high end lappys with the XPS M1710 ( I am about a week away from getting mine)) and they also own Alienware which offers a ridiculous DUAL SLI GeForce Go 7900 GTX graphics cards. It's just sick, but it is also $4500.00 base price.

Elvis
07-24-06, 09:48 PM
I can remember the time when Acer=P.O.S.

IBM doesn't really exist anymore. We exclusively deal in Lenovo/IBM for our customers. Can't risk anything else. We've had some good luck with Compaq, but their configurations were unusual and we had to disable a bunch of stuff. Long time ago.

boricuacaddy
07-25-06, 01:57 PM
Well, it looks as if it was a scam after all, the site was pulled by ebay. It has been going on a lot lately, especially on high end items. Be careful on what you bid on now a days. Make sure the person is an established ebay seller and offers paypal! Even that might not guarantee anything but it will make the odds of getting ripped off minimal.

David

codewize
07-25-06, 02:34 PM
IBM most certainly exists. They're focusing on Server solutions and High end workstations. They sold the Thinkpad and ThinkCenter names to be branded as IBM to Lenovo which are still manufactured to IBM specifications.

All IBM servers and their new workstation line up are made right here in the USA.

I can remember the time when Acer=P.O.S.

IBM doesn't really exist anymore. We exclusively deal in Lenovo/IBM for our customers. Can't risk anything else. We've had some good luck with Compaq, but their configurations were unusual and we had to disable a bunch of stuff. Long time ago.

slk230mb
07-25-06, 02:36 PM
IBM most certainly exists. They're focusing on Server solutions and High end workstations. They sold the Thinkpad and ThinkCenter names to be branded as IBM to Lenovo which are still manufactured to IBM specifications.

All IBM servers and they're new workstaion line up are made right here in the USA.

We have a brand new IBM eServer that we setup not to long ago. The case and layout of the internals is exactly the same as another Dell PowerEdge 2800 we have. Coincidence, I think not. Who is copying who?

Elvis
07-25-06, 03:16 PM
IBM has made some monumental mistakes in the past 25 years.

Mistake #1 led to Bill Gates becoming the world's wealthiest man.

(I realize they're still around, but they could have been so much more.)

codewize
07-25-06, 04:16 PM
I would bet dollars to doughnuts Dell copied IBM, if any copying was done. Have you ever looked at an 20 or 30 year old IBM machine. There is one thing that IBM does well and that is design computers for enterprise environments.

One of the biggest reasons IBM came up short is because they were developing technologies in the 70's that they wouldn't sell and wouldn't let people reproduce, such as the MicroChannel Bus. Better than PCI, being produced in the early 70's. Never made it in anything other than an IBM machine because they wouldn't allow it.

I guess they were banking on things not changing the way they did and PC's not becoming commodities as they did. So at the end of the day IBM ended up being the least IBM compatible computer.

That's all changed and the excellent design remains. Dell has lot of problems, for one there support sucks. Now I will say I managed a PowerEdge 4400 and it was a sweet very redundant server, kudos to Dell. But try to get someone on the phone to help you with it or get parts for it.

Please see my article here (http://www.comdot.org/2005/01/award_winning_service_i_dont_t.html)

Having said that IBM doesn't need to copy anything. Their engineers are far more advanced that everyone at Dell combined. IBM designs and produces chips and controllers for things that people don't even know about. They have CPU's that will outperform any Intel made, but that's not their market. They make business machines. They did make some big financial mistakes but I think it was more taking risk than making mistakes.

As far as laptops go I cried the day I saw that Dell acquired Alienware. But then I was happy to read that the folks at Alienware stated in public that Dell would have nothing to do with the design or support of the Alienware products. Whew, good thing.

IBM (Lenovo) also makes some rock solid laptops BTW. The Thinkpads are killer and loaded with features.

illumina
07-25-06, 04:21 PM
Random keyboard stroke names, all within a few minutes of one another, the fact that the auction is now closed...Yeah, I would avoid that sale...:D :p

codewize
07-26-06, 09:45 AM
Here is an ACER press release I just received saying things that Dell hasn'e been able to say for years.

Acerís Market Share in LCD Displays Continues to Leap Forward
Company sees 63% year-on-year increase in shipments; Maintains number one standalone LCD ranking

SAN JOSE, Calif., July 24, 2006 Ė Acer America Corporation, one of the leading worldwide suppliers of IT solutions, today announced that they increased their position as the number three provider LCDís in the North American market during Q1 2006 according to DisplaySearch. Acer showed a 63% increase in shipments when comparing Q1 2005 to Q1 2006, versus the industry average of 25%. After focusing on the LCD monitor market Acer has grown its North American marketshare consistently, rising from a 0.7% share in Q1í04 to a 6.7 % marketshare position in Q1í06

Acer stepped up its total North American LCD shipments from Q4 2005 to Q1 2006 by 4 percent, despite the quantity of units shipping industry-wide during this time period declining by 6 percent. During the quarter, Acer was the only company among the top three to grow the quantity of units shipped sequentially.

"Acerís ability to grow its unit volume shipments into North America from 31,000 units in the first quarter of 2004 to over 600,000 into this same market in the first quarter of this year is truly a remarkable achievement" said Chris Connery, vice president of market research at DisplaySearch. "While the LCD monitor market has been one of the hottest areas of growth in technology in the last two years, witnessing a unit volume growth of 86% in North America alone, Acerís growth in that same period of over 1800% is almost unprecedented."

About Acer America Corporation
Established in 1984 as a subsidiary of Acer Inc., Acer America Corporation designs and markets client and server solutions for professionals who require reliability, enhanced productivity and greater value of ownership. Acer ranks as the world's No. 4 branded PC vendor, designing easy, dependable IT solutions that empower people to reach their goals and enhance their life. Since spinning-off its manufacturing operation, Acer has focused on globally marketing its brand-name products: mobile and desktop PCs, servers, LCD monitors and e-business solutions for business, government, education, and home users. Acer's unique Channel Business Model has been instrumental in the company's latest success. The model encourages partners and suppliers to collaborate in a winning formula of supply-chain management, allowing Acer to provide customers with fresh technologies, competitive pricing, and quality service. Established in 1976, Acer Inc. employs 5,600 people supporting dealers and distributors in more than 100 countries. Revenues in 2005 reached US$9.7 billion. Please visit www.acer.com/us.